Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
[rant] too many Kindle models!

I used to like to come to this forum and lurk. But now I have a dizzy head when I check it out. Kindle this Kindle that. SO non SO. Touch no touch in two flavours. Available in US only or limited Europe usage. Sheesh, Amazon. At least Fire got a subforum.
It is not to mean MR got it wrong, just I am confused by the multitude of options. Difficult to fish out K3 in all this (if it is discussed much still) in case I need something.
The same why I feel overwhelmed in a shopping centre, don't know where to look left or right

anyway, just venting a little.

/end rant
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I used to like to come to this forum and lurk. But now I have a dizzy head when I check it out. Kindle this Kindle that. SO non SO. Touch no touch in two flavours. Available in US only or limited Europe usage. Sheesh, Amazon. At least Fire got a subforum.
It is not to mean MR got it wrong, just I am confused by the multitude of options. Difficult to fish out K3 in all this (if it is discussed much still) in case I need something.
The same why I feel overwhelmed in a shopping centre, don't know where to look left or right

anyway, just venting a little.

/end rant
I was just thinking the same thing! And you and I joined in here about the same time, just over a year ago, with our K3s. I feel obsolete. Although I still love my K3 dearly, and I'm considering buying a backup K3 while they are still available.

Definitely not a criticism of MR, of course. That's how technology rolls. I just keep clicking on Kindle threads and going, "Oh, that's not one I have..." But on the upside, it's caused me to spend less time in the Kindle forum and more time in other areas of MR!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Eh. The original Kindle line (special offers, keyboard, non-touch, etc) just strikes me as similar to the Apple sub-board. There's a crap-ton of Apple devices (various generations of iPod Touch/iPhone models and iPads) that all do pretty much the same thing with a few changes here or there. The Kindles (non-Fire) all do pretty much the same thing and shouldn't need to have their own sub-boards. I think it'd be somewhat nice to have some additional labels to make the Kindle sub-board a little more friendly to those not familiar with the line. But, it's not too urgent.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Though it would be nice if the OP would state in their title which version they are posting about, most users already do, so I am not having too much trouble keeping track of the model the post is referring to. But personally I would prefer if there were subforums for the various models. Say one for Touch, NonTouch, Fire, and K3. The SO's and non SOs can go with the model it belongs to. But that is just my preference.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

will answer tomorrow, it's 1.30 am here, zzzzz...
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Jack's Liver
Funk Master General
Jack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3 / CRUZ T103 BRICKED / Sony PRS-300 Gifted to a :) kid / N7
I concur
Jack's Liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Eh. The original Kindle line (special offers, keyboard, non-touch, etc) just strikes me as similar to the Apple sub-board. There's a crap-ton of Apple devices (various generations of iPod Touch/iPhone models and iPads) that all do pretty much the same thing with a few changes here or there. The Kindles (non-Fire) all do pretty much the same thing and shouldn't need to have their own sub-boards. I think it'd be somewhat nice to have some additional labels to make the Kindle sub-board a little more friendly to those not familiar with the line. But, it's not too urgent.
New labels would be nice.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Agreed.

We now have 6 different Kindles models. The Kindle Fire has it's own sub forum but prefixes for the other Kindles would be nice at least for the Kindle Touch.

Most of the other info applies to the other models. The K4 is only slightly different from the previous Kindles.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I actually wish they had more models --- an 8" Kindle Touch would be the perfect solution for me. Or at least a DX Touch.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Touch
I second sub-forums for the different Kindle models. I don't understand why the Fire has it's own while the KT is just as different (as far as coding goes) from the other eInk models.
Sassapphras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We now have 6 different Kindles models. The Kindle Fire has it's own sub forum but prefixes for the other Kindles would be nice at least for the Kindle Touch.

Most of the other info applies to the other models. The K4 is only slightly different from the previous Kindles.
Another in agreement for me, sub-forums for all the different ereaders would be totally unnecessary. Not sure why there aren't already pre-fixes set up for the different Kindle models, all the other forums (Bookeen, Kobo, Sony etc) seem to have them, the Kindle forum instead just has them for hacks, troubleshooting etc. Seems strange?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I agree.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I was just thinking the same thing! And you and I joined in here about the same time, just over a year ago, with our K3s. I feel obsolete. Although I still love my K3 dearly, and I'm considering buying a backup K3 while they are still available.

Definitely not a criticism of MR, of course. That's how technology rolls. I just keep clicking on Kindle threads and going, "Oh, that's not one I have..." But on the upside, it's caused me to spend less time in the Kindle forum and more time in other areas of MR!
*high fives*
but why obsolete? no reason to be. It's working well, does what it says on the tin and we shouldn't be talked into upgrading just because. In fact I do think buying a back up of what you like is a good thing. I do have Opus x 2 which I like very much. Black one is not available anymore anywhere. I actually decided in Nov 2010 to buy Opus even though Orizon just came out with all the bells and whistles. And bought second Opus recently around the time Odyssey came out. So I let two newer models pass deliberately. And indeed I do not spend so much time on this forum anymore.

I agree prefixes (labels) would be more useful than multiple subforums.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
*high fives*
but why obsolete? no reason to be. It's working well, does what it says on the tin and we shouldn't be talked into upgrading just because. In fact I do think buying a back up of what you like is a good thing.
I meant that I feel obsolete, not that my K3 is obsolete. My K3 is kickbutt awesome!

And I agree with all the suggestions for post tags.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I meant that I feel obsolete, not that my K3 is obsolete. My K3 is kickbutt awesome!

And I agree with all the suggestions for post tags.
Actually I understood it the way you meant it but I went on babbling and my point got lost