Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
thlax
thlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My Nook Touch is here!

This is my first and last post. I doubt I will ever be here again, as i mainly used this website to follow any news on the new Nook.

However, I wanted to sign up and post just how amazing this little guy is!

I saw the nook was shipping early, so on 6/2 at 2am I ordered a nook with the expedited delivery. It arrived today 6/3 and all i have to say is wow!

I was previously using my ipad2, then borrowed a kindle3 to try out before the nook came in (i previously has a kindle 2).

The nook looks a lot smaller, yet right. The bezels are NOT as big as they appear in the pictures online. Images made them look HUGE. They're really not. They're just right

They keys on the bezel are a little weird to push, as its a certain spot you have to hit, where as the kindle was a whole button. I just tap the edge of the screen as i did on my ipad. NO FINGER PRINTS. I hate when people say thats why they're not interested. Unless you just ate a cake with your hands you dont need to worry.

My main wonder/worry was i heard so-so comments on the selecting of text for lookup/highlight.....all i have to say is there is no problem. One must just get used to going a little slower to be precise and realize eink doesnt go as fast as other screens. Otherwise, its not a problem at all. Does its job just as id like to to make looking up words even easier by just touching them!

To wake the nook, you first push the N home button, then slide the bottom of the screen. Both must be done.

I love having my own pictures as a screen saver! When you plug in your nook to the computer, open my files folder in the nook, and then screen savers, dont just drag and drop photos in. MAKE A FOLDER WITHIN the screen saver folder...then drag and drop pics into that. (name the folder with one word).

As i mentioned i mainly just tap to change pages, also swipe every now and then. I dont think ill use the physical buttons. I do like however that you can speed through books using them.

It does feel lighter in one hand compared to the kindle 3. The thickness is just right, especially the texture on the back and the shape.

Keyboard is easy as well to type on, just take your time if you arent a good with virtual keyboards. No worries.

I did convert some kindle books of mine and have them on the nook, they work great.--google how if you need help...cant really talk about it in forums

I think thats all for now.

If you dont have an ereader and are getting your first. This nook is THE one to get. If you have a kindle3, and enjoy it...stay with it. If the features of the nook (test one in store) are worth switching, id fully support you.

If youll have any specific questions feel free to ask and ill test them out on the nook. Sorry for the long post, i didnt edit it either...

-David
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Do you notice any of the screen ghosting people are talking about due to the 5-6 page screen refresh delay?

People say you can see the cover images from your shelves when you first open a book, or you can see words from the previous pages....
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
thlax
thlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enoughthlax will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Do you notice any of the screen ghosting people are talking about due to the 5-6 page screen refresh delay?

People say you can see the cover images from your shelves when you first open a book, or you can see words from the previous pages....
no ghosting during reading that ive noticed, but sometimes theres something left over from the home screen for a page. Also if you load your on pictures for screen saver, i once noticed the outline of the battery message that popped up was still visible.

Nothing to cry about
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlax View Post

Nothing to cry about
You'd be amazed the things people cry about!!! which is why I've mentioned the ghosting in my reviews of the Touch

Last edited by negris123; 06-04-2011 at 08:03 AM.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
From the images I've seen, ghosting seems to be a film-negative kind of effect, which really wouldn't interfere with reading.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
... which really wouldn't interfere with reading.
I am sure a lot of people disagree
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I am sure a lot of people disagree
It doesn't happen often with my Sony 350, but when it does it can be really distracting. With Sony Readers you simply page forward the page backward to solve the ghosting. With the Kindles you can press ALT + G to refresh the page. I'm not sure what you would do on the Nook STR since it only refreshes every 6th page. I guess you can page forward a number of times until the screen refreshes then page back the same number of times, but that would be kluge to say the least.

I really think B&N needs to rethink the 6th page refresh. But I doubt they will. B&N seems to be as stubborn and ill attentive to their customers's requests as does Zuckerturd of Facecrap fame.

Zuckerturd, "What do you mean our Facecrap security settings are difficult to understand? You just need to get over it!"