Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
miztiik
Enthusiast
miztiik began at the beginning.

Device: Yet to decide on one - My reason to join here
Help Needed to Nail it -

Another one , who is confused by all the variety and offerings.

My requirements

* One time Buying, no plans to buy/upgrade another in the near future ( say a year or two )

* I intend to use it daily(so usage is going to be high)

* Avid reader ( But no technical documents to read) But collections include PDF (Do know a few means to convert them to doc or txt), doc, html,txt.

* USB connectivity and SD memory must

* I do read quite often outside ( travel often )

* Screen Size: 1st gen kindle screen size was good ( not too sure how it compares with sony )

* Would like it to be optimal for comfortable holding for few hours.

Optional Featires ( Can do away with most of them )

* Bookmarking

* Dictionary

* Searching

Will add more , as it comes to my mind

---Advance Thanks for whoever stops by to help me
miztiik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't tell us what country you're in - that's important!

If PDF support is important, assuming you want a 6" device (a screen the same size as the Kindle's screen) I'd suggest either the Sony or the CyBook. They do, however, approach it in different ways - the Sony will "reflow" the PDF to fit its page size (better for straight text); the CyBook will let you "pan" over the full-sized page (better for complex technical layouts, etc).

All the devices support bookmarking. The Kindle (only available in the US - hence my question about where you live!) supports searching; the Kindle and CyBook support dictionary lookup, but the Sony doesn't. The Kindle doesn't support PDF.

ie:

Kindle: No PDF, but has searching, dictionary lookup.
CyBook: PDF, dictionary, no searching.
Sony: PDF, no dictionary, no searching

All the devices mount as USB drives and support SD cards (although, to be honest, that's of limited relevance - the internal memory of all is sufficient for several hundred typical books).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Since I own both Kindle and Sony readers, I can comment on those. Both will meet your criteria. The Sony reader directly supports PDF, while the Kindle will require that you convert the PDF file to a supported format. Neither one is going to do a good job with a PDF designed to be printed on A4- or letter-sized paper.

> One time Buying, no plans to buy/upgrade another in the
> near future ( say a year or two )

Of course. You won't get any new functions released in new versions, but either device will work just fine for a LONG time.

> I intend to use it daily(so usage is going to be high)

Battery life of both is good. When reading heavily, I charge once every 4-6 days. The Kindle battery seems to hold up a *bit* better than the Sony one, particularly when left in idle state.

> Avid reader ( But no technical documents to read) But collections
> include PDF (Do know a few means to convert them to doc or txt),
> doc, html, txt.

Sony supports PDF (including reflow and DRM), ePUB, TXT, RTF, and BBeB (LRF & LRX). Kindle supports MobiPocket (AZW, PRC, MOBI) and TXT. Both support MP3 and AA audio formats.

I'd recommend using Calibre to convert any other formats to LRF for the Sony. You can use MobiPocket Reader/Converter to convert all other formats for the Kindle. Amazon.com also offers a free conversion service for DOC, HTML, and PDF.

> USB connectivity and SD memory must

Absolutely

> I do read quite often outside ( travel often )

Do you mean "outside" as in "sitting in the sun"? Both are very good in the sunlight since they use the same E-Ink screen.

> Screen Size: 1st gen kindle screen size was good ( not too sure
> how it compares with sony )

Sony and Kindle use the same screen. Sony's software displays 8 shades of grey, while Kindle's only displays 4 shades. The dithering in the Sony appears to produce a better output when displaying a color picture or one created with more than 4/8 shades of grey.

> Would like it to be optimal for comfortable holding for few hours.

Both are comfortable to hold and read with for hours on end. I find the page-turning buttons on the Kindle easier to manage single-handed.

> Optional Featires ( Can do away with most of them )
> Bookmarking
> Dictionary
> Searching

I rarely use the bookmark feature of either device since the readers always remember my current place in a book. The bookmark feature is good if you want to be able to go back to a passage, even after you've finished reading the book. I also make very little use of the dictionary or search features in the Kindle, so I don't miss them when reading with the Sony.

BUT! I'm really a fan of the Kindle's ability to highlight and make notes right in the book. The Kindle snaps the highlighted-text and notes into a text file which can then be transferred to your PC. I find this very handy when gathering quotes for a book review. I also use the annotations for marking edits and needed corrections.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One more point that occurs to me: if you're planning to buy for long-term usage, the fact that the Sony doesn't have a user-replaceable battery may be significant. All the other machines mentioned on this thread do have a user-replaceable battery.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
One word: Cybook!
(just not up to one of your "optionals", searching.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
miztiik
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies, I am leaning more towards Sony now. So which one is better 505 or 700. ( Though Harry's comments on Battery replacement gives an raised eyebrow ).

Question for Kindle Users,Just curious, Can the dictionary in kindle be upgraded to expand the vocab list?

How about the page turn speed and the buttons accessibility in kindle and sony?

For your question from where i am, This device is going to be "Used" in India. But will be buying it in US.( Not too worried about whispernet and EVDO in Kindle, as i dont buy most of my books). Can the EVDO be configured to work in another EVDO service provider?

Last edited by miztiik; 11-11-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
miztiik
Enthusiast

Anybody care to answer the last few question i have on this topic? Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by miztiik View Post
Question for Kindle Users,Just curious, Can the dictionary in kindle be upgraded to expand the vocab list?
No, although it is an extensive american english dictionary. It is possible to replace the dictionary with a DRM-free MOBI dictionary (e.g. Websters 1913), but there are no large commercial DRM-free dictionaries.

Quote:
Can the EVDO be configured to work in another EVDO service provider?
No. I assume Amazon could change providers, but currently it is locked to Sprint.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

By contrast, there are literally hundreds of different Mobipocket dictionaries available for the CyBook, so if dictionaries are important to you (and they are for me), it's a good choice of machine. All the "standard" dictionary providers - Oxford, Collins, Chambers, Websters, etc, do Mobi versions.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Since I own both Kindle and Sony readers, I can comment on those.
Have you ever compared the two for reading in the dark, with a wedge or other light?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
miztiik
Enthusiast

I have finally decided upon a sony 505

Would like your reviews on this one?

->Does this one come along with the cover?
->And do i need to order the charger separately?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
I have finally decided upon a sony 505

Would like your reviews on this one?

->Does this one come along with the cover?
->And do i need to order the charger separately?
I'm sure you'll love it

It comes with a cover.

The only charger it comes with is the USB cable, so if you want to charge it away from your computer then you'll need a seperate charger. Others here have said that there other chargers that work with it, so you might want to search the forum before you order a seperate charger (I only charge mine up when the computer is on, so I've never bothered getting a seperate one).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #13
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
^ The psp charger work well...i've used it to charge mine
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanlin v3, kindle 2.0, sony 505