Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
TrudyJ65
TrudyJ65 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Writing/Typing on the Vox

Hi all... longtime (e)reader, first-time poster here.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to ask for a Vox for Christmas to replace my beloved, now-dead Sony PRS505. I don't have a tablet and don't want the full-on iPad or other tablet, mostly because of cost but also because it's not a real need. I actually enjoy the e-ink readers just fine, but some of the added bells and whistles on the Kobo Vox look attractive.

The main thing I'm wondering about is the one feature I'd like in a tablet if I got one is something that might not be do-able on the Vox. I'd like to be able to use it for writing -- not a complete word processor functionality, but something where if I were at a coffee shop or waiting in a doctor's office I could whip it out and type 500 or 1000 words and email it to myself for later use on my home computer.

So, two questions:

1. Is there an app I can get for the Vox that will allow me to write on it?

2. I've heard that you can't hook up an external keyboard because there's no Bluetooth? Is that correct? There's no type of keyboard I could hook up to it any other way, is there? Not sure how much writing I could get done with the little onscreen keyboard (I'm a very fast touch typist, so tiny keyboards throw me off).

BTW I'm the sort of person who uses a lot of technology without understanding it very well, so some of what I read here on the forums is well out of my depth, but I do have more techie friends who can help me puzzle out the mysteries if I do get a Vox.
TrudyJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The processor is slow, and typing more than a few lines is a pain.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
For the time being the UI is sluggish and the touchscreen isn't really responsive enough. Overall, it excels with it's screen.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I like how it responds with the keyboard I use--swiftkey x for tablets. It's a paid app available in various somewhat sketchy places for free. Or purchasable from Android Market, if you can do that on one device and then move it to your Vox. Great predictive text and a neat split key layout in landscape mode. You can use google docs to do long form writing. Save the file and attach it to an email, or download it it your computer.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
The Vox can play HD movies without issue. It's not the processor that's slowing it down with typing, it's other software factors.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
TrudyJ65
TrudyJ65 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks for the answers. I don't know how well Google Docs would work for me to write in because a lot of the time the Vox would be offline when I was using it, and that seems a little complicated (at my level) to set up. Any other suggestions for an app that would allow me to type pages of manuscript I could email to myself later and easily drop into Word on my home computer?

As for the keyboard, I gather from what people are saying there's no hopes of an external keyboard, but there's a better onboard one that could be downloaded?
TrudyJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
http://www.androidwordprocessor.com/ looks to have some reviews.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
There are Office Applications. QuickOffice and OfficeSuite (both at 15$) are two that I know. You can type in them, alright, but you can also just type in a Text Editor (many many free), as you won't do much formatting on the tablet (at least I don't).
Btw, QuickOffice won't install on the Vox.

For typing it might just be best to go to a store and play around with the touchscreen.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Quickoffice Pro is quite nice to deal with, I just installed it.. and there are other keyboard to use. I just installed myself a few to see what I like best. And actually for typing a lot I really seem to like the thumb keyboard.. it splits the keyboard up so everything's fairly easily reached just by thumb including symbols on the same screen as the abc characters.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm sure I used to use QuickOffice on my PalmTX and loved it there.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote