Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
types of speech marks + how best to edit.

whereas a printed book will use single or double curly quotes for speech , many e-books have this style:

`Next week?'

i.e. an opening quote mark slants at 45 degrees, the matching, closing quote is vertical.

( but when I paste it from e-book to here it becomes slanted like this
`Next week?’ )

only two out of three on my keyboard ` ' but not ’ ?
i don't know their technical names.

My keyboard also has a double quote key ", but does not have curly quote pairs ?

the smarten punctuation feature in calibre does not seem to change from `' to "" ""

so : couple of questions - what format(s) for speech marks are considered to be correct, in the world of publishing, and what is the easiest route from what I now have in many e-books i,e, from `speech' to "speech" or to speech in curly quotes ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
whereas a printed book will use single or double curly quotes for speech , many e-books have this style:

`Next week?'

i.e. an opening quote mark slants at 45 degrees, the matching, closing quote is vertical.
Interesting. I've never seen this. I consider it to be an error.
Quote:
( but when I paste it from e-book to here it becomes slanted like this
`Next week?’ )
That's because it's fixing the error.

Quote:
My keyboard also has a double quote key ", but does not have curly quote pairs ?
There are a limited number of keys, but many programs will autoconvert, or you can type it in from the keyboard using a code to get the characters you want.
Quote:
the smarten punctuation feature in calibre does not seem to change from `' to "" ""
It probably sees the error and ignores it. It wouldn't change to double quotes anyway, just form single quotes to smart single quotes.
Quote:
so : couple of questions - what format(s) for speech marks are considered to be correct, in the world of publishing, and what is the easiest route from what I now have in many e-books i,e, from `speech' to "speech" or to speech in curly quotes ?
I'd search and replace the vertical quote to closing smart vertical quote.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A simple search and replace to change ` to ' should do the trick for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote