Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Kindle Keyboard Software Update Version 3.3

Kindle Keyboard, aka K3, has a new update available. If you aren't patient enough to wait for the OTA, the updates can be found here. Take note, this is from Amazon.com. Each of the following KKs require different updates:

Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi: Download 3.3
Your serial number will start with "B008"

Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - U.S. and Canadian Customers*: Download 3.3
Your serial number will start with "B006"

Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - European Customers*: Download 3.3
Your serial number will start with "B00A"

Some of the features included in this update are:

Download your archived Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: You can now view and download your archived personal documents to your Kindle Keyboard conveniently anywhere at any time. Your personal documents will be stored in your Kindle library until you delete them from Manage Your Kindle.

Whispersync for Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: Just as with Kindle books, Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for personal documents (with the exception of PDFs) across the Kindle devices. Learn more about Kindle Personal Document Service on www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments

AmazonLocal deals on Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers: Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers users in many regions can now view,purchase, and redeem AmazonLocal deals directly from Kindle Keyboard -- no computer, no printer, no hassle. AmazonLocal offers savings up to 75% off products and services from businesses in your city, national chains and online merchants. Learn more about AmazonLocal on www.amazonlocal.com.

Voice Guide Shortcut: Kindle Keyboard users can now quickly turn the Voice Guide feature on and off by holding the Shift key and pressing Spacebar. Voice Guide reads aloud menu options, content listings and item descriptions. To learn more about using Voice Guide on Kindle Keyboard, visit Customize Your Reading on Kindle.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am still on 3.1 and cannot see how to update.

If I go MENU>SYNC I just get the message "no new documents"
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I am still on 3.1 and cannot see how to update.

If I go MENU>SYNC I just get the message "no new documents"

Download the correct .bin file from the linked page. After plugging the USB cable to your Kindle, drag the .bin file to your Kindle (most likely, Drive K). Do NOT put this file into one of the document folders. After ejecting the Kindle, the "Update Kindle" should be lit. Home page/menu/settings then menu/update Kindle.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I hadn't tried the USB approach but I was wondering why I hadn't got to 3.2 via WIFI
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I hadn't tried the USB approach but I was wondering why I hadn't got to 3.2 via WIFI
I believe 3.2.x is the SO version. You would have to purchase a "Special Offers" Kindle to have it. Anyway, non SO versions will go from 3.1 to 3.3.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
foxfly
foxfly began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Kindle Keyboard, aka K3, has a new update available. If you aren't patient enough to wait for the OTA, the updates can be found here. Take note, this is from Amazon.com. Each of the following KKs require different updates:

Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi: Download 3.3
Your serial number will start with "B008"

Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - U.S. and Canadian Customers*: Download 3.3
Your serial number will start with "B006"

Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - European Customers*: Download 3.3
Your serial number will start with "B00A"

Some of the features included in this update are:

Download your archived Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: You can now view and download your archived personal documents to your Kindle Keyboard conveniently anywhere at any time. Your personal documents will be stored in your Kindle library until you delete them from Manage Your Kindle.

Whispersync for Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: Just as with Kindle books, Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for personal documents (with the exception of PDFs) across the Kindle devices. Learn more about Kindle Personal Document Service on www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments

AmazonLocal deals on Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers: Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers users in many regions can now view,purchase, and redeem AmazonLocal deals directly from Kindle Keyboard -- no computer, no printer, no hassle. AmazonLocal offers savings up to 75% off products and services from businesses in your city, national chains and online merchants. Learn more about AmazonLocal on www.amazonlocal.com.

Voice Guide Shortcut: Kindle Keyboard users can now quickly turn the Voice Guide feature on and off by holding the Shift key and pressing Spacebar. Voice Guide reads aloud menu options, content listings and item descriptions. To learn more about using Voice Guide on Kindle Keyboard, visit Customize Your Reading on Kindle.
I tried to update my kindle from OS 3.1 by USB copying .bin into root folder, I carefully checked the serial number "008" and tthere should no way to mistaken the bin file.
Bug I met an error in 2nd rebooting process (there was "step1 of 2") on right bottom. "Your update is not successful, kindle will be restarted", any comments on that?
foxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I'm updating mine now.

Edit: Everything went smoothly but turn on WiFi or it will tell you no books are in your archive items! They will show up once you synch the K3.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-14-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Any significant improvements/ new features other than those mentioned in the OP?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #9
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Updating my Kindle 3 er I guess make that Kindle Keyboard went smoothly.

I was really hoping that we'd get the full screen refresh happening less often the way the new models work, but no luck there. Strange, since Duokan allows you to do that so it's not a hardware limitation. Why would they want only some of their models refreshing without that flash every page?

I rarely use personal documents, at least via Amazon since it won't let me send them to my iPad Kindle app, so I just use calibre. The Voice Guide shortcut works, but I don't really need it either. Nice to have it there I suppose.

Is there anything else about this update that's different from the old version? Looks pretty much the same otherwise.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #10
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Successfully updated to 3.3 via USB sideloading
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Does anyone know if the jailbreak still works? Also, if you are already jailbroken and updated, can I have a copy of /usr/sbin/otaup
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Hopefully it doesn't break the screensaver hack, otherwise I'll try to stay on 3.1 as I see nothing compelling there.

As for the screen refresh that Snorkledorf mentioned, I really hope that they don't implement that, as I prefer the flash to be consistent. Flashing sometimes seems more annoying than every time, and at least on the Nook, it causes subtle ghosting by the time it finally does refresh.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Hopefully it doesn't break the screensaver hack, otherwise I'll try to stay on 3.1 as I see nothing compelling there.

As for the screen refresh that Snorkledorf mentioned, I really hope that they don't implement that, as I prefer the flash to be consistent. Flashing sometimes seems more annoying than every time, and at least on the Nook, it causes subtle ghosting by the time it finally does refresh.
Screensaver hack works and refresh isn't changed at all for keyboard users.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
How to I get to see the Personal Documents on the KK?
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
kapsi
kapsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I was hoping for word hyphenation but nooo....
kapsi is offline   Reply With Quote