Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle 2.0 new rumored release date: Q1 2009

Remember last summer when CrunchGear announced that the next Amazon Kindle device would be released around October this year? Well, guess what, it turned out that it didn't happen. Apparently, according to their super-well-informed sources, Amazon chief Bezos wasn't satisfied with the software and thus postponed the release.

Quote:
It was scheduled to be released in October in time for this holiday season, but Bezos himself reportedly pulled the plug for last minute changes to the software. Our sources now say it’s tentatively scheduled to go on sale in “early next quarter.”
The same CrunchGear sources claim that a Kindle student device, featuring a larger screen, would be targeted for the first half of 2009.

Related: Kindle 2.0 in October 2008?, Not one, but several Kindle successors in the works!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'll be interested in seeing the next generation of Kindle. But I can assure you that I am *not* interested in a Kindle that looks like the picture that Crunchgear released.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wait a sec... he wasn't satisfied with the software... but no word on the hardware? If the leaked image depicted here is real, then I must seriously question his sense of taste...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm quite intrigued by this bit :
Quote:
from what we hear a bunch of new ebook products are about to hit the market, and some of them may be real competition to Amazon.
i wonder what exactly they've heard ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Chunchgear still says this is the real device:
Quote:
The images that surfaced of the new Kindle in October are real - it’s a longer device but not as thick as the original Kindle, and fixes some of the button issues that plague users (like accidental page turns).
Some of us concluded that it had to be fake, because it is so poorly designed. However, I agree that the software is everything and I wonder how much of the new software will work on the Kindle 1.0? The Kindle 2.0 could have a significantly more powerfull cpu and more memory, and this would limit backward compatibility.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yes, a more powerful CPU (without sacrifying battery life) and more internal memory would be most welcomed. Other than that, I am not sure how software plays such an important role with the Kindle to justify the supposed release delay.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Yes, a more powerful CPU (without sacrifying battery life) and more internal memory would be most welcomed. Other than that, I am not sure how software plays such an important role with the Kindle to justify the supposed release delay.
Folders, support for additional formats (pdf)...
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I still can't believe that the device pictured and described is going to be the next version of the Kindle -- it is a significant step backwards from the current version.

It is bigger than current version but with the same sized screen. Who wants that?
Instead of a leather case it comes in a bag. Once again, who wants that?
It doesn't support SD cards. I love my 4gb SD card with tons of books. I also have a backup SD card.
They may not be pretty, but I also like the big buttons. Sue me.

The only thing I see from this device that I would want is support for folders, and I really can't see why a software update wouldn't allow the current Kindle to support folders.

IF the rumor that a Kindle 2.0 will be released in Q1 is true then I really doubt that it will be the device that is pictured.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Chunchgear still says this is the real device:
Quote:
The images that surfaced of the new Kindle in October are real - it’s a longer device but not as thick as the original Kindle, and fixes some of the button issues that plague users (like accidental page turns).
Some of us concluded that it had to be fake, because it is so poorly designed. However, I agree that the software is everything and I wonder how much of the new software will work on the Kindle 1.0? The Kindle 2.0 could have a significantly more powerfull cpu and more memory, and this would limit backward compatibility.
I wonder if Amazon is trying to live up to the reputation for "ugliest" reading device.

Thinner is good, but not essential. Longer is bad. There's too much *white* plastic around the screen; which wouldn't be such a bad thing if the eInk screen had a white background instead of a grey one. The frame needs to disappear rather than stand out.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I really don't think there will be a new Kindle next quarter. Amazon is very good at customer satisfaction. Do you really think that they would to piss off the people who are buying it right now (thanks to the Oprah effect)? Remember, there is currently an 11 to 13 week shipping delay for the Kindle.

And besides, software features isn't a good reason to delay shipment so long as the new Kindle can match the features of the old. You can always add new features in a firmware update.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if longer is required to make room for the parts that are "stacked" in 1.0.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've been wanting a Kindle for a couple of months (since I finally decided that Sony isn't serious about the business). If the Kindle student device isn't crippled and there's an indication that textbooks for it are forthcoming, I'll be at the front of the line to take that plunge.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Then again, this device could be using the new Epson controller chip. The screen might be fast enough to make a typing program practical. It's possible that this might be a multifunction device.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

And besides, software features isn't a good reason to delay shipment so long as the new Kindle can match the features of the old. You can always add new features in a firmware update.
But why buy if the new package has the same software as the old? If 1.0 can get a software update, I think eBay prices will go even higher for it. Losing user battery replacement and SD card support is not a good thing.

I will still buy whatever they put out.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I still can't believe that the device pictured and described is going to be the next version of the Kindle -- it is a significant step backwards from the current version.
Yeah, that's it, "De-evolution" in these harse economic (recessionary) times may just be a marketing ploy to gain sympathy/support...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle 2.0