Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
iRex vanished away?

Or bankrupt? Or on holiday? Or just blatantly disorganized?

I'm not a very happy customer at the moment because iRex has had my reader for battery and case upgrade for about 8 weeks.

That would just be plain annoying. If you add that they do not respond to email it get's worse.

Unfortunately they reached another level in customer-service:
Their support phone numbers do not work anymore!

I must say that iRex - while having a fine product - easily manages having the worst customer service I yet experienced.

So, what's up, iRex?
Did you shut down operation?
Did anyone see, hear or speak to any iRex representative lately?
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I have no clue but the good news if you want to call it good news, I connected to iRex from the reader. Consider the server running as a bit of good news. Looks like they are still in business. They need to realize that even if they have the best product in the world it means nothing without excellent customer service. Hope things work out for you.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r View Post
Unfortunately they reached another level in customer-service:
Their support phone numbers do not work anymore!
They've recently moved their support from an outsourced third party, to handling it themselves. That's why the old phone numbers don't work anymore. Did you try opening a support ticket on their website?

http://support.irexnet.com/
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
k2r
Zealot

Well, obviously they're still around with another - tempting - device.
However, they answered my request and wrote something along the lines that they had batteries now and would repair my device "real soon now".
Still I think more than two months of waiting without notice an abysmal customer experience. For me it's the second contact to iRex customer support - the first contact was the same.

This will keep me from buying the new, bigger device until I know whether it is so much better than the plastic logic one that it's worth experiencing the iRex customer service again.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
genome2k
Enthusiast
genome2k began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ILIAD
Likewise I believe the manual iRex provides is the worst ever I have seen.

This menu is way too much over simplified. I'd rather call it a quick guide than to a full manual. I had to grind my head away at it from google and forums like mobileread to get information which should have been provided by the manual.

Take it for instance, the manual has never mentioned when you put the stylus back in slot and keep the iLiad running, the WACOM touch screen automatically sleeps and thus power consumption is greatly reduced than to have the stylus out of the slot.

The itch about the manual: if they could have provide a print version of iLiad it would not be deemed an indiginity to the product. Why not just be more considerate for someone who has just has iLiad on hand and has no idea how to operate it? He would even have no idea even how to navigate through the "e-manual"!
genome2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by genome2k View Post
The itch about the manual: if they could have provide a print version of iLiad it would not be deemed an indiginity to the product. Why not just be more considerate for someone who has just has iLiad on hand and has no idea how to operate it? He would even have no idea even how to navigate through the "e-manual"!
Unfortunately most companies have gone this route with computers and consumer electronics, even if the cost savings are minimal.

I wonder if anyone has worked out how many calls to helplines might have been saved if the information was easily available in a paper manual. Now I don't know about you, but trying to explain to someone over the phone as to where the manual should be (on CD or on the machine) is an exercise in frustration.

Still, it does make you appreciate the companies that actually do go and put Printed Full Manual's in their products,
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
k2r
Zealot

Another week

still no Iliad.

I sent another support ticket.
I ordered my Iliad on 9. Oct 2006, I'm wondering if they manage to send back the upgraded device until the 9. Oct 2008. If I sum everything up that would mean that my Iliad has spent about 1/5 of it's lifetime somewhere at the iRex European epicentre of good customer support.

Pah!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
k2r
Zealot

...or worse?

I ordered my repair voucher on Tuesday 26 February, 2008, wow!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
What ever you do, do not keep a line of communication running on a preexisting ticket. They will not respond in my experience. You will need to start a new ticket for every communication to stand any chance of a response at all.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #10
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel
I do work at iRex, and we do read e-mails and the person handling the shops is having a backload of e-mails to answer due to the many info requests.
This might be relevant
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
k2r
Zealot

> the person handling the shops is having a backload of e-mails
> to answer due to the many info requests.

I doubt that annoying an existing customer by keeping his ereader hostage for months twice is a cheaper way to generate business than to annoying potential new customers by making them wait on info requests.

What is the period of time an iRex customer is required to wait patiently to get his property back?
Half a year? A year? A decade? Until the heat-death of the universe?

Will they expand my warranty for this period?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
What ever you do, do not keep a line of communication running on a preexisting ticket. They will not respond in my experience. You will need to start a new ticket for every communication to stand any chance of a response at all.
Thanks, I'll open another ticked tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
k2r
Zealot

iLiad is back

sortof.
The official statement is that my iLiad was beyond repair so they sent me a new device. Thank you iRex.

When I sent my iLiad back to iRex for the battery and case upgrade it was working, just the buttons looked a bit worn off. The screen had to be exchanged half a year ago, so it was in quite a good condition.
Whatever happened to the device in the period of time between now and then may be one of the many reasons that made iRex change support companies.

However, I'm fine with the solution and if I read a dozen or so stories of good customer support from now on I may consider buying the newer, bigger device.

Now of course the developer site is down, so I cannot request the shell package, but I guess it will not take four months :-)

#!chris