Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
The fingerprint button is a great idea...if it works great...which I have never seen a fingerprint scanner do. We'll see I guess
The one on my Motorola Atrix 4G never worked well. It was very inconsistent. I gave up and just used a PW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No tablet intros?
Oh, well... nothing to see then.
I'll just move along... move along...
No, last year the September event was iPhone only and the October event was for iPad. I expect the same, assuming there is an October event. The rumors and leaks on iPads have been almost non-existent this year.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm getting the 5S in 64GB and gold. And then the Beige and Blue cases. I'm really excited about the fingerprint scanner. Mostly because it might take advantage of iCloud Keychain, and then because I won't have to type my passwords anymore.

Looking forward to using the new camera. I love the whole multiple shots thing.

Oh, and Infinity Blade III!!!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Well to be fair a 64-bit processor could be big news...but not on a phone with a 4" screen. I wonder if that's even useful, or just like 4 cores completely useless for all but a handful of specialized apps. I know it didn't make any difference in my day to day usage of Windows. Battery life and a bigger screen would have been more in tune with what people are demanding.

I checked out iMore for details, and you know, Apple's song and dance routine is getting pretty old. They went into great detail about how much better the battery and camera are...when in reality they are still average. Do people still buy that?
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Meh.Nothing new or exciting.
The future lies in the Far-East side of the smartphone world.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The one on my Motorola Atrix 4G never worked well. It was very inconsistent. I gave up and just used a PW.
Yeah I use one at work every day, one that costs more by itself than the entire iPhone, and it still fails a lot. That's why as much as I want to like this feature, I have a feeling it will fall into the gimmick category, much like Google's face recognition.

But I won't judge it just yet.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Year-over-year phone upgrades are largely incremental and rarely mind-blowing. And that's okay, because almost no one buys a new phone every year. But if you're upgrading from a 2- or 3-year old model, this is a huge improvement. The difference between the original iPhone, released only six years ago, and today's model is unbelievable.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Well to be fair a 64-bit processor could be big news...but not on a phone with a 4" screen. I wonder if that's even useful, or just like 4 cores completely useless for all but a handful of specialized apps. I know it didn't make any difference in my day to day usage of Windows. Battery life and a bigger screen would have been more in tune with what people are demanding.

I checked out iMore for details, and you know, Apple's song and dance routine is getting pretty old. They went into great detail about how much better the battery and camera are...when in reality they are still average. Do people still buy that?
The specs are better than the last few iterations of the iPhone. For the average user, of course not. But I use the heavy apps that do benefit from the new stuff.

Apple wouldn't release something that hadn't had proper testing beforehand.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No, last year the September event was iPhone only and the October event was for iPad. I expect the same, assuming there is an October event. The rumors and leaks on iPads have been almost non-existent this year.
They've been heating up over the last week.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...d-mini-shells/
Not sure two underwhelming dog and pony shows are better than one, though.

Well, at least the colored plastic shells are opaque instead of translucent, this time around.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Year-over-year phone upgrades are largely incremental and rarely mind-blowing. And that's okay, because almost no one buys a new phone every year.
Actually, lots and lots of people buy a new phone every year. At least around here and many other places I'm familiar with. iPhone owners in particular.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm not seeing the value in a 64 bit processor for the phone. I can see it for faster cryptography. But what phone app needs more than 4 GB of addressable space? The GPU is faster all on its own so we don't need it for graphics (very few developers will produce games that can only be played on the latest device).

It might make universal apps easier to write. Once and done for Mac, iPad, and iPhone? Dunno.

I would have preferred much improved battery life in the trade-off with performance, exactly what they did with the newest MacBook Air.

The 5C disappoints me only because it is not being sold at enough discount to the 5S, IMO. I need to handle one to see if it feels "cheap." The earlier plastic iPhone felt fine so I expect these will as well.

I do like the camera improvements. If you think the latest phone cameras are total crap, you're holding it wrong. Show me your other automatic color-balancing flash, lol.

I use an even worse phone camera to scan documents these days and the phone is always with me, something even my tiny Canon S-series digicam can't say. Sure there is still a place for full-size (meaning 35 mm) cameras but most consumers are fully served by this generation of phone camera. Don't forget the medium format snobs always looked down their nose at 35 mm. Heck, the large format guys (I was one of those) did the same to medium format!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Actually, lots and lots of people buy a new phone every year. At least around here and many other places I'm familiar with. iPhone owners in particular.
No, they don't. Not relative to those who upgrade every few years, anyway.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I suspect my current 4S will be my last iPhone. I've really like the three iPhones I've owned, but I'm also really liking what I'm seeing Android. I've still got about another year on the current phone, and we'll see what happens.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
iPhone replacements for accidental damage under AppleCare+ just shot up from $49 to $79 per incident; with a max of two incidents.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Apple wouldn't release something that hadn't had proper testing beforehand.
I guess they missed the memo on iMaps. And Siri. And the antenna for the 4. And the battery for the 4S.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Siri was still in beta earlier this year (still is?). No good excuses for those others though.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote