Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Excessive profanity in books

I hate it. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but when I read a book that is riddled with profanity I can't help but think that the author isn't very skilled at putting a good story together, so s/he is relying on shock value to carry the storyline. I wish there were book ratings (G, PG, PG-13, R, X).

Last edited by JLeighs; 10-23-2010 at 09:37 PM.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I too dislike it. I read Star Island by Carl Hiassen two months ago, and it was full of it - not just the quotes but the narration as well.

It's one reason I prefer stories that are fifty years old.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I wouldn't want to see book ratings (too subjective) but I agree; too much use of profanity usually indicates a lack of language skills. I hear enough of it in everyday life, I don't need to be reading it.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I've encountered stories that I found nutsoid, without the 4 letter words.

But I take things in context. I remember in the 1950s, on American television, you couldn't say a woman was pregnant, even if she was obviously so. You had to say 'she was with child'. A strange way to put things.

Anyway, I don't think I've purchased books that had obsceneties in them, I doubt if I will.

I typically scan random parapgraphs in a book to decide if I want to buy it, if I find 4-letter words, I put it back.

And note folks that I spent 6 years in the US Navy, and I can turn the air blue with words. But I'm not interested in reading it in a book.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
And note folks that I spent 6 years in the US Navy, and I can turn the air blue with words. But I'm not interested in reading it in a book.
I know how you feel. I worked 32 years in a redneck environment (power line costruction, power generation, etc; I was in warehousing). Bad as that was, it was nothing compared to the customers in the convenience store I worked in 5 1/2 years. It was a rough neighborhood. Just because I've heard it all (and could write a book on it) doesn't mean I want hear or read it.
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been sticking to mostly older ebooks, but I'd like to buy some more recent ones as well. The problem is that unless I've read some of the author's work before, I don't know what I'm in for. I'm going to be rather upset if I find out I've just paid 8 bucks to read 300 pages worth of the F-bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
I typically scan random parapgraphs in a book to decide if I want to buy it, if I find 4-letter words, I put it back.
That is *exactly* what I do with books as well, although I can't really do that with ebooks before I purchase them.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm with Joebill. 10 years in the U.S. Navy makes a lot of profanity lose it's impact.

Still, I'm not really bothered by it, unless it's inappropriate in the situation.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are we talking about individual character profanity, here, or narrative profanity? Because I don't think twice about a character who uses profanity constantly, if that is part of their character.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Are we talking about individual character profanity, here, or narrative profanity? Because I don't think twice about a character who uses profanity constantly, if that is part of their character.
While I'll make some allowances for character profanity, there is a limit to how much I'll tolerate depending on how necessary it is to the story line (and, even then, there is a limit). I frequently read to escape life, not re-live it.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I must read the wrong books as I rarely encounter profanity. Or else I'm just inured to it?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
JLeighs
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
For me, constant character profanity is a huge irritation. It gets to a certain point and then I put the book away permanently. I can hear it (and do) all day every day and I really don't want to have to read it all the time. Here and there is one thing.

My favorite genre is crime/mystery. Too often there is a hard-boiled detective character who can't seem to solve the crime unless he swears his way through it. It's annoying. Martha Grimes does it well with her Richard Jury series (haven't read her latest, so maybe that has changed). There was the occasional profanity but nothing even remotely excessive. And he even managed to solve the crimes!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
frisp
frisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Or else I'm just inured to it?
Thinking that be my own problem too. I don't really cotton on to the swearing, maybe just from my own background (ex-RAF).
frisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Hmm, I find this thread interesting. I wouldn't have imagined that so many people felt so strongly about the use of profanity in fiction. I rarely use profanity in real life, usually saving it for moments when I'm very angry and alone, for example, if a computer glitch caused me to lose a huge chunk of work, I might indulge in a four-letter tirade directed at my flat-screen monitor.

However, in fiction, I don't bat an eye when characters express themselves (dialogue or monologue) with personality-appropriate verbiage, no matter how offensive. If they're twenty year-old gang-bangers, I would expect foul language, and would it find it unrealistic for them to speak any other way. But even if they're, say, 40-something moms, the occasional string of cuss words would neither surprise nor fluster me. It's all about whether the words are appropriate for the characater.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
When I'm mad at myself I use a lot of bad words. But almost never against others.

I don't think that I read much profanity in the books that I like, but as others have said it just may be that the books that I like don't use it much.

In one post I said in jest;
We don't need your kind around here! You can just go to heck!

To which Stitchawl replied;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Is 'heck' where people go who don't believe in Gosh?

Stitchawl
Oh well. I was born in a different world.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #15
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I'm with you on this one, Maria. I'm currently reading James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet, which deals with policemen in 1940's and 1950's Los Angeles. If those characters didn't swear and use colorful language, they wouldn't be very believable as mid-20th century policemen.

I think you have to try out a new author and, if you find his/her language too much, you simply chalk that one up to experience and move on to someone new.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote