I'm charging iPad every day 37 45.68%
I'm charging iPad maybe 3 to 5 times per week 24 29.63%
I'm charging iPad once or twice per week 13 16.05%
My iPad does about 12 hours on a single charge 13 16.05%
My iPad does about 10 hours on a single charge 35 43.21%
My iPad does about 8 hours on a single charge 10 12.35%
My iPad does about 6 hours on a single charge 3 3.70%
iPad has become my sole multi-purpose unit 25 30.86%
I'm using additional gadgets, i. e. video game consoles, eBook readers, to preserve battery on iPad 7 8.64%
I'm looking for a solution to preserve battery, for example external battery packs 6 7.41%
After a few initial charges, battery duration has increased on my iPAd 5 6.17%
Battery duration already seems to have degraded on my iPad 6 7.41%
Battery duration always has been the same 37 45.68%
iPad to me is competing with my other gadgets 21 25.93%
iPad to me is an addition to my other gadgets 29 35.80%
I'm an Apple fan 22 27.16%
Before iPad, I have been an Apple sceptic 15 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #46
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
My iPad consumes about 8% overnight. That is with Wifi and push-eMail on. So your 2% per hour seems rather high! Have there still been any downloads active?
I didn't have any active downloads. But of course I don't know what it's doing in the background...
Just turned it on again. In 10 hours without usage, battery has dropped another 2%. So in 11 hours it dropped by 4% compared to your 8% overnight. I guess, it's just not accurate enough to measure drops by 1% or 2%.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #47
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Ongoing: (Between sessions leaving iPad in standby, not turning it off)
Down 23% in 150 minutes = indicating 10.9 hours. (Reading a lot)
Down 29% in 175 minutes = indicating 10.1 hours. (Downloading a lot)
Down 48% in 245 minutes = indicating 8.5 hours. (Surfing and doing some WiFi speedtests)
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #48
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
You mean I could have been charging iPad all along instead of leaving my PRS-600 a fortnight at a stretch?
How could I resist?
I've left my 505 for months unused now, so leaving your PRS-600 a fortnight at a stretch sounds about right
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #49
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I've left my 505 for months unused now, so leaving your PRS-600 a fortnight at a stretch sounds about right

I left my Sony e-reader about a year ago, when I returned it to the store, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #50
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I tend to leave my iPad plugged into my desktop whenever I'm at work and into my laptop whenever I'm at home. I assumed that if it was connected via the cable, nearly all the time, that it wouldn't drain on the battery during minor use and thus keep the battery charged for whenever I needed it. I also assumed that if it was plugged into the desktop while I used it at work, it will actually preserve the battery. If I'm wrong about this, that'd be useful to know.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You are correct. If you leave the iPad connected to your PC, it will very slowly charge, even though it says "Not Charging".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #52
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But, will it damage the battery if I use it in the manner I've described or will it preserve the battery?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It shouldn't matter either way. Lithium Ion batteries don't mind being "topped up", and the charging circuit should cut out when it's fully charged.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #54
omro
Addict

Is it a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't know, but my remark applies to both types.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #56
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Is it a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery?
The iPad uses lithium polymer.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #57
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are correct. If you leave the iPad connected to your PC, it will very slowly charge, even though it says "Not Charging".
this is only partially correct.

if the ipad receives a full 1000ma it will charge quickly and say "charging" up top. most computers do not provide this output although some newer macs do. the apple ipad adapter does, but not the apple iphone adapter, that is only 500ma. full charge time on 1000ma is roughly 4 hours.

if the ipad receives 500ma it will trickle charge slowly when it is in sleep mode (screen is off) and can get a full charge from 0 to 100% in about 8 hours. it will not charge while the screen is on and the ipad is in use, this includes directly using the ipad, transferring files, syncing, etc. the screen must be off. when the screen is on it will say "not charging" because it is not charging at that time. it is charging when the screen is off.

most usb hubs provide 500ma per port, as well as most car adapters. most computers also provide 500ma per port as well. some laptops may share 500ma between two ports, be careful if you have 2 ports right next to each other and a device plugged into both. apple's iphone adapters are 500ma.

if the ipad receives < 500ma it will work for syncing (working off its own battery) but will not charge at all and will display "not charging" in the status bar.

there are some 3rd party adapters like griffin's powerblock will provide full voltage for the ipad.

some computers and usb hubs can put usb ports into "sleep mode" if they don't detect data transmission for a period of time. your ipad won't charge if the port is shut off.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #58
omro
Addict

are there no adapters that allow you to take two usb ports and combine them into a single port capable of charging the iPad more effectively?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #59
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
are there no adapters that allow you to take two usb ports and combine them into a single port capable of charging the iPad more effectively?
there may be, but i have not seen one, but i have not looked for one. you might try searching with google.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #60
omro
Addict

I did, the words are a little too common for google to be helpful lol