Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #46
Polterg
Polterg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I've got it too...

I just found these forums - I got mine just under 3 weeks ago and have noticed the dust appearing for about a week now. I read for 1 to 5 hours a night and love it - but the dust appears to be getting worse. First speck was in the lower right quadrant - about an inch in from the right & bottom. Then another appeared in the upper right.

Now I've got about 7 or 8 specks and it is quite annoying as it will block the text on the screen. A spot or two appears to be at a different level than just under the screen - almost like it's floating between the layers. It's a shame that a $400 unit would perform like this as I truly love my reader. It's been 10 years since I last read a book, and have read about 7 since I got it!

Anyways - I called Sony support tonight - And through my agent's helpful advice (yet incredibly thick accent) He had me perform a reset - and suggested that i charge it to full power. It is at full power as I put it on the charger every night (which I bought seperately since the pc wasn't charging it fully through the USB port)

He recommended that I call back tomorrow if the problem doesn't go away. I don't guess that it will - And then they'll have me send the unit in for repair - and since it's a "replacement model" they'll send me a replacement. He hasn't heard about this problem being common with the 700 - and has only heard of it once before.

I'll update here... I promise - I just hope that others out there will do the same.

Thanks,

...Ryan
Polterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #47
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polterg View Post
I just found these forums - I got mine just under 3 weeks ago and have noticed the dust appearing for about a week now. I read for 1 to 5 hours a night and love it - but the dust appears to be getting worse. First speck was in the lower right quadrant - about an inch in from the right & bottom. Then another appeared in the upper right.

Now I've got about 7 or 8 specks and it is quite annoying as it will block the text on the screen. A spot or two appears to be at a different level than just under the screen - almost like it's floating between the layers. It's a shame that a $400 unit would perform like this as I truly love my reader. It's been 10 years since I last read a book, and have read about 7 since I got it!

Anyways - I called Sony support tonight - And through my agent's helpful advice (yet incredibly thick accent) He had me perform a reset - and suggested that i charge it to full power. It is at full power as I put it on the charger every night (which I bought seperately since the pc wasn't charging it fully through the USB port)

He recommended that I call back tomorrow if the problem doesn't go away. I don't guess that it will - And then they'll have me send the unit in for repair - and since it's a "replacement model" they'll send me a replacement. He hasn't heard about this problem being common with the 700 - and has only heard of it once before.

I'll update here... I promise - I just hope that others out there will do the same.

Thanks,

...Ryan

In short, there is dust on my screen... so charge it! lol worst response ever
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #48
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Laugh that's just a "Get off my phone" response. Ah well, it's been 4 days and I"ve got the shakes.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One would have thought that companies would learn from the mistakes that others have made.

A few years ago, HP iPaq Pocket PCs were notorious for getting dust inside the screen (it got it through the stylus slot). They added a "seal" around the edge of the screen and that fixed it. Sounds as if Sony need to do the same thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #50
debacler
debacler began at the beginning.

Update

Hey guys, I had a chance to follow up on this issue today and I spoke with Sony support about the reviews. It seems that they are moderated by a third party and the disappearing or unposted reviews were the result of some sort of glitch/miscommunication/etc and not any kind of intenional censorship. This is being looked into.

They are trying to get to the bottom of the dust problem as well. Although the dust in my 700 hasn’t gotten very bad yet, they’ve offered to replace it so that they can have their technicians exam my old one. The issue is on their radar and they’ve been monitoring forums and contacting users with this problem. If you have a good example of this problem, you may want to get in touch with Sony. Hopefully they’ll be able to determine where the dust is coming in from and whether the problem is widespread.

At the end of the day, I’m still not a fan of the 700. The touch screen has proven too much of a compromise for my liking, among the device’s other issues. YMMV, of course. That said, I have been quite impressed with Sony’s support, which is a big point in their favor. They’ve been very responsive and great to work with.
debacler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #51
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by debacler View Post
Hey guys, I had a chance to follow up on this issue today and I spoke with Sony support about the reviews. It seems that they are moderated by a third party and the disappearing or unposted reviews were the result of some sort of glitch/miscommunication/etc and not any kind of intenional censorship. This is being looked into.

They are trying to get to the bottom of the dust problem as well. Although the dust in my 700 hasn’t gotten very bad yet, they’ve offered to replace it so that they can have their technicians exam my old one. The issue is on their radar and they’ve been monitoring forums and contacting users with this problem. If you have a good example of this problem, you may want to get in touch with Sony. Hopefully they’ll be able to determine where the dust is coming in from and whether the problem is widespread.

At the end of the day, I’m still not a fan of the 700. The touch screen has proven too much of a compromise for my liking, among the device’s other issues. YMMV, of course. That said, I have been quite impressed with Sony’s support, which is a big point in their favor. They’ve been very responsive and great to work with.
That's good to hear. Hopefully they can come up with a good solution that doesn't involve them getting back a whole bunch of old units.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #52
debacler

I was packing up my 700 and it occurred to me to snap a couple of pictures before I sent it off. If I had to guess, I'd say the dust is getting in through the seam between the metal and the gray bezel surrounding the screen. The pictures aren't so great, but it's a pain to get a nice shot in the dark without the flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2615.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	23055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	23056  
Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #53
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was packing up my 700 and it occurred to me to snap a couple of pictures before I sent it off. If I had to guess, I'd say the dust is getting in through the seam between the metal and the gray bezel surrounding the screen. The pictures aren't so great, but it's a pain to get a nice shot in the dark without the flash.
Nice work!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #54
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Nice pics!!
Looks like an x-ray was taken. The spot on mine are not as bad (yet)
but either way, your unit should be swapped out (no questions asked)

Further to the sony review site and the alleged pulled comments/reviews,
One of the mods on the sony site contacted me and told me that due to
the tiny little reference I made about ebooks source, forced them to
pull the post.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #55
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Excellent pics. I don't have any dust spots at all...yet...but I will be on the lookout now that I know what to look for.
Thanks...WDE
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #56
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

8 Days without mine while Sony has it. I'm going into withdrawl.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #57
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Beg pardon, please, but has anyone reported spots like that on the lightwedge cover? I thought it was "sneeze drops" that had dried on, but when I tried to clean it, the spots seem to be inside the light. When I saw the pics above, that's exactly what it seems like. Very tiny, not bothering me enough to return it, but the spots look exactly like the pics.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #58
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Just to update you all. Sony still has my reader and the "repair update" page hasnt been updated since Feb 11'th when they sent it to a tech to install the parts we were waiting for. <sigh> Withdrawl is now full featured.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #59
debacler

Update

My replacement 700 arrived today. Sony's support was very helpful in getting me a brand new unit in just over a week, so kudos to them.

Unfortunately, my replacement STILL HAS DUST SPOTS! In fact, it has more than my original 700 started out with. I've had it with this. The 700 has been a massive, frustrating disappointment. I think I've spent more time trying to work around the device's shortcomings than I have reading. At this point, I'd rather just have the unit replaced with a 505 and eat the 100 dollar difference. Or maybe I'll have the thing framed so I can hang it on my wall to remind me to make smarter purchases. Back to paper for now.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #60
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My replacement 700 arrived today. Sony's support was very helpful in getting me a brand new unit in just over a week, so kudos to them.

Unfortunately, my replacement STILL HAS DUST SPOTS! In fact, it has more than my original 700 started out with. I've had it with this. The 700 has been a massive, frustrating disappointment. I think I've spent more time trying to work around the device's shortcomings than I have reading. At this point, I'd rather just have the unit replaced with a 505 and eat the 100 dollar difference. Or maybe I'll have the thing framed so I can hang it on my wall to remind me to make smarter purchases. Back to paper for now.

Holy crap, that really sucks. I'd make some noise for that.