Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
iLiad Battery Hacks: Part 1 (the basics) -- Now in verse!

Part I: The Audacious Beginning

Gather, my friends, and you shall hear
Of iLiad hacks to stun your ears
With awe, surprise, and even fear.

Bright the day and warm the dawn,
I thought my pad a little long
In tooth, so I went bravely on

Into the case, there I did find
Two batt'ries rated (not too kind):
Just 4k Coulombs -- clearly signed.

"Not much," I thought, "for what I need"
And steeled myself to do the deed
Guided by the helpful words
Of Calviny, my friend in need.

Part II: The Hopeful Journey

Ambitious, I yet dared still more,
Proceeding Netward to the store
I found two cells with even more!

Yes, 10k Coulombs! That would serve
To give the iLiad vim and verve,
So I went forward with my nerve.
  • Took out small and added broader,
  • Fastened on with bits of solder:
  • Doesn't really look much odder.
They fit quite snug within the shell,
And even with some batt'ry swell.
No need to mod that trim design:
The case will close precisely well.

Part III: Dismay, then Victory

Now turn it on-- and does it run?
It does! But sadly, not much fun:
Eleven hours, then it's done.

I search, I search, I search some more:
Some code, internal hardware tour...
Until my brain begins to snore.

The details not important here
Will all be told soon-- never fear!
Solution? Yes! (But second-tier.)

You all have waited far too long
Through this, my silly rhyming song,
To know the end of which you seek:
Results of this, my iLiad tweak:

I turned it on, I let it run,
For 35 hours! Wow -- I won!

:

Last edited by jharker; 10-19-2008 at 02:44 AM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

For those of you who are wondering, I used Coulombs to describe the battery ratings because "1.1 Amp-hours" just doesn't scan. Believe me, I tried.

Anyway, 3.6 Coulombs = 1 mAh. So the iLiad initially had two batteries, each rated 1100 mAh or 3960 Coulombs, about 4k. I installed two new batteries with 2800 mAh each, or 10080 Coulombs, about 10k. Turns out the numbers are much rounder in Coulombs anyway. Cheers!
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
35 Hour battery life?!?! That's amazing.

What was the problem that caused you to only get 11 hours?

Do you have pictures and instructions for this project? Now that many iLiad owners are out of warranty, it may be a very worthwhile project.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
jharker
Developer

I'll post pictures and some programs/code, probably later today or tomorrow. That's part 2.

The short answer for the "only 11 hours" result was that the iLiad continued to think the battery was still the old 1100 mAh one. It is supposed to be able to revise its estimate both up and down, but I was unable to figure out how to make it do that. So I would turn the iLiad on, and it would shut off once it had used up 1100 mAh of power. Hence, about 10-12 hours of on time, max, even though the new battery still had loads of capacity.

One of my big questions about Calviny's post is that he said the battery monitor still worked fine for him, and that he got a 21-hour battery life almost immediately. That wasn't the case for me at all-- I'd love to figure out how it worked for him.

As a side note, I discovered that having the stylus out of the holder has almost no effect on the power draw, but turning on ethernet and dropbear more than doubles the power draw.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
35 hours...With this, standby mode is no more a necessay feature (though still desired). Do you modified innerspace of iLiad? I can't figure it out from your poem. Waiting for pictures and detailed info.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
jharker
Developer

Here you go! I posted pictures and a detailed how-to guide in this thread.

I'll add the programs on Monday. On Monday I'll also add Part 3 which will contain technical details for the curious and masochistic.