Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #31
Fiona
Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Mobi for Nokia N95; Hanlin V3; Sony PRS350; Kindle for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Hi Mneme, all HanLin V5s that we sell, including the smaller version of the ECO Reader (if we release this - I hope we will) have the same local technical support (Melbourne) as the ECO Reader, including firmware updates via our local server and compatibility with all the ebooks in our ebook store.

Hi cbell, is it possible to do firmware down-dates as well as updates? I would like to buy a Hanlin V3 clone, and would prefer to support an Australian business. But I have lots of ebooks in Mobi DRM format; is it possible for me to buy an ECO reader and then install the older Hanlin firmware that supports Mobi DRM???

Sorry if this is a silly question, kind regards, fiona.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #32
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
Hi cbell, is it possible to do firmware down-dates as well as updates? I would like to buy a Hanlin V3 clone, and would prefer to support an Australian business. But I have lots of ebooks in Mobi DRM format; is it possible for me to buy an ECO reader and then install the older Hanlin firmware that supports Mobi DRM???

Sorry if this is a silly question, kind regards, fiona.
May I jump in? And despite having the same surname I'm no relation to CBell.

Wouldn't it be simpler to remove the DRM? It's a bit picky to set up, but not hard to do.

There is no record of anyone ever being sued or charged for doing it - and if anyone was ever sued they could not lose because the complainant would have to show that some harm was done to them.

There is a very long thread on the Mobi forum giving hints on how to do it, and private messages also work.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #33
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi Fiona, I've been reading on my Nokia N95 for a couple of years. It's not as nice as reading on an e-Ink device, but it's always with me and I read anytime I can. I'm reading War and Peace on my N95 now.

I have an idea for you and I'll send you a PM. See top right of the page - Private Messages.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #34
Borris
Borris is on a distinguished road

Device: eco reader
Hi there,

I'm in New Zealand and have just ordered an eco reader, & have been given a shop one to play with until my one arrives.

The reasons I bought an eco reader are:
It shows up as a hard drive on your computer without loading any software
It has a USB port
It isn't wireless
It isn't back lit & is e ink
It supports standard non proprietary formats
It is available in New Zealand

I had collected a lot of really good e texts that i was unable to read. I could only read for short stretches on my computer & I wanted to read them so I wanted an e reader. As above eco reader fitted the bill.

I purchased mine without ever having seen one in real life. My initial impression was that it was smaller than i thought it would be and the paper wasn't as white as I thought it would be.

Having trialled it for just over a day I can now say that I like it. The screen which seemed a bit small is actually quite a nice size for reading, I find books with too long lines are a bit hard to read. I have had extended bouts of reading and i have not stopped at anytime due any problem with the screen. Another thing that i noticed is that having no facing page as with a book is an advantage, as the facing page can be a distraction.

I have some questions though, I'm wanting to work out what the best format for putting books onto eco reader is. I tried first with pdfs & found and the 18 point font size, an A5 sheet size with 0 or .1 cm margins displayed well but the magnification didn't work well as it would wrap the end of the text onto it's own line, making crazy long and short lines. The pdfs also didn't display page numbers and i like to see how far through a book I am.

I have tried txt file and it seemed to work pretty well it did display page numbers & the magnify function worked well. I had one try at a .doc and it left in a big margin around the text even though I'd taken it out.

I am using Open Office and text edit (a simple Mac text tool) to create my documents. Any recommendations?

Final comment with one of these devices what a wealth of reading is at your disposal.

Cheers

Borris
Borris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #35
Borris

I just realised that the pdfs do display the page number on the bottom line when you click the OK button. Just finished reading my first book on it, good stuff.
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #36
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Hi Borris,

I personally can recommend epub as a file format. Many people with ereaders use a program called Calibre which will do file conversions for you (quick google will find it, and there is a sub-forum here at MR for Calibre help).

Best suggestion overall I can make is to look at the list of file formats supported by the Eco Reader, use Calibre to convert a book to each of those formats and view each of them on your Eco Reader and decide for yourself. Epub however seems a widely accepted format, especially for buying ebooks.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #37
Borris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Hi Borris,

I personally can recommend epub as a file format. Many people with ereaders use a program called Calibre which will do file conversions for you (quick google will find it, and there is a sub-forum here at MR for Calibre help).

Best suggestion overall I can make is to look at the list of file formats supported by the Eco Reader, use Calibre to convert a book to each of those formats and view each of them on your Eco Reader and decide for yourself. Epub however seems a widely accepted format, especially for buying ebooks.
Thanks Solicitous, have downloaded Calibre, great application for organising my books, very easy to install and set up. I look forward to playing with formats & finding what I like best.

Tags
australia eco