Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
sune
sune began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 600
Help with getting rid of PDF margins

Hi,

I've have removed the margins of several PDF's sucessfully, using both so-pdf and acrobat pro.

The problem I'm having is that when I view the PDF on my Sony, the margins have not gone... Very frustrating!

Please

Last edited by sune; 04-22-2010 at 04:50 AM.
sune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Why don't you just zoom in on the page? On regular pdfs, the zoom increases overall size of the page, moving margins outside your view. I have to admit though, you'll have to zoom in again once you turn to the next page.

I tried removing margins while I used my 505 and had the same problem. But maybe look at pdf-cropper. I don't know though if this one handles "real" pdfs or only "image" page pdfs.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
sune
sune began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Why don't you just zoom in on the page? On regular pdfs, the zoom increases overall size of the page, moving margins outside your view..
Hi Mike, Thanks for your input!

I found that getting rid of a bit of top and bottom, seems to help the "zoom level". The problem I have with the zoom function is that the zoom manipulators now take up the space instead of the margins
sune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I'm still playing around with setting on my PDF Editor and cannot get the left and right margins to crop. Top and bottom crop without a problem. I am using Foxit PDF Editor.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Ok, another thing I did sometimes. But actually, I rather have some margins then to tinker a couple of times on the pc with a file as the outcome is probably not as you wanted it to be. But after some tries, you may get what you want and can just keep the settings as a template.

If you have a real text pdf (meaning you can mark up the text), you can just highlight all text (select all), copy to the clipboard and insert in a wordprocessing program. There you can set the margins and font style and size. After that, you can either save as rtf, convert to epub or so, or just a pdf printer driver (freepdf or similar) to print out the file as a newly formatted pdf.

Like I said, I sometimes did that. I prefer fonts sans serif and most books have serif fonts. It works out, but it takes time to get to the proper settings.
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
patpat
patpat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I’m using a 600
I crop margins in a regular basis for every single pdf I read on my sony…
I’m always reading landscape w/o magnification w/o reflow every page is divided in an upper and in a lower part.

It’s a pain… I’m doing it with Acrobat but you should know that for some mysterious reason Sony reader will add always a right and left margin even if the original file has absolutely none…

Sony we need firmware upgrades here….
patpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
ilian
ilian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600BC
I use acrobat's crop margins fieature. it seems to work well.
ilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
HectorHugo
HectorHugo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I too have found that using a variety of software packages, as well as altering the mediabox part of the pdf file by hand, the Sony Reader Library seems to always add on the left and right white margins!!! Arghhhh! This is so irritating!! Has anyone any ideas around this problem?!!
HectorHugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Mike_73
Guru

I still do love my 600, but since I bought my ipad a week ago, I haven't used the 600 for technical pdfs anymore. So zooming (besides reflow for novels) is not necessary anymore. I now use the 600 for novels only but must admit that the 300 or my old 505 would do that trick too.
I've bought goodreader for ipad and it's awesome to just set the margins in a pdf on the fly. I'd love to see something like this for the 600, too, as I think I'll use it mostly on the road now. And the ipad just isn't that great for toting around compared to the nice small form factor of the 600
Old 07-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
HectorHugo

Yeah that sounds like the sort of software that would be a great for the Sony - or just a firmware update that allows the custom zoom feature to be locked over consecutive pages; that's all that is required to make it ideal for 95% of folk wanting to use this ereader for pdfs. Why didn't they think of this?!?!?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I use BRISS. Search the forums, you will find links to download it. It's a great tool to quickly and easily remove margins - it works better than the zoom feature, much better, especially if you need to take annotations.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
HectorHugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I use BRISS. Search the forums, you will find links to download it. It's a great tool to quickly and easily remove margins - it works better than the zoom feature, much better, especially if you need to take annotations.
Do you use it with the Sony PRS600? I have used this before but the white margins get re-introduced once BRISS has removed them.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorHugo View Post
Do you use it with the Sony PRS600? I have used this before but the white margins get re-introduced once BRISS has removed them.
Sorry no. I used them with the PRS900. I assumed it worked the same way.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
HectorHugo

Do you still use the Sony "Reader Library" software with the PRS900? I've noted that the whitespace addition to the cropped margins is only present when the zoom level is on "S".

Playing around with BRISS it does seem to do the job albeit a little bit fiddly...ideally there should be a virtual printer driver for pdf files to format them for ebooks; are there any?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorHugo View Post
ideally there should be a virtual printer driver for pdf files to format them for ebooks; are there any?
AFAIK there's no one click option, but Sony does provide instructions on ideal pdf formatting for the reader:

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So..._createPDF.pdf
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote