Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #166
cftall
"Crackers"
cftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheese

Device: cybook 3 tung-e-2 ebookwise 1150
Quite the spirited thread. " Crackers"

Last edited by cftall; 06-18-2008 at 09:43 AM.
cftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #167
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cftall View Post
Quite the spirited thread. " Crackers"
It certainly was!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #168
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
Same in Reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
We have sucessfully installed the Cybook Gen3 firmware on the Netronix EB-100: Flickr.
I have a opposite question.
As far as Cybook was only device that was available on local market @ the end of last year. I was almost forced to choose this one.
I can't say I'm not happy with it, but some inperfections still bother me (bugs, lack of software support).
For more than half year I've no single purchase of Mobi-book. Ive used Mobipocket Generator to create almost all of books I've red but this was done only becuase PDF cannot be reflown and TXT viewer does not support other codepages, and I need CYRILIC.

So about a question - Is it possible to use Netronix Firmware on Cybook if UNICODE is supported in more common format like RTF or FB2 or even pure TXT?
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #169
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlincho View Post
Quote:
We have sucessfully installed the Cybook Gen3 firmware on the Netronix EB-100: Flickr.
I have a opposite question.
As far as Cybook was only device that was available on local market @ the end of last year. I was almost forced to choose this one.
I can't say I'm not happy with it, but some inperfections still bother me (bugs, lack of software support).
For more than half year I've no single purchase of Mobi-book. Ive used Mobipocket Generator to create almost all of books I've red but this was done only becuase PDF cannot be reflown and TXT viewer does not support other codepages, and I need CYRILIC.

So about a question - Is it possible to use Netronix Firmware on Cybook if UNICODE is supported in more common format like RTF or FB2 or even pure TXT?
I suppose it would. However, the Netronix EB-100 (and the EB-600) do not support RTF or FB2. Yep. You have to first turn your HTML, RTF, DOC, PDF, Mobi, eReader and FB2 files *INTO* TXT, then you have to use their (admittedly *QUITE* sucky) STK Maker to create an STK ebook from that TXT file.

This will most likely be quite different for the EB-610 and EB-611 (one of which will be the Astak 6" model) as they run WinCE 5.0 and will probably support using (in the Astak models anyway) either eReader or Mobipocket Reader.

Derek
Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #170
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Harry,

Actually he may have a point, albight in a round-a-bout way, again the problem is with the GPL, whether the boo reader software should be GPL or not is a moot point really, the linux code on the machine is definately GPL'd as such the distributer(s) legally have to provide both the licence and either the source code or an offer to provide the source code, this is where Bookeen have failed. IF you were to sell your CyBook, you would be subject to the same violation, the whole point of the GPL is such that your licence is NOT with Bookeen (for GPL'd software), because they dont hold the right to licence said software. The point being that if you sell your CyBook and the purchaser were to demand the source code to the GPL'd software on the device, according to the GPL its YOU who have to provide it as the person who gave the buyer the compiled code in the first place, therefore its you who would be sued should they so desire to.

Whether you care or not is irrelevant until its tested in court of course ;-)

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #171
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbond1007 View Post
Harry,

Actually he may have a point, albight in a round-a-bout way, again the problem is with the GPL, whether the boo reader software should be GPL or not is a moot point really, the linux code on the machine is definately GPL'd as such the distributer(s) legally have to provide both the licence and either the source code or an offer to provide the source code, this is where Bookeen have failed. IF you were to sell your CyBook, you would be subject to the same violation, the whole point of the GPL is such that your licence is NOT with Bookeen (for GPL'd software), because they dont hold the right to licence said software. The point being that if you sell your CyBook and the purchaser were to demand the source code to the GPL'd software on the device, according to the GPL its YOU who have to provide it as the person who gave the buyer the compiled code in the first place, therefore its you who would be sued should they so desire to.

Whether you care or not is irrelevant until its tested in court of course ;-)

Mark
Somehow I think a case could be made that, as a customer, selling a used Cybook would not require the person to make the source code available. Now if the person were to act as a reseller of Cybooks, I believe the view you're stating would be correct.

Derek
Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #172
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Somehow I think a case could be made that, as a customer, selling a used Cybook would not require the person to make the source code available. Now if the person were to act as a reseller of Cybooks, I believe the view you're stating would be correct.
It does not matter whether you sell single device or act as a reseller: it is the same law that allows suing users for distributing torrents with copyrighted material.

And this is THE nonsense of current copyright laws, and we can't do anything until laws are changed: everyone who distributes/sells copyrighted material can be taken to the court.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #173
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
It does not matter whether you sell single device or act as a reseller: it is the same law that allows suing users for distributing torrents with copyrighted material.

And this is THE nonsense of current copyright laws, and we can't do anything until laws are changed: everyone who distributes/sells copyrighted material can be taken to the court.
Then we need to have 10 million or more customers "sell" their devices and file lawsuits in courts across the world, individually, all within the same time frame, to force the courts to rule that this is a bogus law. And if enough cases get filed in a short frame of time, that's exactly what will happen - especially if each and every manufacturer were named as co-defendents for; A) not making source code directly available in-the-box, B) not working to change this stupid section of the law beforehand.

Derek
Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #174
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you, Tad, that's what I was trying to find out - whether the original poster was redistributing Bookeen's firmware (which would not be legal) or simply providing information about how to install it on other hardware, for people appropriately licensed to do so. If it's the latter, then obviously there's no problem and my concern has been addressed.

I would suggest, however, that before installing the firmware on a different machine, that it would be prudent for people to contact Bookeen and ascertain whether or not their software licence permits them to do so. I have a suspicion (but I may, of course, be incorrect) that it does not.
I've always felt that software licenses have no place on my hardware. I didn't agree to any software license. I dont' feel any such should stand in the way of my full use of my hardware. All too often, the software license is used to restrict my hardware purchase.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #175
zeganasu
zeganasu began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Smile

hello,

this is my first post, I'm Italian, so I speak english a little bit.....

by the way...... I would like to try openinkpot on my Cybook Gen3, but, by this page, I don't understand how to install it

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/NetronixEB600

I'd like to install this to try, so I'd like get openinkpot and official Firmware a same time, is it possible?
zeganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #176
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeganasu View Post
hello,
I'd like to install this to try, so I'd like get openinkpot and official Firmware a same time, is it possible?
It is in "for developers only" state yet, and yes, it is possible to use both at same time.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #177
zeganasu
zeganasu began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Oh, it's ok, I'm waiting for customer version
zeganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #178
grucha44
grucha44 doesn't littergrucha44 doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Is it possible to install firmware from Pocketbook on Cybook ?

I reads PDF, RTF, FB2, TXT, HTML, DJVU, CHM, PRC, EPUB and has games, clock, etc.

http://pocketbook.com.ua/index.php?id=203
grucha44 is offline   Reply With Quote