Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Finding Out the Registered Email Address

Hi,

A bit of a strange question but here goes. I have a friend whose wife has a Kindle Keyboard and has had it for some time and bought quite a few books for it. The other day my friend asked me if it was possible to view the books on a tablet and I said yes using the Kindle App registered to the same account. He'd already done this and there were no books listed which is why he was asking the question.

So he logged into Amazon using his wife's email address and checked MYK page and there were no books listed there. He then logged in using his own account and there were a couple of free books he'd got a while back but none of his wife's purchases. So we concluded that the Kindle must have been registered under a different account but neither of them know what it would be.

So, is there any way one can determine from the Kindle itself what the email address used to register it is? Under settings on mine I can see my name but it doesn't display the email address. Perhaps there's a file somewhere with it in?

Thanks
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Have him checked all email addresses owned for book receipts. Amazon sends one out each time you purchase a book.

The subject like starts with Your Amazon.com Order (D01-xxx-xxx-xxx)
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The Send-to-Kindle address in Settings might give them a clue. Unless they changed it when it was assigned, the first part of the address usually matches the registration email of the Kindle.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Authorized email address

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Hi,

A bit of a strange question but here goes. I have a friend whose wife has a Kindle Keyboard and has had it for some time and bought quite a few books for it. The other day my friend asked me if it was possible to view the books on a tablet and I said yes using the Kindle App registered to the same account. He'd already done this and there were no books listed which is why he was asking the question.

So he logged into Amazon using his wife's email address and checked MYK page and there were no books listed there. He then logged in using his own account and there were a couple of free books he'd got a while back but none of his wife's purchases. So we concluded that the Kindle must have been registered under a different account but neither of them know what it would be.

So, is there any way one can determine from the Kindle itself what the email address used to register it is? Under settings on mine I can see my name but it doesn't display the email address. Perhaps there's a file somewhere with it in?

Thanks
One must go to Your Account \ Change Account Settings to see what email address is being used. ONLY the owner of the account can go there.

If you don't own the account, you have no right and no way to find out which email address is curently being used.

Owners can change their email addresses from the one's used to originally buy eBooks and Kindles.

Your friend's wife may be using her Kindle on her father's account and then only he will know the details - not your friend's wife. The father may have blocked eBook purchases using the Kindle and he may buy them at the Amazon site and send them to the Kindle.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-27-2012 at 02:25 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Try this:

1. On the Kindle Keyoard, go to the Home page.

2. Click Menu, then go to Settings.

3. Under Registration, you will see the name of the user to which the device is registered. Just the name, not the email address.

That might not be what you want, but at least that will give you a clue.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only applies to KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Try this:

1. On the Kindle Keyoard, go to the Home page.

2. Click Menu, then go to Settings.

3. Under Registration, you will see the name of the user to which the device is registered. Just the name, not the email address.

That might not be what you want, but at least that will give you a clue.

Mike
That is true for the Kindle Keyboard but NOT for the PW or KFHD. On the PW one can go from the Home Screen to Menu \ Settings \ Device Options \ Personalize your Kindle and see the Send-to-Kindle Email address which MAY use the first part of the owners email address followed by a_##@kindle.com.

On the Kindle Fire HD one can go from the Home Screen to down swipe top \ More \ My Account and see the owner's ID AND Send-to-Email address.

Those Send-to-Email addresses can be CHANGED by the owner if he wants and may not reflect the owner's email address.

Again, the ID may NOT be the owner's name either.

Those folks giving Kindles as gifts which will remain on their accounts would be advised to CHANGE the ID's and Send-to-Email addresses AND block purchases from the Kindles for just such a situation as this.

For all we know the wife's Kindle may have even been a gift from a co-worker or other friend with legal ownership being retained by the donor. It may also be true that the interested party has reasons other than eBooks read to find out the name of the donor.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-27-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
That is true for the Kindle Keyboard but NOT for the PW or KFHD. On the PW one can go from the Home Screen to Menu \ Settings \ Device Options \ Personalize your Kindle and see the Send-to-Kindle Email address which MAY use the first part of the owners email address followed by a_##@kindle.com.
I just looked at my PW. If you go to Home/Settings, under Registered the Registered User is listed. It matches my Amazon user name.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard

Missed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I just looked at my PW. If you go to Home/Settings, under Registered the Registered User is listed. It matches my Amazon user name.
You are correct. Mine is shaded since I have Parental Controls turned on but I can make out my User ID.

Thus, if one gives away a PW, one should change that USER ID so it does not match your real name.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies.

I can tell you that no-one bought the Kindle for her, it was her own purchase off her own Amazon account.

But anyway the mystery has now being solved - sort of. It turns out if she logs in with a different password she sees her books. Also her account details show a slightly different registered user name. It looks like she has somehow managed to open two accounts with the same email address. I speculated that it might be due to having opened one with amazon.com and one with amazon.co.uk. It won't let you do that now with the same email address but I thought that maybe in the past you could. Anyway I've advised them to speak to Amazon support and get them to either merge the accounts or delete the empty one.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I speculated that it might be due to having opened one with amazon.com and one with amazon.co.uk. It won't let you do that now with the same email address but I thought that maybe in the past you could.
It's certainly possible to use the same email address for both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. I know, because I have done exactly that. Why would it be otherwise?

Mike
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:

It looks like she has somehow managed to open two accounts with the same email address.
Many of my coupled friends share an email address, so it's not surprising that Amazon would allow this. (What I find surprising is that any adult with an active life on the internet would want to share an email address with someone else!)
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It's certainly possible to use the same email address for both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. I know, because I have done exactly that. Why would it be otherwise?
Of course it's possible, but IIRC at one point you had to actually register separately on each site (which is where the OP is suggesting the differences may have come from) where as now your login is good for any Amazon site.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
latepaul
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
Many of my coupled friends share an email address, so it's not surprising that Amazon would allow this. (What I find surprising is that any adult with an active life on the internet would want to share an email address with someone else!)
The email address is not shared as such. It's her address and it happens to have two accounts on it (both hers). The husband has his own account/email. However he recently bought a tablet and was trying out various apps etc and she shared her password so that he could try out the Kindle app, only to find there were no books there... which is where we came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Well I can tell you that I have a single account with which I can log on to either site. I know it's the same account because earlier I tried logging on to .com and changing the name on the account and when I logged on to .co.uk it showed the same name.

I also know that when we found out about the same-email-different-password scenario we tried to set up a separate account using the husband's email address. His account originated in .co.uk so we tried to use it to register a .com account and it told us that email was already in use.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Mike L
Wizard

Can we clarify this. Are you saying that you can register at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk under the same credentials? Or rather that when you log in to one site, you are automatically logged into the other?

If the latter, that's not what I am seeing. I just logged out completely from both sites. I then logged into Amazon.com as normal. When I then went to Amazon.co.uk and tried to view my current orders, it forced me to log in again.

I might have misunderstood the original point, but the above is definitely what I am seeing.

Mike
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
latepaul
Wizard

Quote:
Can we clarify this. Are you saying that you can register at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk under the same credentials? Or rather that when you log in to one site, you are automatically logged into the other?
I'm saying that I think you used to be able to register on both sites using the same email address and I'm speculating that's what happened to my friend's wife.

I'm also saying that having myself only registered once, I am still able to log on to both sites. But I'm not saying anything about being logged on automatically and in fact I'd agree with you that you need to log in separately to each site. However having logged on to both sites I can see that I'm using the same account because of things like if I change my displayed name it changes in both.

The distinction is that my friend's wife has two accounts, both have the same email address, but different passwords. If she logs on to .co.uk with password #1 she sees no books (and no registered devices) and a particular version of her name. If she logs out and logs on again (to .co.uk) with password #2 she sees her books, her devices and a slightly different version of her name.

Clearer?