Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
need the epson/e-ink 11.5" (12" or 13" would be even better but it's a start!) ASAP!
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
T.D.02809
Enthusiast
T.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen WiFi, Kindle App for MAC
Thanks tech is incredible Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
E Ink also provided me with following amazing video featuring the actual E Ink Pearl roll display material used in Nook, Sony, Kindle etc. The video was shot alongside the Charles river in Cambridge/Boston and you can see MIT (E Ink is MIT spin off) and Boston skyline in the background. The display is a few feet wide and can go one kilometer (it was 500 meters in this video):

Thank you Charbax for sharing this! I spent a few years in this area. Now I am in Fort Lauderdale (1450miles or so south of Boston). This tech is simply incredible!
T.D.02809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I would have liked a 300 dpi reader with no anti-aliasing in rendering fonts
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Yes, please! A 11.5" Device for reading textbooks and papers, and a 6" device for the road. When, where, who?!?!
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
a 10-11" reader would be great for techdocs and such.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Interesting how the guy avoids the questions of price of the color vs. monochrome display. And how the software is going to be more expensive than the display. Uploading the software onto the finished device might as well be the cheapest part of the whole process - developing has to be done only once. I would not be surprised if the OS on an ereader already supports color, and the control chip for the display possibly already accepts color input, but has to turn it into monochrome for display.

Would love to see a large reader for home in the 14" range for a full page display. Some already in mass production (like the russian school jetbook) - but where do you buy it ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Interesting how the guy avoids the questions of price of the color vs. monochrome display. And how the software is going to be more expensive than the display. Uploading the software onto the finished device might as well be the cheapest part of the whole process - developing has to be done only once. I would not be surprised if the OS on an ereader already supports color, and the control chip for the display possibly already accepts color input, but has to turn it into monochrome for display.

Would love to see a large reader for home in the 14" range for a full page display. Some already in mass production (like the russian school jetbook) - but where do you buy it ...
You can buy it on Taobao in China for RMB 2800.-, the Hanvon Reader. Hanvon is the actual manufacturer of this Jetbook. I have never seen the real thing in China in a store and it seems kind of steep for a Chinese designed product (I always have my reservations about those), so I didn't go for it. Besides, the 2800.- includes the 17% local VAT.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
300 dpi, large screen...

Oh my poor heart.

Thanks, Charbax.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #24
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I think that the price of the display would be dependent on the buyer (manufacturer of the device).
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Anyone have any idea about manufacturers that might sell the digitizer version of that large reader?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #26
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
Where did you see a 14" ereader in mass production?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Where did you see a 14" ereader in mass production?
Excuse me, I meant large screen one in the 2nd sentence. I probably should have worded it:

Quote:
I want a large screen color (preferably 14") now. Some other large screen are already in mass production like the Jetbook.
Unless his example of "devices in mass production" meant, there is this exactly ONE device. And at a price of $500 the jetbook is not really a steal is it?

But I think that a serious color large screen that is suitable for e.g. PDF files needs to have at least 300 ppi b/w resolution, so that the color resolution is 150 ppi. In the video he fails to mention that you can't turn the color off and use it as b/w with higher resolution at will. That is almost as misleading as saying: this CRT monitor has a awesome resolution - it can display 3 times HD resolution. Well yeah, DOH, because it has red, green and blue dots all over the screen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
Having a Sony 650 and Nook Color I'd LOVE for Sony to come out with a 6" color reader. I'd be set. (Metal case, please.)

Like others have posted, I'd like to see how vivid the colors are. I could deal with less saturation than LCD in order to lose the backlight and weight.
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #29
Koda
Connoisseur

Btw the jetbook is 9.7" just like the Amazon, Onyx and the Sony, the only news here is the color.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
In the video he fails to mention that you can't turn the color off and use it as b/w with higher resolution at will.
You can't turn the color off because it's achieved with filters.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces, demo, e ink, eink, screen