Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
okman
okman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Talking [Solved] Blinking green led + blank screen

Hello all !

I was messing with my Kobo & the KoboRoot.tgz in order to enable telnet and ftp stuff but...

After disconnecting the first time > Updating...
Then reboot...
And nothing, just a blank screen et blinking green led.

What are my options ?
- Doing a Hard reset ? But how do you do it ?
- Try to restore a sdcard img with the "dd" command ? But how can I find these glorious images ?

Best regard & thx for helping my Kobo
(I'm sad when my pixie face is not visible !)

Solved EDIT (for people like me hacking Kobo without knowledge :P):

In here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=13

Last edited by okman; 02-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
okman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by okman View Post
What are my options ?
- Doing a Hard reset ? But how do you do it ?
If there is any chance that your power was low I would charge it for a bit first. Then hold the power button on for 10-15 seconds to make sure the device is truly off. Since the Mini doesn't appear to have any other buttons, press and hold paperclip in the reset hold and turn the power switch on (with a Touch you could try holding the home button or a Glo holding the light button too).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
okman

I did try this trick but it didn't work.
Led turns green, blue, and same blinking green light.

Battery was near to 100% when I had this problem.

Last edited by okman; 02-08-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
According to here, blinking green is a 'simple' software problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer
The green light of my kobo mini will not stop flashing what should I do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by expert
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX XXXX Expert and I am happy to be working with you today. Let's see if we can get your problem resolved!

This may be a simple software problem. Reload the system software by pressing and holding the power switch for 20 seconds. The Kobo should come back online within 3 minutes. Let me know if it doesn't work.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
okman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
According to here, blinking green is a 'simple' software problem.
I saw this post and tried it too but no result, just blinking green light after doing it :-/
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gah how annoying. Have you contacted Kobo? Maybe there's a secret hard reset option for the mini we don't know about yet.

Otherwise, it's open up the mini and get the uSD card out.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
okman

Quote:
Gah how annoying. Have you contacted Kobo? Maybe there's a secret hard reset option for the mini we don't know about yet.

Otherwise, it's open up the mini and get the uSD card out.
No contact with Kobo yet but I'll try if there is not another solution...
I can get µSD card out but what do I do with it without image to restore ?

Thx for helping me btw !
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
As far as I am aware, if you open the Kobo's back cover (without unscrewing anything, just remove the customizable back cover), there is a reset button that can be pressed. That is what I thought the hard reset is on a Mini - but perhaps you were thinking of something else?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
okman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
As far as I am aware, if you open the Kobo's back cover (without unscrewing anything, just remove the customizable back cover), there is a reset button that can be pressed. That is what I thought the hard reset is on a Mini - but perhaps you were thinking of something else?
It's, I think, just soft reset button.
I want to force it to restore (if possible) software in hidden partition... factory reset.

Last edited by okman; 02-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard

I can't find how to hard reset the mini with the hardware anywhere.

I assume you've tried plugging the mini in? Sometimes that gives it a boost and makes it start up.

And, have you tried plugging it in and then doing all the reset options (so, soft reset by putting a pin in the whole, and harder reset by sliding & holding until off, then putting and holing pin in hole, then sliding power on)?

If nothing works I'd ask Kobo directly for the hard reset with hardware. And if they say there isn't one you'll have to ask a kind person with a mini to give you an image of "the" partition... There doesn't seem to be one circulating yet for the mini.

Edit: Oh, there are people that actually have an image: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193321
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193411

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-08-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I was messing with my Kobo & the KoboRoot.tgz
Next time you do that make your own factory partition back up first I'd say :P
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Just found this - might be of some help

Kobo Mini
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
okman

I solved it !!!

Step I did (I was on linux so I saw all partitions):
- Take SDcard from Kobo (open the back and take it)
- Put original rcS file in partition "rootfs" (etc/init.d/rcS)
- Removed files copied when upgrading with KoboRoot.tgz file
- Switch on

AND PIXIE FACE ON THE SCREEN !!
I did a factory reset via menu & a backup, just in case :P

Thx all of you guys for helping me out !
(I added karma point )

Last edited by okman; 02-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

YAY!! Congratulations! I'm glad you fixed it and now have a working mini again!

And thanks for the karma
Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
I solved it !!!

Step I did (I was on linux so I saw all partitions):
- Take SDcard from Kobo (open the back and take it)
- Put original rcS file in partition "rootfs" (etc/init.d/rcS)
- Removed files copied when upgrading with KoboRoot.tgz file
- Switch on

AND PIXIE FACE ON THE SCREEN !!
I did a factory reset via menu & a backup, just in case :P

Thx all of you guys for helping me out !
(I added karma point )
Yay! Thankyou for the karma . . .
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote