Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Initializing User Interface

Since I updated Calibre to V0.8.46, Initializing the User Interface seems to take a great deal longer. I can live with it but am curious if this is caused by the greater number of books I now have in Calibre, or something else?. I find Calibre to be a great program so don't think I am knocking it.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That will happen only the first time you run calibre after the upgrade or after a reboot. Quit calibre and restart it, and it will take the same amount of time as before.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That will happen only the first time you run calibre after the upgrade or after a reboot. Quit calibre and restart it, and it will take the same amount of time as before.
Do I understand you correctly. Does that mean that when I first switch on my PC and run Calibre it will take some time to Initialize, then on subsequent loading of Calibre it will continue to be almost instantaneous?. I was sure prior to this latest upgrade that Initialization was fast even with the first load?. Perhaps I am mistaken. I hope you can follow that.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved thread. Please read the "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - The purpose of this subforum" sticky post at the top of the Development forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Do I understand you correctly. Does that mean that when I first switch on my PC and run Calibre it will take some time to Initialize, then on subsequent loading of Calibre it will continue to be almost instantaneous?. I was sure prior to this latest upgrade that Initialization was fast even with the first load?. Perhaps I am mistaken. I hope you can follow that.
Some Calibre upgrades fire off tasks that upgrade the DB structure, this takes time to complete.
Some of those upgrades add new User Metadata fields, those changes need to propagate to the (backup) OPF file kept with each title., maybe construct new (internal) Index files.
Killing the startup process that has been "Hanging" for a minute, just makes it happen again and Ultimatly will run the risk of damage to the Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks for that explanation which has satisfied my curiosity. Cheers.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Pherg
Pherg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm having the same problem, but after up to 9 hours initializing it still won't start. I've tried it a number of times. If I re-install Calibre, will I lose everything including any metadata I have? Can I make a backup copy of this?
Pherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherg View Post
I'm having the same problem, but after up to 9 hours initializing it still won't start. I've tried it a number of times. If I re-install Calibre, will I lose everything including any metadata I have? Can I make a backup copy of this?
The Library is always left intact. The only way to really delete the library, is to use the File system and put it in the trash
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote