Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #706
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Great I'll search through the Kobo Forum, Thanks!

Luck;
Ken
You are very welcome! :-)
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #707
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I finally got a MicroSD card working correctly (at least I think it is correct).
I copied the 7gb or so that I had on a 32GB MicroSD card I use in my Eee Transformer
over to a folder on my PC. All except a couple of folders of various ebooks, about 200MB

It completed the "Processing Content" and it now shows up in the device information as;
30GB.

My PC's OS can see both the Kobo and the MicroSD and assigned drive letters for both.

So it looks like I will be able to see how calibre does with "Send to" card A.

I didn't see anything in the Developer's section of the Kobo Forum that specifically
addressed the Aura HD, so I am assuming that there is no separate development ready
for public view.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #708
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that the firmware is more or less the same across all the Kobo devices. In fact most log them use the same downloads.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #709
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Wandered up to my local Indigo earlier today to look at the Aura. Nice but no sale! There is no way I can hold it (or any other reader without buttons) with one hand and turn pages back and forth. It is simply not possible. I would have to have a thumb at least twice as long as my current equipment. The larger screen is nice and the resolution better than my eyesight. The contrast is no better (and no worse) than other Kobo readers that were beside it. I really, really, really want an eink display with a 50:1 contrast ration (but I doubt that I will get it.) The front lighting is the usual cheap (read bluish) white LED and is noticeably uneven, especially at the edges. I find this very distracting. This was noticeable in a well lit store. I suspect it would be worse in low light levels.

Yes, I know that I am a luddite and standing in the way of progress but insisting on buttons. However, I still think that my devices should suit me, not that I should suit my devices.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #710
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why would you even think that this was possible?
Some people were claiming the Aura runs Android, even though it does not.
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #711
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
There is no way I can hold it (or any other reader without buttons) with one hand and turn pages back and forth.
Two options with the Kobo: swipe your thumb to the left to advance a page, and to the right to go back a page; you can also configure the middle third of the screen to go back a page, so you can tap without the reach.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #712
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Two options with the Kobo: swipe your thumb to the left to advance a page, and to the right to go back a page; you can also configure the middle third of the screen to go back a page, so you can tap without the reach.
Train a lap dog to turn the pages on command, my king charles has no problem changing pages (Not on command, unfortunately, but it's a bit dim - the labrador would probably do better, but as the idea is to read while eating I feel it would cause more problems than it solves). Rats are small and quite bright
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #713
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Train a lap dog to turn the pages on command, my king charles has no problem changing pages (Not on command, unfortunately, but it's a bit dim - the labrador would probably do better, but as the idea is to read while eating I feel it would cause more problems than it solves). Rats are small and quite bright
Go with the rats. The dogs will question your tastes in reading.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #714
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Go with the rats. The dogs will question your tastes in reading.
Get a parrot. He can replace the text-to-speech function.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #715
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I currently have 2400+ books on my aura SD card. Works fine except for the long time to open shelves which is a Kobo problem not specific to the aura AFAIK. My mini ccan handle 500+ before the shelves take longer than 24 seconds to open and usually it is a little quicker than 24 second, typically 11 seconds.

If you are experimenting with shelves the light can come in handy to see if Aura is frozen. Toggle the light and it will usually change state within a minute if Kobo is not frozen.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #716
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Or ferrets. I feel this is a task a ferret could very easily be able to do.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #717
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
OK, my Aura HD just got here. I have it pluged in to give it a charge.

It looks like they want me to go to a setup site and download "Kobo Desktop", what do
I need that for?

Luck;
Ken
I did it all via wifi, so you don't need it.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #718
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
PS; On the shipping invoice it's Brown. For me it takes a lot of light before it doesn't
look Black.
Yes, it's a subtle brown...
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #719
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
This depends on where you are holding it, however!

I like to hold devices from the bottom, like a paperback, but with the Aura, my thumb falls EXACTLY where the menu tap is, hence pages don't advance so blamed easy, since Kobo did NOT provide a configuration where the menu is in a different spot. And moving the reader so my thumb falls in a tap zone means the balance is way off and not comfortable.

I have longer fingers than average and the Aura is just not good for turning pages in my preferred hold. My thumb can *barely* reach over that large bottom bezel for a tap, a thumb swipe isn't happening.

Now, I still love my Aura for the screen, but if I had to choose between it and my Sony T1, the Sony would win! The ergonomics of the Sony are better, the epub rendering is better (no occasional huge blank spaces in the text), the annotation and note-taking are FAR better, as is the reading of PDF fiction.

Fortunately, I can have both!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #720
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
Or ferrets. I feel this is a task a ferret could very easily be able to do.
Ah... A new class of ADA Service Animals!

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote