Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
eReader for PDB eBooks???

Does anyone know what eReaders are out there which will support reading PDB books from Fictionwise that is not a handheld / phone device like the iPhone but more like a proper e-ink reader like the Kindle or Sony or some other device?

Please help.
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Nook can read eReader PDB ebooks, see eReader content on the Nook. The Jetbook Lite (reflective LCD screen) also supports it. Last time I heard, the original Jetbook did not support eReader PDB.

Alternatively, it is possible to strip the DRM (encryption) from the ebooks and, once DRM-free, they can be converted to MOBI (for Kindle) or ePub (for most other EInk devices) using Calibre. Apprentice Alf's Blog provides a good summary of the state of play in the DRM arena.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
langshipley
Connoisseur

Thanks so much. I will check them both out. The nook and the blog.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yes the nook PDB come out very nice on my nook from Fictionwise.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
langshipley
Connoisseur

That's really good to know, thanks so much. I will get myself a nook.
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Personally I'd use the ereader2html utility to convert the books. EReader format limits the choice of devices you have available.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
langshipley
Connoisseur

It would take me forever to convert all the books since I have so many of them. I've been reading eBooks since 2001. I've got close to 1000+ books. I will bear that in mind though, 'cos I've been thinking about it.

Last edited by langshipley; 11-01-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added more content
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by langshipley View Post
It would take me forever to convert all the books since I have so many of them. I've been reading eBooks since 2001. I've got close to 1000+ books. I will bear that in mind though, 'cos I've been thinking about it.
I don't know the insides of the decryption (and therefore I can't say how much time it takes), but once that is done, converting non-DRM'd books to other formats takes just some minutes with the famed Calibre program, or the macro pointed to you by doreenjoy.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Aren't PDB's just PRC's with a different extension? I believe .mobi files are just PRC's with a different extension and Kindle IS .mobi and .prc compatible.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I don't know the insides of the decryption (and therefore I can't say how much time it takes), but once that is done, converting non-DRM'd books to other formats takes just some minutes with the famed Calibre program, or the macro pointed to you by doreenjoy.
Just a nitpick... ereader2html is a python script, not a macro.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
Aren't PDB's just PRC's with a different extension? I believe .mobi files are just PRC's with a different extension and Kindle IS .mobi and .prc compatible.
No...most PDB files are eReader files which is a different format that was popular on palm devices for a while. Actually I believe PDB stands for "PalmDataBase" file and can be pretty much any type of file that could be installed on a Palm. But, when most people refer to PDB files as it relates to eBooks, they mean the files that work with the eReader program.

And as stated earlier, the nook will read these files--even supports the encryption. I'm pretty sure that the nook is actually the only e-ink device that will read these files without stripping the DRM and converting.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #12
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
-edited - moved question to Nook forum

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 11-03-2010 at 02:35 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
The JBL reads DRMed PDB files.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, fictionwise, kindle, pdb, sony