Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Adding new fonts to (rooted) Nook?

From Nookdevs website, it shows how to "replace" an existing font files in Nook with our own font files.

I just wonder whether we could just "add" new font files, and the new font option will show on the font selection menu for me to choose?

I ask because I have some Thai documents which I want to read on my Nook without the need to embed Thai fonts; or converting them to PDF. I've tried an embedded Thai font epub, though, it can display Thai correctly, it won't wrap sentence/paragraph to fit the display screen. PDF is good, when changing font size to medium up, the reflow could not display Thai properly (no problem with English text).

If adding a new font is possible, I may try with pdb document and choose a new font (Thai+English font set) on my Nook, when I want to read such document. Or I can try epub without embedded Thai font.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I don't think Android has come this far yet. As an operating system, it's only been on consumer devices since October 2008, so it's still in its infancy.

Even on Android-based phones (which generally come with only one font installed) you have to replace the system font rather than adding your own to the mix.

I'm sure better font support will happen later, but when is a good question...and whether it filters down to the nook when it arrives is open for debate.

On the positive side, the nook has three built-in fonts. It has the advantage over most Android devices on the market so far. You have the option on a rooted nook for three custom fonts if you so choose.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert