Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
dumbtechie
dumbtechie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 950
Accidental Damage Plan

Ok, so I broke the screen for my sony prs 950... I was very careful around it but sometimes it escapes from my mind that the device is somewhere where I could damage it. And so I damaged it. Now I heard about the accidental damage warranty. I didn't hear about it when I ordered it, however, I learned that you can recieve that plan by calling the number (I do have the number). After I recieve the plan, can I use it immediately to get a new or fix the reader? I doubt I will break it again or at least be more careful around it. Also, for those of you who have already done this, how long does it take to recieve a new one if you ordered for a new one rather than fix it?
dumbtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Kind of optimistic to hope to be able to buy insurance after the damage is already done, but hey...
Usually these kind of protection plans has to be registered within a few weeks after purchase (often 21-30 days)
If you're in that time frame, fine for you.
Don't expect to be able to sign up and then report a damage right away. I can't imagine they will accept that!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I got my protection plan at SquareTrade, but as Asawi said, you have to sign up for it within xx days (I believe it was 30 days at the time). SquareTrade was very reasonable and I got the extra accidental damage coverage for $39.95 with a coupon for 3 years for the 350. From what I've read, SquareTrade had much better service than Sony or Best Buy (where I bought my reader from).

I doubt you'll manage to be able to get the coverage after the broken fact though, unless you go about altering receipts, false claim after waiting several weeks at least, etc (which I'm not condoning at all). You'd have a longer wait to replace your 950 doing that.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
dumbtechie

Well the thing is I ordered my reader maybe... two to three weeks ago. So yes I'm available for the coverage. I don't need to change the reciepts or anything and do not wish to do so. I'm only doing this because when I ordered for the reader, I have never heard of this coverage... only the limited warranty and the extended warranty which I decided wasn't for me. If the sony website had said something about an accidental warranty along with their limited and extended warranty, I would have gone and spent the extra forty five dollars. However, if I order for the coverage soon and wait a month or so maybe, do you think it's ok to use the coverage and replace it? Because I can wait a month or more since I do not wish to spend hundreds of dollars for a new one...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Like you, I didn't know about the accidental coverage at all until I read about it on this forum, and that was after checking Sony's site and Best Buy's. I had to really dig around for info on the accidental coverage, it wasn't really advertised as well. I normally don't get warranties on anything because of it only covering manufacturing defects, but after reading about all the accidents with the screens, and since I take mine literally everywhere with me (increasing the change of sitting on it...), I decided to go for it.

Honestly, I'd say let your conscience be your guide here. While I only paid $120 for my 350, I can fully understand considering the price of the 950.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
This gist of this thread is discouraging.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
And Best Buy required me to bring in my Sony350 when I wanted to get their extended plan. I had bought it the week before but they wanted to make sure it wasn't broke before giving me the warranty. So I don't think you'll be able to get one that easily...
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All I can say is call and find out what it will take to get the service plan and if you do get it, wait like 3 weeks before you use it if you do in fact get it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
more info on the Sony warranty programs for the ereaders

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...rranty_Options

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/lpage....ptions#esp_rdb

Last edited by gardenstate; 05-29-2011 at 10:18 PM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
dumbtechie

Yeah, since I ordered mine online, I don't think I have worry about what Pomtroll posted. Ok, thanks for the advice. I will call and see if I can get the plan :$
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
dumbtechie

Ok so I just called the sony style phone number and she was very nice.. a little heavy in the accent to make it a little difficult for me to understand but very very nice. Anyway, she said there was no such thing as the accidental damage plan but that I can get a repair on my reader for $99. Now that will cancel out my warranty which is the downside of it. So... from your more experienced mind, should I take this offer? Or is there something wrong with what she said?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
Pretty surprising discussion this.

Perhaps I'm missing something here. This really isn't a difficult situation.

dumbtechie, buying an item, breaking it and then buying an insurance plan so that the insurer can bear the responsibility to pay for the repair is both dishonest and fraudulent.

If your argument is that the vendor should have offered it and you would have bought it, then you really should take that up with the vendor, not lay the cost on the insurance company. If you think that the idea that you would have bought so you should be able to buy it now is reasonable - well no it's not. You can't be serious.

Having said that, if you paid for the reader with a credit card, then the card issuer - Visa/Mastercard etc might provide accidental damage cover anyway - you should check with them.

Also, if you have home or renters insurance that may also cover the damage.

Finally, the $99 repair quote from Sony doesn't seem all that unreasonable. A bit better than resorting to a life of crime

Best of luck.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Can we get that in UK ? If so, it's never been in anything I've read.

And that $99 is a steal, I reckon - the UK forum had someone quoted around £180+ for a 650,damn near the cost of a new one.

( probably just didn't want to do it.)

Incidentally, could we have a few comparisons on other repair work, UK,Europe, & the States ?
Could be very interesting............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
My experience is different in that mine was defective rather than damaged. Thebattery on my PRS 650 wouldn't hold a charge as long as it did when it was new. It now is 7 months after purchase (no extended warranty) I called Sony Customer service and they offered a replacement for $30. I explained that I was reluctant to let go of my Reader right now because of a vacation planned for the end of June. She told me no problem--Sony will send you a replacement reader, it should be here in less than a week, and I am to send the old one back in the same box (postage label is included in the box.)

I realize that I may get a refurbished unit, but most of the time I consider those units tested three times (manufacturer, customer, repair shop) and is better than a new one that is tested once.

I am happy with Sony's service. I would have spent more on an extended warranty for the smae result.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Well I'll be ..........

If that happened here, I think there'd be a few ex-Sony owners in the Intensive Care Departments .......

Never heard of anything like that at all.

"Market economics I 'spose........ or just an efficient far-sighted department ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote