Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 11-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #16
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
BBeBook is focused on creating re-flowable BBeB documents from plain text, HTML and PDF's. It offers full support for all of the Dublin Core meta data and is Unicode clean. It can also rasterize PDF's into "picture" books.
Is there a place other than the Yahoo groups to get the most recent version? I hate dealing with Yahoo's ridiculous sign-in and account management.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
With the consent from the folks who originally uploaded the files to Yahoo, we could host the files here as well. Is anyone in contact with them?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #18
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Question Soft hyphen

When I download LRF files from the Manybooks online site they flow and apparently are soft hyphenated. I can change the font and the margins align at each size. According to the web site notes they seem to use Makelrf 0.3. I have tried that program and my lrfs do not come out with soft hyphens. Is there any software out there now that will create lrfs with soft hyphens?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Perhaps they replaced all the hyphens in the text with soft hyphens before they ran it through Makelrf? That's just a guess.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #20
fireproof
Enthusiast
fireproof began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|TX, Sony Reader^H^H^H^H, iLiad, iPhone
outline of HTML -> LRF using makelrf 0.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo
When I download LRF files from the Manybooks online site they flow and apparently are soft hyphenated. I can change the font and the margins align at each size. According to the web site notes they seem to use Makelrf 0.3. I have tried that program and my lrfs do not come out with soft hyphens. Is there any software out there now that will create lrfs with soft hyphens?
Seriously, I do use makelrf 0.3! (I just checked my script to be certain).

The text files from PG are converted to an interim HTML, as a first step. That includes reflowing all the linebreaks using "gut".

After that, depending on the output format, extra linefeeds are removed, HTML tags are stripped, and the temp text file is saved as book.txt.

The script makes an info.xml and a image.gif file for makelrf to use, and then runs a command like this:

Code:
makelrf -x info.xml -o outputfile.lrf -i /tmp/image.gif -a "Author Name" /tmp/image.gif -f '/tmp/book.txt'
Perhaps your text files have hard line-breaks at the end of each line?
fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #21
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Your guess was right. The document that I used to test RTF2LRF had hard returns. Have now done several others without a prob. Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:23 AM   #22
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

There's so many apps mentioned in this thread and in others. Can we maybe make a wiki that organizes it all? I'm finding myself a bit overwhelmed.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #23
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
I've posted this in threads for other conversion software but I thought it would be useful for Book Designer which I think is and excellent tool. I know that plans "are afoot" to take care of hard CRs. Maybe the following would be appropriate also.
I think would be helpful in ALL the programs that generate file formats that present well on the SONY Reader.

I find reading a bit awkward when one part of the sentence is on one page and one on the next page. I think an orphan control feature would be helpful. Maybe it needs to be more complex than IF SENTENCE DOESN"T FIT GO TO NEW PAGE because with large font size(TR 16-TR18)and small display size , long sentences would leave some pages very short as they are moved to the next page. Maybe for sentences less than ## characters the rule would hold but for other a break in the sentence across pages would be "a necessary evil" <grin>
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #24
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
There's so many apps mentioned in this thread and in others. Can we maybe make a wiki that organizes it all? I'm finding myself a bit overwhelmed.
I thought the same thing. I put together a Wiki page on the BBeB Binder site. After I did that I came across this page on the MobileRead Wiki. I like mine better , but I'm not sure which is most up to date.
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #25
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
We are in the process of putting together a new conversion page for the MobileRead Wiki located at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion

It is still a work in progress and I hope to finish it by Monday night (Eastern US time.) The goal is to incorporate the latest references from within MobileRead and external references for the code where needed.

As always, comments, suggestions, and corrections are welcome (requested, wanted.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #26
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Arrow

I've found PDFRastafarian (the latest beta) to be the best convertor so far for PDF's. This program is simply amazing with what it does to the PDF's I have (many just weren't quite readable as they were and this made them fit perfect). I don't really care too much for the auto-margin option, as it hasn't worked as expected (had a few teeny-tiny books as a result; e.g., postage stamp size!).

I've also used lit2lrf-0.5 with pretty good success, though I don't care too much for the way it totally ermoves margins in the resultant lrf (I tend to like a little white space around the edges, as it's easier for me to follow the flow). Still a great product!

I'd like to try BBeBook, but I've yet to find a compiled version and don't want to fiddle with compiling it myself. I checked the Yahoo group and the compiled jar errored out, seemed to be missing a "main class manifest" and the other jar include didn't seem to do anything but open PDF's. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction to a step-by-step guide, if there is one. If not, perhaps someone could write on up?

These tools are excellent, hopefully more people will rate what their favorites are and what they like/dislike about them to help guide up n00bs.

Last edited by Azayzel; 01-18-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #27
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

thanks re pdfrasterfarian. p.s. i've fixed the postage-stamp bug in 2.1.4
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:50 PM   #28
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Hello there!

I would like to learn how to create ebooks for my Sony Reader but I have a hard time reading on the screen of my PC... Is there any tutorial easily readable on the Sony Reader?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:19 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This oneIsn't formatted for the Reader (too many graphics) but it is only 35 pages, so it's relatively short to print out. That might get you some distance.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #30
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I don't have a printer at the moment, but I guess I should print it at my local Kinkos.

PS: Isn't it ironic that none of these tutorials are meant to be read on the Reader?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote