Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Getting TOC to work?

When the TOC appears for a LRF, PDF, or EPUB file, but is not functional - either in the original or on the ereader - is there a way to get it to work?
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
You must not mistake the TOC that is part of a book (as any chapter, text or whatever), placed there by the author or the editor, with the TOC that is generated as metadata and is displayed when you select the "TOC" menu item on the Reader...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Whether it's an "internal" or an "external" TOC, if it doesn't work, I'm afraid there's nothing that you can do about it, short of editing the book yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I may have missed some meaning here (being a non-native english speaker) but in my Reader, the TOC works perfectly...

The generated TOC (external, if you want) is used transparently by the Reader software, and all you have to do is access the TOC screen and choose a chapter by using the number keys.

Books with a built-in TOC (internal, then) can be browsed by using the right directional pad and selecting a chapter, provided the TOC is made with hypertext links ; and for books with a non-hypertexted TOC, you can always choose the desired chapter by manually entering the page number (using the number keys).

Am I missing something ?

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
enarchay
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Whether it's an "internal" or an "external" TOC, if it doesn't work, I'm afraid there's nothing that you can do about it, short of editing the book yourself.
How can I edit the book myself?
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
enarchay
Zealot

Also, is there a way to add a TOC to RTF files? Some PDFs I have to convert to RTF to look good on my reader, but in doing so I lose the TOC. Maybe there is a way to convert the RTF to EPUB or LRF and add the TOC then? I don't know. I'm trying to get the most out of my ereader.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have an RTF file, the easiest thing to do is to load it into a tool like "Book Designer" and create a "proper" Sony LRF book, which will have a working TOC.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
I may have missed some meaning here (being a non-native english speaker) but in my Reader, the TOC works perfectly...
We are discussing books that don't have a TOC.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Or possibly a book with an internal TOC that isn't hyper-linked.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Or possibly a book with an internal TOC that isn't hyper-linked.
Sorry, that's what I meant - a book without a "functional" TOC. Eg, a text or RTF file that has a TOC as text in the actual book, but it's just text.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
enarchay
Zealot

So any ideas?

I figured out how to add a TOC to PDF files with Adobe Acrobat, but I only have the trial version, so once that runs out I won't be able to do that anymore.

Still not sure how to add a TOC to LRF, RTF, or EPUB files - through conversion or whatever.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please see my post #7 above.