Device: kindle
Quote:
Well, I never said it would be easy.[
Well its not easy .i agree
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveangel View Post
Well its not easy .i agree
That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Media has had to make changes to its formatting in the past, to make way for new printing technologies, for photography, for color, for faster response to breaking news, etc. Making the decision now to refuse to change their formatting for the new digital medium is just being lazy, it's doing a disservice to their customers, who deserve their best effort to take full advantage to the new medium.

When faced with major changes in the past, media creators would morph, merge, find new investors/patrons in order to manage the changes they needed to make... or they've gone out of business as customers refused to accept their limited offerings in a brave new world of possibilities. The media creators who refuse to upgrade are largely digging their own graves. Kurtzweil's efforts amount to giving them bigger shovels.

The efforts of companies like Bonnier are more in line with where media companies should be going, creating new formats that optimize the digital media. These will be the magazines we will be reading in the future... not those who want to look like paper on a computer screen.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
True, templates would work. One thing about them, though, is it makes the creator responsible for creating a new template for every new screen format (or sometimes every device) built and added to the market.

With style sheets, the content creator creates one style sheet, and the new device is responsible for adapting that style sheet to its new format. And legacy material does not have to be re-altered to fit a new device that comes along after it was created. Putting the onus on the device, rather than the creator, is more practical and logical.
Templates is an idea, if only to fix margin.
The thing really needed is all e-reader maker, and all publishers to say : we will do thing that way.
Always define the basic stuff (ie page margins, font of main text), the same way. So e-reader can overing to get someting adapted to its resolution, or to the reader's liking.

And Blio ? We don't need yet an other format...
What can blio do ePub would be unable to do ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-20-2010 at 01:47 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
And Blio ? We don't need yet an other format...
What can blio do ePub would be unable to do ?
Make Ray Kurzweil money :d
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Make Ray Kurzweil money :d
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Whenever I hear someone talking about "preserving formatting" the message I get is "optimizing for a size other than that of the screen I'm using."

I like the idea of preserving formatting in principle; but if your perfectly formatted page doesn't fit my screen I'm not interested. My idea of perfect formatting starts with fitting my screen - nothing else fits my needs. Get enough iPad sized devices out there (all with exactly the same screen) and it might work out.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote