Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #616
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
The converted file size depends on several factors:

1. The source file size and content.

2. The conversion type used (native or bitmap)--since you are using 1.51, must be bitmap.

3. The resolution chosen for the output file.

It is certainly within the realm of normal that a converted file could be 40 MB. I would expect that it would be many pages, though--more than 100? Like I said, it depends on many things.
The source file size was 1.51 mb (I was using the latest version)
The resolution was 758x1024, which is the Paperwhite 2 resolution

Last edited by Belenos; 10-25-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #617
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
The source file size was 1.51 mb (I was using the latest version)
The resolution was 758x1024, which is the Paperwhite 2 resolution
How many pages is the source file? What is the page size?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #618
agelos100
Enthusiast
agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle
Hello Willus,

Is there any way to define a page break of the output file at a specific page of the source one?

That would be very helpful where a chapter begins.

Friendly regards,
Angelos
agelos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #619
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelos100 View Post
Hello Willus,

Is there any way to define a page break of the output file at a specific page of the source one?

That would be very helpful where a chapter begins.

Friendly regards,
Angelos
Not with the current version. I will consider adding such a feature in a future release. Using the current version, you could convert one chapter at a time and then join them all together with something like jpdftweak.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #620
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
How many pages is the source file? What is the page size?
651 pages, 7,02 x 11,75 cm (roughly 2.76 x 4.62 inches)
thanks.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #621
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
thanks.
Okay. 40 MB sounds quite reasonable for a 651-page source document. That works out to about 63 KB per source page bitmap.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #622
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
thanks.
If pdf page size is A5 (148 x 216 mm) or smaller i usually use native mode in landscape.

Since your pdf page is even smaller than 6" screen (9 x 12 cm), native mode is the way to go.

The file size will be about the same as original, it will take less time to convert, OCR layer will be saved.

Last edited by markom; 10-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #623
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
If pdf page size is A5 (148 x 216 mm) or smaller i usually use native mode in landscape.

Since your pdf page is even smaller than 6" screen (9 x 12 cm), native mode is the way to go.

The file size will be about the same as original, it will take less time to convert, OCR layer will be saved.
Good suggestions. Note that as of v2.x, the OCR layer is now saved by default even in bitmap mode (if it exists). The main reason for using bitmap mode in this case might be if the contrast or gamma correction offered in bitmap mode improve the readability.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #624
Belenos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post

I've tried it, but my Paperwhite can't handle it (which is odd, since it's only 4mb).

k2pdfopt keep crashing if I use the OCR option, I've even formatted but I still can't get it to work.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #625
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I've tried it, but my Paperwhite can't handle it (which is odd, since it's only 4mb).

k2pdfopt keep crashing if I use the OCR option, I've even formatted but I still can't get it to work.
Did you try converting only a few pages? What OS / version of k2pdfopt are you using when k2pdfopt crashes on the OCR? If it's not 2.03, have you tried 2.03? That version should keep the OCR layer by default without having to use actual (CPU-expensive) OCR. If you can post your source file, or send it to me in a private message, I'll investigate some of this behavior for you.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #626
Belenos
Connoisseur

Win7 64bit, with the latest k2pdfopt. I'm gonna send the source file, thanks for checking it.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #627
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Win7 64bit, with the latest k2pdfopt. I'm gonna send the source file, thanks for checking it.
I got the source document. Thank you. Did you try "fitwidth" mode? Load the file with the GUI, then select "Kindle Paperwhite" for your device and "fitwidth" for the Conversion Mode (upper right corner of GUI window). Then try previewing a couple of pages. If you want to rotate the document 90 degrees, uncheck the "Rotate output to landscape" box. This will do a native conversion and it should work okay on your KPW and retain the text layer for highlighting and searching. You might see my help page on native output.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #628
Belenos
Connoisseur

fitwidth solved all my problems, thanks again.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #629
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Site down (again)

Sorry my site is down again. The backup site is http://willus.org/k2pdfopt/.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #630
kayahon77
kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.kayahon77 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I cannot download

Hello, I am sorry for my poor English (I am a Japanese..),
but I am wondering if someone help me.
I downloaded K2pdfopt software last september
and I was very happy it worked so well.

But as I tried convert a pdf file for a kindle paperwhite yesterday,
the converted file was rejected by pdf viewer, saying "the file is broken."

I thought the program was failed somehow, so deleted it
and tried download new one from Mr. willus's site again.
But this time, it could not be downloaded.
I tried another version, but it couldn't either.

I have been using windows7, I mean I have not changed OS or computer.
Thanks for reading.
kayahon77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools