Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
I assume that books are also bigger in Texas?
Some seem to be.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #32
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I am retired and I read almost everyday. I am not a fast reader so it can take me a week to a month to finish a book. But I am always reading between 4 and 6 books at a time. I find that when I first start a book I will only read a chapter then put the book down. But once I have only about 30% of the book left to read I will read it until it is finished.
A lot of what I read is the Bible, and Bible studies.

And once I finish a book I find that I need to take a break for a few days before starting another book.
That pretty much describes me. I have around 3 books in different genres going and when I get close to the end of one of them I finish it off.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #33
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's irrelevant how long the train is. The issue is that British law requires you to be in control of your vehicle at all times when it's on the road, and hence doing things like reading, using a mobile phone, or even drinking from a bottle of water, are all illegal while stopped at traffic lights, railway crossings, and so on.
When you're waiting 20 minutes or more for a train to go by, you can turn off the engine and read and still be completely in control of your car. And when you're sitting in a line of cars that may extend for a couple of miles, I hope the police have better things to do than ticket people for reading while they wait, even if they could physically get to you. (I can imagine several similar situations, such as waiting for a draw bridge or in a ferry line.)

That being said, in my own state there are specific laws about texting and cell phones but none (to my knowledge) about reading. There are, however, the all-encompassing negligent or reckless driving laws that could be applied if an officer noticed you trying to read while driving. I'm surprised about the drinking ban in the UK - every car has cupholders, and many people sip on a beverage while they drive.
GlennD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #34
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
... I'm surprised about the drinking ban in the UK - every car has cupholders, and many people sip on a beverage while they drive.
I was surprised too, so I took some advice. There isn't a ban nor is it illegal.

While eating and drinking while driving are discouraged in the UK Highway Code, for example, there is no specific legislation making it an offence by itself. As in other countries if doing these things (or any other distracting thing) and an accident results through that, or one is driving demonstrating a distracted manner during such activities then a charge for that may result.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The law in the US varies from state to state. In the fine state of Georgia, where both Apache and I live, there is an exception to the law when parked. I'm pretty sure sitting at a railroad crossing with your engine turned off is considered parked. It wouldn't work well for me since I tend to block everything else out around me when I read. That's one of the big reasons I listen to audiobooks in the car, well that and I get car sick when I try to read in the car.
I feel for you. The southern states are like another planet.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-23-2015 at 07:50 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I grew up reading in cars and do get car sick. I've found techniques to minimize it, but otherwise just accept it and still read when I'm a passenger.
I read a lot in the car when I was younger. My dad had cars that had a light in the back so I was able to read still in the dark. I don't get any sort of motion sickness. Even in a boat in rough seas I'll be good. So reading in the car is not a problem. I still do it when I'm not the driver.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I feel for you. The southern states are like another planet.
The same could be said for the northeast.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #38
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My problem is I find it to be an awful book.
I read "Atlas Shrugged" sometimes back in the 1960s, I think, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had already read "The Fountainhead" by her and I still think it's one of the best things I've ever read.

Anyway, about my reading habits, they vary a lot from day to day and from week to week and even more from book to book. I don't allow myself to read less than about 15 minutes a day because if I do I'll lose track of the book, even though I only read one book at a time. But most days I read at least an hour and two hours is probably more common.

Also whenever I'm someplace and have a few minutes I'll pull out my phone and read. That probably adds up to another hour some days. Sometimes more.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #39
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
I assume that books are also bigger in Texas?
Are you unware? Everything's bigger in Texas.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
My wife agrees with this. She is from Texas and has never forgiven me for dragging her to a small Georgia town.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #41
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Ah, that would explain why all the books there are Large Print books. I had assumed it was due to... best unsaid
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #42
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I spent most of my life in Texas until the last decade. I was 5'8" tall until I got old and I can tell you practically everyONE is bigger than me in Texas.

There's a fun story about a jockey coming to Texas for the first time and he goes into a bar and he can barely see over the top to order a beer. He asks why the bar is so tall and the bartender explains "Son, everything is big in Texas". So the beer comes in a mug which, to him, seems like a keg. He asks why it's so big and the bartender repeats his explanation.

He drinks the beer and then he needs the men's room, badly, quickly, and he asks for directions. The bartender says "Down that hall and it's the third door to the right. Of course after all that beer he turns left and falls into the swimming pool.

Everybody comes running from the bar in response to his shouting to see what's going on and he's doing his best to tread water and shouting "Please don't flush it!"

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #43
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Atlas Shrugged, I shrugged back...neither cares and we went on our ways.

I read before sleep and whenever I find the time. Sometimes at work, while sitting on my back porch, at the park, guess you get the picture...I love to read.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I was surprised too, so I took some advice. There isn't a ban nor is it illegal.

While eating and drinking while driving are discouraged in the UK Highway Code, for example, there is no specific legislation making it an offence by itself. As in other countries if doing these things (or any other distracting thing) and an accident results through that, or one is driving demonstrating a distracted manner during such activities then a charge for that may result.
That's correct, it's not a specific offence. If the police catch you, the offence you'll be charged with is "driving without due care and attention".

If you'd like an example (in this case a woman prosecuted for eating an apple while driving), there's one here. After the court case (the woman opted to go to court rather than accept a fixed-penalty charge) the police said:

Quote:
"Action will be taken against people seen eating, drinking, using mobile phones or doing any other activity where their driving is affected."

Last edited by HarryT; 11-25-2015 at 12:21 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #45
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Ah, that would explain why all the books there are Large Print books. I had assumed it was due to... best unsaid
In Texas, they re-named Edna Ferber's book as Medium.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote