Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
fishman
fishman began at the beginning.

Device: Basic Kindle Reader
Using Calibre with 2 Kindles

Hi. Sorry, I am a Newbie and would like some help. I have Calibre installed and use the basic Kindle reader for my ebooks. As my wife and I often read the same books I am getting her the same model for Christmas. What I need to know is can the same book be sent to both devices and if so how in laymans terms do I do it. Hope someone can help and thanks in advance
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre is not normally aware of specific devices so you can always send the books to whichever Kindle is currently plugged in via USB.

You may want to look into the Reading List plugin as it allows you to maintain lists of books at the individual device level.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
fishman

Thanks for that. When I set up Calibre it asked me for my email address (To) and my Gmail address (From) so I thought it was done by email. Are you saying that using the USB connection I can select say 3 books from my Calibre library and send them to my Kindle then change the Kindles over and send the same 3 books to my wife's Kindle? Cheers
Old 12-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre supports sending books either through Amazon via email or by direct USB connection to your PC/Mac. If using the email route you probably want both Kindles registered to the same account so a single send can get a book onto both Kindles.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Direct (USB) connection, you can send the same 3 Non-Copyrighted books, to 1000 Kindles as long only 1 is connected at a time
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
fishman

Thank you both. Will wait till she has the new kindle then try the USB cable route and see how we go. Might have to come back again as I am not very good with computers etc but I hope it works as detailed by you. Much appreciated
Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Thank you both. Will wait till she has the new kindle then try the USB cable route and see how we go. Might have to come back again as I am not very good with computers etc but I hope it works as detailed by you. Much appreciated
I have also had good success loading my K4NT from the Calibre content server (the K4 browser is labeled 'Experimental' on the Home Menu )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's very easy. Just plug in your Kindle, calibre scans the kindle and makes a list of what books are already there, then select books in calibre and click send to device. The books-on-device list is saved (and updated) on the Kindle itself so different devices will show what's on that particular device.

If your books in calibre came from an ebookstore they may have DRM which will be device-specific, and calibre cannot make your Kindle read it, but other than that you should be fine.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
fishman

Hi Again. Tried the USB route this morning using my sisters Kindle and it worked ok. So many thanks to itimpi, theducks and eschwartz for your help. Much appreciated
Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have my mothers kindle registered to my Amazon account so she can also easily download any books I have bought from Amazon.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
fishman

Hi. Me again. Does anyone know if this also works with Nook readers? Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes. All devices have an independent cache on the device, not in calibre.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote