Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
Kindle Touch + Multi-level TOC

Does anyone know if the new Kindles will support multi-level toc (table of contents) like the Sony Reader? I've not been able to find an answer to this. Thanks.
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It is supported if the publisher built the TOC correctly, I believe.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I can tell you that my K3 and my K4 NT both support multi-level TOCs. As @susan_cassidy states it does require the publisher to format the TOC/book correctly, and we all know that most eBook publishers have great difficulty getting their eBooks formatted correctly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	multi-level-toc.gif
Views:	513
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	77735  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-13-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I can tell you that my K3 and my K4 NT both support multi-level TOCs. As @susan_cassidy states it does require the publisher to format the TOC/book correctly, and we all know that most eBook publishers have great difficulty getting their eBooks formatted correctly.

Thanks for your responses, but it looks like from the picture you posted that we mean different things by multi-level. I don't mean merely indented, but linkable/clickable. Say there's a long academic book or a Bible with thousands of chapter or sub-chapter headings. In the Kindle, will the contents display all of them at once, so that to get to the last entry, one must first page through many entries? Or could it be done like in the Sony Reader, where one might click (say, for the Bible) first New Testament, then Revelation, then chapter 20--all within the Kindle's contents menu? Otherwise it would be cumbersome to get there.
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbinder View Post
Thanks for your responses, but it looks like from the picture you posted that we mean different things by multi-level. I don't mean merely indented, but linkable/clickable. Say there's a long academic book or a Bible with thousands of chapter or sub-chapter headings. In the Kindle, will the contents display all of them at once, so that to get to the last entry, one must first page through many entries? Or could it be done like in the Sony Reader, where one might click (say, for the Bible) first New Testament, then Revelation, then chapter 20--all within the Kindle's contents menu? Otherwise it would be cumbersome to get there.
The example I gave is linkable/clickable as you say. I used H1 HTML tags to designate level 1 headings and H2 HTML tags to designate level 2 headings. Each is automatically incorporated into the TOC and thus linkable. However, the Sony scheme of expanding or contracting heading levels within the TOC is not supported by Kindle. I wish it was!

BTW, a huge TOC like that for a Bible is never going to be good on an eReader, even when using a Sony. There are just too many headings in too many levels. A new scheme must be discovered to quickly navigate a Bible type of document. I believe @Sirmaru (sp?) developed one for the Bibles he formats. You might search here for that scheme. It was a year or more ago that i saw his post, so it might take some digging to find it.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle does not support multi-level TOC in the ePub sense. A Kindle TOC is just another page in the book with hyperlinks to chapters/sections. Those hyperlinks can have an outline structure, i.e be 'multilevel' in appearance. But to use it, your reading position actually changes to the page with the TOC.

An ePub TOC is based on an NCX structure that is a separate component within the ebook, and the reading system can bring up a navigable TOC view, sometimes being able to 'collapse' the multi-level view. And you can dismiss the view without leaving your current position in the book. It is usually quite a bit nicer than what Kindle offers, but occasionally you find reading systems that only show the top level of the TOC (like Nook Touch). Probably that's what the OT is asking about.

Kindle ebooks often also contain an NCX, but it's only used for chapter navigation, and functionally it is really only top-level (though you can coerce it to navigating 2nd level also). The Kindle Previewer actually has an 'NCX view' that is very much the same as an ePub reading system. Wish they would add that to Kindle itself.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-14-2011 at 06:42 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wish Amazon would buy Adobe and start using ePub. It is a better and more versatile format, and there are more tools available to make creating eBooks easy. Yes I know, it will never happen!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wish Amazon would buy Adobe and start using ePub. It is a better and more versatile format, and there are more tools available to make creating eBooks easy. Yes I know, it will never happen!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I like the idea of ePub, and especially the better TOC navigation, but what I find is that the various reading systems are not very consistent in rendering them, and the versatility comes with the downside that there are more things to go wrong, formatting wise. Then there are the somewhat annoying pauses that occur each time a new chapter has to load up. It's nothing that won't improve over time, and ePub3 brings some interesting things to the table, but right now I find the consistency and performance of Kindle mostly superior.

I think ePub will eventually make it to Kindle but it might take another year or two. Some of the ePub3 stuff is stuff Amazon is going to want to do, and they'll have a hard time getting publishers on board with 'mobi2', I think, especially since there's been no inkling that 'mobi2' even exists. ePub3 is going to take awhile to ramp up (well, there's iBooks, but it's just a start) & there's plenty of time for Amazon to join the ePub3 party.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
epub (the format itself) really isn't the issue, it's turning over the keys to their whole e-book business to Adobe, which just isn't gonna happen.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Ugh you hit something I've been trying to figure out. I buy a omnibus in epub and convert it to mobi in Calibre but I lose the Navigation because the spine and ncx file don't line up!

The thing is I don't know how to fix this most of the time because epub's ncx file uses a text entry at the top Level and it's not link to any file.

If I leave it in the NCX file it doesn't translate well over to mobi and I loose the ability to jump chapters. There's probably a simple fix but I've yet to find it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote