Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
taliasross
taliasross began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Just got my Sony Reader

and I'm psyched. But I can't download books from my local public library. Forgive my ignorance, but could it be that the pdfs from the library are encrypted? Does that mean I can no longer check books out digitally from the library?

Help. And thanks!
taliasross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep, unfortunately that is correct... generally I think library e-books are in MobiPocket format or DRM'd (protected) pdfs, and neither can be read on the Sony Reader. But there are some great sources for public domain e-books (older "classics") at places like ManyBooks and Gutenberg.

I don't get e-books from my library, but I do get audiobooks and play them on my Treo with Pocket Tunes (those are encrypted audio files also). The only downside is that I can't get them directly on the Treo, but have to download them to WMP10 first on my desktop computer and then transfer them to the Treo with the DRM credentials.

Fortunately, they have many of the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, which is one of my favorites.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
taliasross
taliasross began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Yep, unfortunately that is correct... generally I think library e-books are in MobiPocket format or DRM'd (protected) pdfs, and neither can be read on the Sony Reader. But there are some great sources for public domain e-books (older "classics") at places like ManyBooks and Gutenberg.

I don't get e-books from my library, but I do get audiobooks and play them on my Treo with Pocket Tunes (those are encrypted audio files also). The only downside is that I can't get them directly on the Treo, but have to download them to WMP10 first on my desktop computer and then transfer them to the Treo with the DRM credentials.

Fortunately, they have many of the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, which is one of my favorites.
Oh man. I'm so sad to hear that. Thanks for breaking the news gently.
taliasross is offline   Reply With Quote