Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #31
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
In compiling this list I discovered that the only ones I am certain about are no longer writing (it's easy to be certain in a closed field).

Douglas Adams
James Herriott
Stieg Larsson

A few were once "must reads" but have petered out over the years due to various factors - I've changed, they haven't changed, they have changed for the worse etc.

Anne McCaffrey
Pat Conroy
Janet Evanovich
William Gibson
Stephen King (haven't entirely given up but I pick and choose now)
Jen Lancaster

Happily a few are still going strong:

Audrey Niffeneger
Bill Bryson
Douglas Coupland

And I have my eye on a few newcomers to my experience:

Mil Millington
Joe Hill

I'm sure there are more, but that is what leaps to mind.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #32
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I've tried to restrict myself to authors who are still alive and active - hope I've succeeded!

Iain Banks / Iain M Banks (literary and science fiction respectively)
Neal Stephenson
William Gibson
John Le Carre
Frederick Forsyth
Robert Rankin
Jasper Fforde
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #33
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
For me it is
Steve Martini
Tom Clancy
John Eldredge
Mark Twain
H.G. Wells
Jules Verne
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #34
StarryUK
StarryUK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I've been lurking for a little while, but this topic has tempted me out of hiding

My must-reads are
Sarah Waters
Jasper Fforde
Linda Gillard
Sue Grafton
J K Rowling

And a couple of authors that I haven't read everything by yet, but want to:
Ian McEwan
Barbara Kingsolver
StarryUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #35
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Science:
Matt Ridley (Honestly, one of the best science writers of our time--if you have any interest in genetics or evolutionary biology, do yourself a favor)
John Gribbin

Science Fiction:
Peter David
Timothy Zahn
Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens

Humor:
Bill Watterson
Douglas Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Banana Yoshimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Banana Yoshimoto
I've only read three of her books, but she's definitely an interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessie6 View Post
David Weber and his Honor Harrington series. His other books are good but these are the best.
I'm about half-way through the first Honor book. I was looking to start with a new author, trying to figure out which of Weber's series to try, and realized all 3 of the ones I was looking had their opening book on the baen free library.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #36
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
For me that changes over time. These days I look forward to anything written by John Hart, and I recently discovered Diane Chamberlain (with The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes) and intend to read more from her this year.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #37
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Terry Pratchett, Ian Rankin, Dorothy L Sayers, Christopher Moore, Robert Crais
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #38
bigtymer
bigtymer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I can't say these are must reads in that I have to read them immediately after they release something but I tend to get around to all these authors' works:
Dave Eggers
David Sedaris
Tom Perrotta
Kurt Vonnegut
Nick Hornby
bigtymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #39
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
I would have said Pynchon, but I found his latest to be disappointing.

Sparrow mentions McEwan. My impressions of him are mixed. I listened to the audio version of Amsterdam, which was an unsual experience. I liked it early on, as I found the characters and situations interesting. About half way or so through, I started to think "O no, I hope this isn't going where I think it is." Unfortunately, it was. It had the gimmicky ending I saw coming a mile away.

I haven't read, or listened to, anything else by McEwan. I saw the film Atonement and loved it. So I'm willing to give him a second chance.

Sparrow also mentions Trevor. I've read very little of his work but based on that little he strikes me as being a master craftsman.

Ea mentions A.S. Byatt. I regret to say I have read only Possession which is superb. Thanks to Ea for reminding me I need to read the rest of her work.

To kennyc, and several others: What's with all these dead guys? That hardly seems responsive. Are you trying to hijack this thread?
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #40
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hmm, tough one...guess my short list from memory will have to do.

1. Tad Williams (Otherland series amongst his other fantasy works)
2. L. E. Modesitt Jr. (loved his The Ethos Effect)
3. David Weber (Honor Harrington series)
4. David Drake
5. Christopher P. Lydon

Other more well-known ones have already been mentioned like: Alastair Reynolds, Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, etc.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #41
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
1. Neal Stephenson
2. Peter Hamilton
3. Alastair Reynolds

and many many more ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #42
kenm
Enthusiast
kenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, Nook Color, Acer Iconia Tab A500
Wow, I got quite a response on this topic. There are quite a few authors suggested here that after a little research I am going to try reading. The only problem is, sadly, too many books not enough time.
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #43
schroedercl2
Enthusiast
schroedercl2 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
There are just a few authors out there that when I see they have something new I have to have it, even if it is only in hardback. They are:
Neil Gaiman
Terry Pratchett
Harlan Ellison
Charlie Huston
Neil Gaiman...is he the one who wrote American Gods? Weird book. Good...but weird.
schroedercl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #44
schroedercl2
Enthusiast
schroedercl2 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Douglas Coupland
Margaret Atwood
Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb
Connie Willis
Charlaine Harris
Stephen King
J.M. Coetzee
Neil Gaiman
John Irving
Cory Doctorow

I will at least investigate books by these authors and usually will buy them.
Seconded on Margaret Atwood and Stephen King
schroedercl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #45
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
1. Neal Stephenson
2. Peter Hamilton
3. Alastair Reynolds
4. Kage Baker, how could I forget her!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote