Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
jonj
jonj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Easiest way to start creating .mobi from HTML using C#?

My language of choice is C#. I've gotten a feel for the Huffman algorithms that mobi seems to be based on. However, being new to algorithms and compression coding I'm seeking some guidance. What would be the best way to begin creating a C# library for .mobi conversion? (HTML to .mobi)... Is there anything out there like this already short of calling a command line (which I don't want to do)?
jonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I honestly have to ask what the point in reinventing the wheel is. The official Mobi tools, Mobipocket Creator, and its command-line equivalent, "mobigen", are the "standard" way of doing it. I'm not denigrating your desire to write a useful program in C#, but this doesn't really sound like a very productive way to use your time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonj View Post
My language of choice is C#. I've gotten a feel for the Huffman algorithms that mobi seems to be based on. However, being new to algorithms and compression coding I'm seeking some guidance. What would be the best way to begin creating a C# library for .mobi conversion? (HTML to .mobi)... Is there anything out there like this already short of calling a command line (which I don't want to do)?
Yes there are three open source tools that generate MOBI files. All of the tools start from HTML then convert to MOBi. Partly because mobi is nothing more than a Palm Database file with HTML stored in the database.

The tools are, Calibre, eBookTools, and mobiperl. Calibre is written in Python, and the other two are written in perl. Calibre has a GUI, but in the end they are nothing more than comand line tools.

Look in the MobiRead Wiki page for more information on the MOBI format.

What you are proposing to do is not a light and easy task. All of the tools listed today do an okay job creating MOBI. Only calibre does a good job, (mobigen/Mobi Creator are also great) but that is only because calibre has spent years perfecting this

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
slcoleg
slcoleg began at the beginning.

I think there are a couple of good reasons to port existing app to C# or Java:
1. Java and C# are more popular languages, so we will have a better support for new engine than we have now.
2. 99% of existing apps have something missing or very generic. Mostly you have yo use 2 or more app to do simple stuff.
3. Performance and extensibilty are another reasons.
4. name it yourself, but it will be a huge list.

Thanks for advise.

O/
slcoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly have to ask what the point in reinventing the wheel is. The official Mobi tools, Mobipocket Creator, and its command-line equivalent, "mobigen", are the "standard" way of doing it. I'm not denigrating your desire to write a useful program in C#, but this doesn't really sound like a very productive way to use your time.
Harry, I just went to mobipocket.com and when I clicked on the Mobipocket Creator 4.2 download button, the following message poped up:
Quote:
System Requirements:
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
Do you know if the software is compatible with newer versions of Windows?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Harry, I just went to mobipocket.com and when I clicked on the Mobipocket Creator 4.2 download button, the following message poped upo you know if the software is compatible with newer versions of Windows?
Yes, Mobi Creator works fine with both 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows 7.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks, Harry. (Off to download.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Raptyr
Raptyr began at the beginning.

Having done precisely what JonJ proposed to do (Its a developer thing, we have to write our own at least once :-P) I now have a C# program that reads .MOBI, .AZW and .PRC files (lets face it, they're all the same thing) but I can only create uncompressed files. My compressed files (using the LZ77 algorithm) look fine, and my reader can read them fine, but they crash the Kindle for PC app. Which forum should I use to discuss this, because I'd really like to put this little app to bed.
Raptyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This forum is the correct place.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Limey
Limey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with othersLimey plays well with others

*EDITED* - nevermind, I think Caliber will suit my needs!

Last edited by Limey; 12-10-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.net c#, conversion, creation, html, mobi