Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin View Post
Hi All, while you're waiting for an answer from the creator of Moon+ i use the following method to get books into my Nexus 7 ereader app.
I may be wrong, but I'm relatively sure this thread isn't about getting your books to a reader, but in syncing your current reading position between devices.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #32
Derrin
Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Nexus 7, TF101
Hi DoctorOhh, that's very true but i was replying to Dortamur's post re syncing via dropbox with Moon+ which requires access to your whole dropbox account. i was attempting to explain that using dropsync to sync one DB folder to your device gets around the need to allow Moon+ access to your whole DB account. I'll include a quote next time to avoid confusion.

Cheers
Derrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
internalaudit
internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the epub/pdf scene.

How does syncing via Dropbox compare to using paid Android app Calibre Companion?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JlYW5kcm9pZCJd
internalaudit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post

How does syncing via Dropbox compare to using paid Android app Calibre Companion?

I'm sure someone can explain it but this thread isn't about syncing your books to the reader, see post above.

Personally I have the Dropbox app and Calibre Companion (CC). I use CC to transfer books to my device and manage the books on my device. Well worth the token fee. Here is my Google Play review.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
internalaudit
internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.internalaudit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm sure someone can explain it but this thread isn't about syncing your books to the reader, see post above.

Personally I have the Dropbox app and Calibre Companion (CC). I use CC to transfer books to my device and manage the books on my device. Well worth the token fee. Here is my Google Play review.
Thanks DoctorOhh, my bad. I guess I was going through quite a few threads that I had forgotten this was about syncing pages across devices.

Thanks for the tip and CC recommendation.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #36
Dortamur
Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dortamur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab 7.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post

I don't use Calibre or Calibre Companion, so I'm not sure exactly how using Moon+ and Dropbox compares.

How I use it is:
  • I put my eBook files into Dropbox - this is just how I manage my own files. It means I can get a book on my PC, and put it in my own Books library in Dropbox
  • On my Android device, I go into my Dropbox Books folder, and select a book. This downloads the book file to the Android device, and imports it into Moon+. Moon+ now has a local copy of the file.
  • At this point, reading the book on my device will also write an extra file to my Dropbox, which holds my current read position - so it creates an extra file for bookmarks, etc... It has not synced the eBook itself
  • There's an option buried in Moon+ to enable File Sync. From the Shelf, select Local Files, then Dropbox, then the Gear icon down the bottom-left. That'll let you select the option to Backup book files to Dropbox. This might also be in another menu, since I don't remember it being in that position on my Tablet (I'm checking on my Phone currently).
  • Now reopening the book shows it's syncing the whole book to Dropbox, and it appears in Dropbox (under /Apps/Books). This is just a copy of the same book file - the read position sync is still in a separate file.
  • With the same option on other devices, it downloads the ebook file to them

Once it's set up, it's pretty seamless. Import the book once, and it appears everywhere. Read on one device, and it will sync read position to others.

The sync only happens when you switch to or from the App - there's no background process to periodically sync for you. This is good and bad - it doesn't waste device resources with constant syncing, but it means that:
  • If I stop reading on my WiFi only tablet, and I'm not online, it won't sync (it's not smart enough to queue a background "try later" job, I don't think)
  • When you first open a book on a different device, it usually shows the old position, and then a moment later pops up a dialog box asking if you want to jump to the Sync position.
Frankly, the Moon+ interface is rather confusing, and not quite as polished as other apps. It's an excellent ereader, and has tons of features, but getting to them can be tricky, and the position sync can be a little flakey.
Dortamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #37
internalaudit

^ Thanks Dortamur for taking the time to show me how you sync using Dropbox and some of the caveats.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #38
Spectacles
Spectacles began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S III
Accessing the reading position in Win7

This thread has been quite helpful! I've downloaded the Moon+ reader to my Android phone, and set up a Dropbox account. I've set a bookmark from my phone and watched it appear in a Dropbox folder as mobi.an and mobi.po files.
I've even re-entered the book on my phone and successfully used the bookmark that was stored in the Dropbox folder.

What I haven't been able to do is figure out what ebook reader to install on my Win7 PC to access those same bookmarks. Sometimes I'd like to continue reading at my desktop's big monitor. Any suggestions?
Spectacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #39
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Let me see if I understand this correctly. In order to sync notes Reading position, highlights etc in a book over several devices, all you need is the Dropbox app, you do not need the Dropsync app?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #40
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have a dropbox account and I have moon pro and I snyc my books between my smartphone and my nexus 7. And also I do not have to load the book on both devices I use the options in moon to copy the book up to dropbox so it can be downloaded to the other device. I works great.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #41
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have a dropbox account and I have moon pro and I snyc my books between my smartphone and my nexus 7. And also I do not have to load the book on both devices I use the options in moon to copy the book up to dropbox so it can be downloaded to the other device. I works great.
So how does that work for the first time you need to download the book? How do you know the book is available for download?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #42
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
When you look at dropbox in my files it shows up.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #43
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So how does that work for the first time you need to download the book? How do you know the book is available for download?
His response about syncing book position via dropbox not syncing books via dropbox.

Personally I sync my books to calibre using the Calibre companion app and the smart eject plugin.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #44
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
His response about syncing book position via dropbox not syncing books via dropbox.

Personally I sync my books to calibre using the Calibre companion app and the smart eject plugin.
I thought his response was about syncing books -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
... And also I do not have to load the book on both devices I use the options in moon to copy the book up to dropbox so it can be downloaded to the other device. I works great.
The only time I would want the book on my phone would be if I had an appointment and didn't have my tablet. I have Calibre set up to ignore my phone and normally have very few books on it. I tried to use CC to copy a book to my phone using the content server but you can't choose the file name so Moon+ won't sync because the names don't match.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moon reader, moon+ reader, sync