Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #826
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
NookStudy sometimes downloads ebooks as PDFs even if they are downloaded as epubs on other devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I got that batch of free cookbooks too. Several of them were labeled PagePerfect Nookbooks which in the past has meant pdf only.
Can you avoid PDFs by avoiding books labeled "PagePerfect Nookbooks" or do PDFs sometimes appear without warning? Thx.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #827
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Ah, I didn't even think of trying the plain Nook for PC app. That's good to know. But at least I finally managed to use Tampermonkey and the script so it was a learning experience.
Yes, it's good to know different ways of doing things. I had trouble a while back with both Nook for PC and the Tampermonkey script. Neither seemed to be able to connect with BN. I thought, "Uh-oh, they're cutting us off completely." But then I was able to get through with Nookstudy. These days I just pick up freebies from them for the sole purpose of seeing if I can still unlock them.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #828
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Can you avoid PDFs by avoiding books labeled "PagePerfect Nookbooks" or do PDFs sometimes appear without warning? Thx.
I haven't had one turn up that wasn't labeled PagePerfect. You can check on a book's page by clicking the question mark next to "Available on NOOK devices and apps". If it lists NOOK eReaders and NOOK for PC/Mac, then it should be an epub. Of course, the best way to avoid them is to avoid B&N. :P
Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #829
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
... Of course, the best way to avoid [PDFs] is to avoid B&N. :P
Thanks! I didn't realize you could end up with a PDF if you buy from B&N. Hmmm ...
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #830
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Thanks! I didn't realize you could end up with a PDF if you buy from B&N. Hmmm ...
Most of the big bookstores have a format that's intended for use in cases where a book can't sensibly be converted into a reflowable format. Amazon call it "Print Replica", for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #831
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Has anyone noticed that they seem to be IP checking again at B&N? I had successfully purchased and downloaded content using the tampermonkey script previously from Australia with a US address in my account but when I tried today it wouldn't let me purchase they only thing I can think of is that they've gone back to IP checking
So to answer my own question B&N are indeed back to IP checking firing up Hola fixed that and I was able to purchase the book also having the script installed meant that the alternate download button was present YAY but then I ran into a major roadblock my usual cleaning method is not working.

The book downloads as a file that windows identifies as epub I have not changed my payment methods so key to the cleaning cupboard should be intact but vacuming is not working anyone got any clues for me on how to proceed
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #832
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
So to answer my own question B&N are indeed back to IP checking firing up Hola fixed that and I was able to purchase the book also having the script installed meant that the alternate download button was present YAY but then I ran into a major roadblock my usual cleaning method is not working.

The book downloads as a file that windows identifies as epub I have not changed my payment methods so key to the cleaning cupboard should be intact but vacuming is not working anyone got any clues for me on how to proceed
B&N changed the key. If you install Nook Study, you can retrieve the key and insert it into Calibre.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #833
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
It seems that B&N has finally gotten around to proactively switching accounts to the new non-credit-card-based keys (or as I like to call it: anti-social DRM). If you have the latest version of Alf's plug-in, the workaround is explained in the help file for the B&N area of the customization dialog.

You will need Nookstudy which can be downloaded from here:
https://yuzu.com/nsdownload
Old 02-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #834
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
It seems that B&N has finally gotten around to proactively switching accounts to the new non-credit-card-based keys (or as I like to call it: anti-social DRM). If you have the latest version of Alf's plug-in, the workaround is explained in the help file for the B&N area of the customization dialog.

And then you have to get NOOKStudy to not freeze. It's unusable on my Windows 7, 64-bit machine.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #835
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
I should have read this thread b4 logging into my B&N account and buying an ebook for my wife. Only then did I discover No Download Button.

Good bye Barnes & Noble.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 AM   #836
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
B&N changed the key. If you install Nook Study, you can retrieve the key and insert it into Calibre.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
And then you have to get NOOKStudy to not freeze. It's unusable on my Windows 7, 64-bit machine.
Thanks all, turns out I was infected with the new DRM but I've successfully vaccumed it away thanks to alfs blog and you all
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:36 AM   #837
bean
Enthusiast
bean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Let's get back to the important question: where are we to buy eBooks these days? Easy deDRM is a must... ie if the store uses Adobe, forget about it.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #838
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Let's get back to the important question: where are we to buy eBooks these days? Easy deDRM is a must... ie if the store uses Adobe, forget about it.
Google Books uses Adobe and the drm hasn't changed. It's only B&N because they didn't have standard Adobe to start with.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #839
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I should have read this thread b4 logging into my B&N account and buying an ebook for my wife. Only then did I discover No Download Button.

Good bye Barnes & Noble.
If you don't want to install NOOK for PC, this Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script works with Firefox and Chrome. I just downloaded one of my B&N books to verify that it still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
As far as I'm concerned, all of the regular DRM methods are still easy. I know this has been rehashed quite a bit, but I've listed the problems that I see with each method.

Adobe:
  • Requires Digital Editions (can be run on pretty much any OS)
  • There's a new DRM scheme pending (doesn't affect current books and I expect we'll know as soon as this rolls out)

Barnes & Noble:
  • The download button's gone (easy workaround)
  • New DRM keys are being rolled out (working fix)
  • Some books are NOOK only (if you have a rooted NOOK, they can be downloaded and de-DRMed)
  • PDFs can't be decrypted (no fix; don't buy PDFs)

Amazon
  • You need a Kindle to get a web download link (everybody has a Kindle, apparently)
  • Every device has its own key (not normally a problem, but can be annoying)
  • Some books are Topaz and must be converted after DRM removal (fewer Topaz books than there used to be)
  • Some books are tablet only (can be worked around if you have an Android tablet and are willing to hack the APK)

Kobo
  • Some books are kepub-only (fewer than before and Obok works)
  • Their catalog is a mess and dealing with CS is potluck (not really a DRM issue, but come on, guys)
  • Some books are tablet-only (Obok doesn't work on tablet books)

My point is that there are really no serious impediments to buying ebooks from any of the major stores and it's still just personal preference about which things make you mad. Even with the most recent changes, I still think that Barnes & Noble is the easiest experience overall.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #840
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Yes, it's horrible. But thankfully you don't actually have to use it. Just sign in, get your key, then never look at it again.