Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #61
vomov
Member Retired
vomov began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
It might be due to an interaction with the firmware, since I'm using the 2.1.2 fast boot, but I'm glad it's fixed! Also: the larger archive also shows the pages without an increasing delay

As I see it, the status bar shows the date, time and battery level, of which the time is the most relevant. I don't need the status bar, and therefore it's lost screen real estate, but I could get if someone would like to keep it.

But in both cases, I'd see it as a preference for all books, and not a per-book setting.
vomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #62
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by vomov View Post
It might be due to an interaction with the firmware, since I'm using the 2.1.2 fast boot, but I'm glad it's fixed! Also: the larger archive also shows the pages without an increasing delay

As I see it, the status bar shows the date, time and battery level, of which the time is the most relevant. I don't need the status bar, and therefore it's lost screen real estate, but I could get if someone would like to keep it.

But in both cases, I'd see it as a preference for all books, and not a per-book setting.
Do you not see the page map icon, page number, zoom scale and image name in the status bar?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #63
vomov
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Do you not see the page map icon, page number, zoom scale and image name in the status bar?
Oh, yeah, those are there too (guess I don't look at it at all )
I don't really care about the zoom level, or the name of the image. The exact page number is also quite meaningless, while I could see some relevancy to the page number versus the total number of pages. But the percentage gives a more understandable value. I don't really care where I am in a comic, since it'll end when it does. Also, since it remembers where you stop reading, it isn't really a value you use, per se.

Though I could see someone somewhat rely on the percentage for a sense of 'how long till the end', if the option was there, I'd personally prefer the increased screen real estate above the percentage.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #64
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomov View Post
Oh, yeah, those are there too (guess I don't look at it at all )
I don't really care about the zoom level, or the name of the image. The exact page number is also quite meaningless, while I could see some relevancy to the page number versus the total number of pages. But the percentage gives a more understandable value. I don't really care where I am in a comic, since it'll end when it does. Also, since it remembers where you stop reading, it isn't really a value you use, per se.

Though I could see someone somewhat rely on the percentage for a sense of 'how long till the end', if the option was there, I'd personally prefer the increased screen real estate above the percentage.
Okay, I was just worried that it wasn't displaying properly because of some firmware issue. I'll add a line to the configuration for setting the default on startup, and add a toggle in the main menu for temporarily enabling/disabling it. I won't bother saving the state on a per book basis. I hope that fits the use profile for status bar haters.

Edit: Okay. I've updated the first post and my website with the new versions. You can disable/enable showing the status bar for the current reading session from the main menu. You can also configure whether you want the status bar disabled/enabled by default at the start of the program.

Last edited by rkomar; 02-17-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #65
vomov
Member Retired

Works!
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #66
Jean Rouanet
Jean Rouanet began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket 602
Hi rkomar,
You're really great ! Why don't you give ( sell ? exchange against a 903 ?...) your program for viewing image archives to Pocketbook. This is a MUST. All machines shoud include it !!
Best regards Jean xxx
Jean Rouanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #67
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Rouanet View Post
Hi rkomar,
You're really great ! Why don't you give ( sell ? exchange against a 903 ?...) your program for viewing image archives to Pocketbook. This is a MUST. All machines shoud include it !!
Best regards Jean xxx
Hi Jean,
I'm glad you like the program. I wouldn't sell it because the image display code was almost entirely written by someone else (Michail Polubisok) who released it as open source with a specific license (GPL) that requires all other programs based on his code to also release the source code. I also agree with the open source philosophy, that we should be able to improve the work of others and release that for others to improve, as well.

The PocketBook devices already have many open source programs on them (especially within the underlying operating system). They can already distribute the program with every device if they want to, as long as they abide by the GPL license and give out the source code to anyone who asks for it. They don't need any specific permissions from me.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #68
Pascal V.
Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PocketBook 903
Hi rkomar,

I'd also like to thank you for this app which is a must have!

Pascal
Pascal V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #69
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal V. View Post
Hi rkomar,

I'd also like to thank you for this app which is a must have!

Pascal
You're welcome! And thanks for letting me know; it feels good to know that the program is useful to others.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #70
rkomar
Wizard

I've uploaded new versions of the program with two improvements. I've added icons to the global configuration menu to make the text larger and more readable. I've also added a cartoon panel detection and navigation feature. It can automatically detect the location of panels, and then the arrow keys can be used to jump between the various panels on each page, centering on each one. It probably isn't as useful as using a stylus to drag the image, but for those of us without touchscreens, it should make reading cartoons and manga easier.

You can enable it on a page-by-page basis by doing a long press on the Left or Right buttons. Pressing the Right button orders the panels from left to right, and pressing the Left button orders them from right to left. You can also toggle automatic panel detection in the main menu, so that you can start navigating immediately as soon as each new page appears. The Back button cancels panel navigation on that page if you want to go back to normal navigation. The Left and Right buttons jump consecutively through the images, changing pages when you go past the first/last panels. The Up and Down buttons can also be used to move to panels immediately above and below the current panel.

The panel detection only works if the panels are completely separated from each other with background space between them. Any line connecting separate panels results in them being treated as one panel. The current panel has a black rectangle drawn around it to make it easier to understand what is going on during navigation, especially when multiple panels are grouped together. The background between the panels is assumed to be White by default. If it is Light Gray or Gray instead, you can specify that from the menu to improve panel detection.

The detection algorithm is usually pretty fast, but starts to slow down as the images get very large. The settings are not saved when the program quits, so you have to re-enable it whenever you open the file again.

Enjoy!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #71
rkomar
Wizard

There was a bug in the cartoon panel detection code when the images had 3-byte RGB data instead of 1-byte grayscale (shows up with some PNG images). The binaries linked in the first post have been updated with the fix.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #72
Pascal V.
Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pascal V. knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

hi rkomar,

The new version does not seem to work as flawlessly as the previous one : I can't rotate the images anymore and the program does not remember the page at which I was. However, when I open a book that I was already reading before (with the previous version), it opens it at the last page I had seen.

Do you know where this could come from ?

Thanks!

Edit : apparently, I can't zoom either. Also, the panel detection works, but it only highlights the panels with a black border and I can't make them in full page.

Last edited by Pascal V.; 10-10-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: new info
Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #73
rkomar
Wizard

Thanks for the bug report. I haven't had any problems with books not opening at the last page read, so it may be hard for me to debug this problem, but I'll take a look at it. As far as automatic rotation goes, I have seen that problem, too, but in my case it works for a while, and then becomes unresponsive later. Now that I know it happens to others, too, I'll look into seeing why it happens.

I don't have any problem zooming with any of the various ways to do it, but I don't have a touchscreen, so I can't test that method. Can you explain how you are trying to zoom? It's true that zooming moves the panel off-center in the screen, and I should probably fix that.

It's true that panel detection works best when they have black borders. Most important is that they are separated by "white" space that extends out to the edges of the page. If there is no empty space between the panels, the algorithm will not work. So, it's only good for some books; for others it will not be much use.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #74
Pascal V.

Quote:
Thanks for the bug report. I haven't had any problems with books not opening at the last page read, so it may be hard for me to debug this problem, but I'll take a look at it. As far as automatic rotation goes, I have seen that problem, too, but in my case it works for a while, and then becomes unresponsive later. Now that I know it happens to others, too, I'll look into seeing why it happens.
For me it is not "after a while the automatic rotation stops working" but rather that it does not rotate at all when I try to do it in the menu.

Quote:
I don't have any problem zooming with any of the various ways to do it, but I don't have a touchscreen, so I can't test that method. Can you explain how you are trying to zoom? It's true that zooming moves the panel off-center in the screen, and I should probably fix that.
I tried to zoom with the menu, not with the touchscreen (although my pocketbook has it, as it is a 903), but it just does not do anything.

Quote:
It's true that panel detection works best when they have black borders. Most important is that they are separated by "white" space that extends out to the edges of the page. If there is no empty space between the panels, the algorithm will not work. So, it's only good for some books; for others it will not be much use.
I think the algorithm for panel detection works, as I said, it leaves the page as is except it "frames" the first panel. However, I can't zoom on it or anything, so what happens is that I can only move the "frame" from panel to panel.
The frame is well placed usually : it corresponds exactly to the panels (at least on the only comic I tried)

Thanks for looking into it rkomar,
and if you want me to test some stuff to help you debug, do not hesitate.

Last edited by Pascal V.; 10-19-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #75
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
For me it is not "after a while the automatic rotation stops working" but rather that it does not rotate at all when I try to do it in the menu.
Ah, now I see. I always leave automatic orientation turned on, so I didn't see this bug with the rotation menu. It is easy to fix, and I'll put out an updated version when I can fix some of these other bugs as well.

Quote:
I'm tried to zoom with the menu, not with the touchscreen (although my pocketbook has it, as it is a 903), but it just does not do anything.
Do you mean using the Custom Zoom Scale menu item (where you type in a zoom percentage)? It seems to work fine for me. Do the Mag+ and Mag- buttons works for zooming? What about the long press Up and long press Down?

Quote:
I think the algorithm for panel detection works, as I said, it leaves the page as is except it "frames" the first panel. However, I can't zoom on it or anything, so what happens is that I can only move the "frame" from panel to panel.
The frame is well placed usually : it corresponds exactly to the panels (at least on the only comic I tried)

Thanks for looking into it rkomar,
and if you want me to test some stuff to help you debug, do not hesitate.
Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. I didn't try to zoom on each frame, because it was more difficult to do, and also because it could be more confusing to the reader as the scale changes for each panel. However, I'll try to add some code that will keep the panel centered if you zoom in or zoom out.

You also mentioned that the last page wasn't saved when you quit. I find that this is true if I use the back button to bring up the multi-task menu to kill the program. It doesn't get the signal then that is used to shut down the program properly. If I quit using the program menu, then the last page is saved successfully. Do you normally quit using the multi-task menu? If so, I'll have to figure out if there is another event that I can use to save the state before the program exits.