Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Sideloaded book on homescreen solution for Rooted NC

I found a solution with a little help in regards to putting links to sideloaded books, etc. on your homescreens in rooted nook colors.

I'm creating this thread as I discussed this with a few members right when the NC came out. It was my only true gripe with the machine. It is now perfect for me. Even with rooted NC's, you still can't put shortcuts onto the homescreens of launchers like ADW or Zeam, etc. The Nook standard homescreen is still out regardless, but who with a rooted nook color is using that one anyways. Zeam is my launcher of choice.

So, to get this to work install the following:

Zeam or any other launcher like ADW or Launcher Pro
Astro File Manager
Desktop Visualizer
(All are free in market)

Open Astro and go to preferences. Choose "Edit File Extensions" under Data. Choose "New Extension".

Extension Name: epub (no . in there, just epub)
Mime Type: application
SubType: epub (again, no . in there, just epub)
Save
Exit Astro

Long press on Home screen
Add widget (In Zeam it's "Add Item" then "Widget")
Select whatever size Desktop Visualizer Widget
Select Icon (Choose whatever you want, which is awesome)
Select Action, choose "Other", Choose "ASTRO"
Find and select your file
Rename it if you choose
Hit OK for File Name
Hit OK on bottom of Desktop Visualizer
Choose Widget span, click OK

Direct link from icon on homescreen to default BN reader.

I am primarily using this as a reader and I know it's quick to just go to the library and to my shelves, but for the one or two books that I'm reading right now, I really wanted a quick link directly to them. This is the cleanest. I also downloaded a couple cool picture files from the web and converted them to transparent background .png files. They look good when used as icons for books and comics.

They are located here. Just store them on your machine somewhere and choose them from "Gallery" when using Desktop Visualizer. That's if you want to use them and don't want to use your own. I could get covers of each book but that would be too time consuming. I wanted something quick that I could use over and over again. They're kind of fun and look good on the NC screens as small icons.

Now, I just found these two images online and made their backgrounds transparant and made them png format. I don't think they are copyrighted, but if they actually are and the owners want me to take these images down, I of course will. I highly doubt it as I'm just using them as widget shortcut images. But, just wanted to throw that out there.

mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Very creative. Thanks for sharing.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a way to link to books stored in the device memory and not a storage card? I was looking for "Root Explorer" instead of "Astro" as a choice for "Action" / "Other", but it's not there.

Edit: Duh, never mind. Changed my preferred home directory in Astro to "/" instead of the default "/sdcard".

Edit: This is fabulous! I'm able to easily use my book covers as icons because when I select the book, the cover image (in a separate file) is there as well (thanks to calibre!). Some images look better than others depending on the source.

Ha, Ha, Ha...Take that Barnes and Noble! We don't need your homescreen for our sideloaded books!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-26-2.png
Views:	558
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	63570  

Last edited by SCION; 12-26-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad5427 View Post
The Nook standard homescreen is still out regardless, but who with a rooted nook color is using that one anyways.
Funny you mention this, because prior to your solution I was still accessing the standard homescreen in order to quickly get to my recent reads. It wasn't a chore because it just took a long press of the soft home button using Softkeys.

Last edited by SCION; 12-21-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Hi, Mad! I was just about to post a link to the XDA thread about this.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Hi, Mad! I was just about to post a link to the XDA thread about this.
Ha. I posted it here as I came here first when I got the NC. I found out about XDA through here. I got into a discussion about sideloading epub and personal books and how they couldn't be put onto the homescreen. It's been my mission since day one to solve that as I truly wanted this device as an eReader first and putting sideloaded stuff on the homescreen is important to me as I own nothing from BN and have a ridiculous amount of ePub books.

I love how this solution of Astro and Desktop Visualizer works with pretty much everything. Also, anybody reading this, RoboRay made the simple suggestion of adding epub to the preferences of Astro. Fixed that problem right up.

I now wonder if there is any way that there could be a shortcut to the BN Shelves location. I'd love to be able to hit one widget from the homescreen and go right to my shelves.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Whirlspell
Whirlspell has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook Color
THANK YOU!

Big thanks to both Mad5427 and to Scion.

I got my NC 2 days ago and have naturally been tweaking the hell out of it ever since. I'm running ADB and finally don't have any reason to load the B&N launcher! Calibre's file structuring with the cover images is a major blessing, and using Mad's widget method to get covers as shortcuts onto the homescreen is just AWESOME. I finally feel like I've got an awesome tablet with some powerful eReader software behind it.

Here's a screenshot -- it's a cam shot as I don't have my sd card installed right now to save screens to (left it at work over the holiday -- doh!)

Whirlspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

That rocks Whirlspell! You've made us proud.

You can clear the labels on the books if you want.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Bump, for new rooters.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlspell View Post
Here's a screenshot -- it's a cam shot as I don't have my sd card installed right now to save screens to (left it at work over the holiday -- doh!)
Actually, I think it saves screenshots on the internal memory, and you can attach an image right to the post using the advance > manage attachments.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Thanks a lot for this descriptions, works great!

Do you know how I could manipulate this explanation to work for B&Ns emagazines? I tried the above way with the ending I get in Astro for the magazine and the file is opening, but in the normal reader, not in the whatever-programm-is-used. Any clues?
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post

Do you know how I could manipulate this explanation to work for B&Ns emagazines? I tried the above way with the ending I get in Astro for the magazine and the file is opening, but in the normal reader, not in the whatever-programm-is-used. Any clues?
I tried that as well. Same result as you. Maybe someone was successful.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #13
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post

Has anyone come up with a solution yet? Bet, SCION and I would appreciate it very very much!
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
toastayy
Nameless Being

Hmm, sorry to bump a 2 month old thread, but I'm having a little problem with this nice tweak.

Whenever I try to read a book following the Astro and Desktop Visualizer to Home screen link, the bookreader program, and adobe force closes on me.

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm using laucherpro if that's of any use.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Alexpride
Enthusiast
Alexpride began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900, Nook Color
Please help!

I'm having trouble selecting the image of the .pdf, it isn't showing up after being selected. same with epub.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Alexpride; 03-09-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Alexpride is offline   Reply With Quote