Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #10411
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Paul, when this machine was used, nobody even suspected there was another land mass, much less given it a name. Besides, anyone who even tried to sail that far would certainly fall off the edge of the world!

Stitchawl
Fascinating clue. Really scratching my head.

Books
Germany
?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #10412
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Paul, when this machine was used, nobody even suspected there was another land mass, much less given it a name. Besides, anyone who even tried to sail that far would certainly fall off the edge of the world!

Stitchawl
Now I'm intrigued.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #10413
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Now I'm intrigued.

Quite frankly, it is a mind-blower!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #10414
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Fascinating clue. Really scratching my head.

Books
Germany
?
Nope... and further south.

Stitchawl
Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #10415
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Roman Empire?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #10416
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

Stitchawl
That old? Was it for Wooden Clubs, in Central Europe. Inventor was Ug the Elder?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #10417
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Nope... and further south.

Stitchawl
Papyrus.
Egypt.
??
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #10418
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Definitely the Mediterranean Area, and roughly the same time period as the Roman Empire...

... and Ug the Elder did invent wooden clubs but they were sold only through licensed chain retailers, never from vending machines. My 'product' came from a coin-operated machine located at the entrance of a building. If no one guesses the answer by my morning, I'll post the answer while I eat my Kalamata olives, and flatbread spread with za'atar and olive oil.

(If I gave you any more clues, it would have to be the answers!! LOL!)

Bed time now... If someone want to put up another question while I get my beauty rest (if I get any more beautiful, I'm going to become a public menace...) go right ahead.

Stitchawl
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #10419
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cigarettes
Galileo
Italy
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #10420
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Wine
Greece
?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #10421
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Holy Water
Egypt
Inventor was a Greek engineer but forgot his name.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #10422
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Holy Water
Egypt
Inventor was a Greek engineer but forgot his name.
Yes, this is the answer I was looking for.
The first coin operated machine ever designed was a holy-water dispenser that required a five-drachma piece to operate. It was the brainchild of the Greek scientist Hero in the first century AD.

... and Ug the Elder is still kicking himself for not thinking of it first!

Stitchawl
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #10423
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Fascinating stuff, had no idea. Love questions like that.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #10424
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Easy peasy! (No pun inteneded)

Borrowed word from one of the African languages, brought over by the slave trade. Peanuts were a food staple for the slaves and they used their word for it. The slave owners corrupted it into 'goober.' One of the first folk songs I learned to play on the guitar!

Sitting by the roadside on a summer's day
Chatting with my mess-mates, passing time away
Lying in the shadows underneath the trees
Goodness, how delicious, eating goober peas.

Stitchawl
I know I'm late for this one, but I just discovered this recording:

Jump to 4:20. Thanks for bringing this great folk song to me
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #10425
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
I know I'm late for this one, but I just discovered this recording:

Jump to 4:20. Thanks for bringing this great folk song to me
Glad you like it!
Listen to the Kingston Trio's version. Bright and lively... real hoedown music!

Stitchawl