Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #46
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarrunner71 View Post
"If the Mobipocket eBook was DRM free, you would be able to load it onto your Kindle no problem. Also, if it was DRM free, you could convert it to ePub, LIT, LRF or HTML using Calibre. So if it was DRM free Mobipocket being offered instead of PDF, it would be a win-win situation for all involved."

I understand, but I was addressing Shane's comment that he can't use Mobi on his Mac to convert his books. I also have this problem. Everyone says convert files using MOBI, MOBI, MOBI! It doesn't work on a Mac, and yes I know you can run Windows on a Mac--but I own a Mac because I HATE Windows. I haven't found Calibre that user-friendly, but I'm new at this. I'm still learning.
Please feel free to ask any questions you have about Calibre. There are a lot of people who will help walk you through any conversions you need to do.

You can also use Stanza which works on Macs.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #47
horrormall
horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I've spent the last week, even before coming to this site, doing research and development on eBooks at Horror Mall, as I run Darkside Digital. So I appreciate all the feedback and views. From a technical perspective, I'm extremely knowledgeable, as I handle website building and PHP development. With that being said, the reason eBooks are stunted in growth is the complexity of the simple conversions. And simply too many formats for publishers and readers to deal with.

I really like ePub format. No DRM for that, but if I end up offering .epub files, we'll probably go DRM-free across the board.

But it's not that simple. You have to be in agreement with other publishers and their authors and so on.

So we'll see how it goes.
horrormall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #48
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I won't bend your ear further about the disadvantages of DRM :-) But I will mention that Baen Books has been selling DRM-free e-books for many years. They might be willing to talk to you about how it has been working for them, and how they have persuaded (some of) their authors to sign on. Eric Flint, in particular, is an author and an editor for Baen (I think) who is a vocal supporter of doing business this way.

The Baen Free Library (do you want some science fiction? The first taste is free...) is here: http://www.baen.com/library/

(Note: they don't give everything away--Nobody could make money doing that--they give *some* things away and charge for others! The Baen Free Library is the free section.)

The books they sell are at: http://www.webscription.net/
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #49
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Made my first purchase there. A fairly streamlined proceess.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
darkside digital