Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
willmize
willmize began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Accidently Deleted my Calibre Library! Dang it!

You know the saying, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Well I just became VERY dangerous.
And severely lacking in eBooks.

I keep all my books in ePub format and was trying to delete all formats except ePub, and guess what?
That's right! I deleted everything, including ePub!

So now I have an empty library folder.
I couldn't find an undo or revert or knock that off or anything.

BUT I am hoping that all is not lost, as I have everything on my iPad.

Is there anyway to have my desktop version of Calibre sync with my iPad and copy all my books from my iPad to my desktop library folder and return sanity and peace to the land?

Fingers crossed and thanks!

- Bill
willmize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I can't answer about the iPad but have you checked your Recycle Bin? That's where deletions normally go.

Once you recover your library, before doing anything drastic, you should make a back up copy in case something does go wonky. It's a good idea to always maintain a backup anyway but even a temprary one while treading unfamiliar territory is better than nothing.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
willmize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I can't answer about the iPad but have you checked your Recycle Bin? That's where deletions normally go.

Once you recover your library, before doing anything drastic, you should make a back up copy in case something does go wonky. It's a good idea to always maintain a backup anyway but even a temporary one while treading unfamiliar territory is better than nothing.
Hey Jeannie!
Thanks for responding, in retrospect I left out a few salient points of information.
- I'm working on a mac, with Snow Leopard OSX. Checked my trash, didn't see anything resembling a calibre folder or library.
- My eReader software on my iPad is Stanza.

Hope this helps subsequent answers!
Thanks again to everyone.

- Bill
Old 10-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
The magic word is "backup". Too late now, but useful for the future.

There is a way to get your books from the iTunes backup, assuming you sync and backup your iPad with iTunes. I think the program is called iPhone Backup Extractor. It works with iPads, also.

The books may also be in your user/music/itunes directory. I forget exactly where Stanza keeps its data.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, willmize

Once you get your problem sorted out, (and if there is any way to do so someone here will let you know)
please feel free to use the "introduce myself" link below and explore other areas of this forum.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
tadhgadams
tadhgadams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
The magic word is "backup". Too late now, but useful for the future.

There is a way to get your books from the iTunes backup, assuming you sync and backup your iPad with iTunes. I think the program is called iPhone Backup Extractor. It works with iPads, also.

The books may also be in your user/music/itunes directory. I forget exactly where Stanza keeps its data.
You can access Stanza's documents directly through the iTunes application and save them to your computer.
tadhgadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhgadams View Post
You can access Stanza's documents directly through the iTunes application and save them to your computer.
True enough. I'd never noticed the "Save to" button in the Stanza window.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
willmize

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhgadams View Post
This! This this this this this!
Thank you for the reminder.
I wanted to stop back and say thank you to everyone who responded, and so also write down what I did to solve this problem in case anyone else may wander through the forum in search of an answer.

1) Plug in your iPad
2) Go into iTunes, click on your iPad on the left.
3) Click on "Apps" across the top of your iTunes screen.
4) Scroll down until you see a list of apps that you are able to File Share with. It will say appropriately "File Sharing"
5) Click on "Stanza".
6) You should now see your entire library, as it exists on your iPad on the right hand side.
7) Highlight one book, then CNTRL-A to highlight them all.
8) Click on "Save To" on the lower right hand side.
9) A finder/explorer window will come up, asking you where to save all your books. I created a new folder called "Stanza Library Back Up".
10) Click on "OK" (Windows) or 'Choose" (OSX) and the books will start to populate that folder.
11) You now have a recent, up to date back up of your Stanza library, which you can now import into Calibre.

Done!

Thanks once again to everyone who answered on this Saturday. I appreciate it.

- Bill

http://www.williammize.com
Old 10-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem. We'll send you a bill at the end of the month.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmize View Post
This! This this this this this!

- Bill

http://www.williammize.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
No problem. We'll send you a bill at the end of the month.
urm........was he kissing us?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
urm........was he kissing us?
Uh, don't be givin' me straight lines...
Old 10-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Sign up for a Dropbox account (free for 2GB), stick your calibre library in there and don't worry about backups in the future. Dropbox keeps revisions of everything.

Please use my referral link if you like the Dropbox idea.
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg3OTUwNTk
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
willmize

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Sign up for a Dropbox account (free for 2GB), stick your calibre library in there and don't worry about backups in the future. Dropbox keeps revisions of everything.

Please use my referral link if you like the Dropbox idea.
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg3OTUwNTk
I would TOTALLY take you up on this and get you some extra GB, but I'm already a Dropbox convert and user. Love using it to keep stuff synced between my home computer, my work computer, my iPad and my iPhone.

- B
Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
A caveat to consider when using Dropbox to recover accidentally deleted books: You either need to save the books somewhere outside the Calibre library and re-import them or you'd need to revert the metadata.db as well to the correct version. Otherwise, your library will have inconsistencies, which is a Bad Thing.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote