Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #31
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm actually giving the last stable version of CM 10.1 a go now. I don't know why I always end up doing these things before road trips.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #32
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I look forward to hearing how CM 10.1 works for you. So far I am happy with stock...which is why I am interested in how this works out. Its always good to try something new...unless its not...but it probably is.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #33
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
FWIW, for those who use WiFi hotspots outside the home locations -- CM10.2 recent/current builds have a "WiFi re-scan" bug: the device does not re-scan for new available networks when at a different location; to trigger a re-scan, reboot the device.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
to trigger a re-scan, reboot the device.
Boy, that's convenient!

That's why I stick to 10.1. I haven't come across any bugs with the latest version.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #35
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Boy, that's convenient!

That's why I stick to 10.1. I haven't come across any bugs with the latest version.
You might want to check, as the bug might have come in at the later releases of 10.1
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #36
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
We have one HD+ in the house. It is extremely nice. If you don't need the Amazon App store, then I see no need to modify it. You can, of course, install an alternate launcher. We use ADW on ours. It gives a nice alternate home screen. You can switch back and forth instantly.
I bought one.. HD+ $149. great price.. .. rated very high.. great screen resolution. I use the Go Launcher.. great for Books, Magazines.. Not bad for surfing internet stuff as well.. you can't go wrong.. buy one when you can.. Barnes and Noble will be out of them soon.. then we will see what there next device is.. it will be higher priced for sure.. but the current HD and HD+ are GOOD.. very GOOD.. just my Three Cents..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
I've had CM10.1 installed on my HD+ for over a month now and have had no problems whatsoever. A long time ago I tried it on an SD card and had problems. But, it's come a long way since then. They've worked out all the bugs in it.
Hey kevinp, you were a big help to me last January when I was trying it on an sd card also for my HD. I finally gave up, having way too many reboot loops on it, and bought the n2a download. It worked very well for a long time and recently has been in constant reboot mode as well. Just today I re-imaged the sd card and will see how it goes.

BUT, in the meantime, the $149 price tag for the HD+ was too much to pass up and I bought one. haven't done anything to modify it yet and I hate the stock Nook look. Can you point me to how you put CM10.1 on the internal memory for yours? My HD definitely is slow booting up from the card.
Thanks!
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #38
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sometime around July (I think) is when they came out with a new stable version of CM10.1. That's when I installed it on the internal memory of my HD+. I've had no rebooting problems or anything. About the only problem I had was that I couldn't install the Nook app directly from the Google Play store. I had to download the APK and install it myself.

Anyway, I believe this is what I followed. Just make sure you download the latest version and make sure it's CM10.1 and not CM10.2.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #39
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
With Google enabled, don't forget that you can install an alternative launcher and get a great device while still in stock. I tried CM 10.x about a month ago and for me it didn't add anything, but of course that may be different for others. I do feel that many that ask for alternative OS actually just want another launcher. I use ADW but there are several good ones around.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
FWIW, for those who use WiFi hotspots outside the home locations -- CM10.2 recent/current builds have a "WiFi re-scan" bug: the device does not re-scan for new available networks when at a different location; to trigger a re-scan, reboot the device.
I've actually seen this happen on my Nexus 4 (on the stock ROM), but it only requires toggling airplane mode on and off.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #41
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
With Google enabled, don't forget that you can install an alternative launcher and get a great device while still in stock. I tried CM 10.x about a month ago and for me it didn't add anything, but of course that may be different for others. I do feel that many that ask for alternative OS actually just want another launcher. I use ADW but there are several good ones around.
You're right. When I was on the stock ROM, I installed the Zeam launcher and it made my HD+ so much nicer and easier to work with. The stock ROM probably is fine for most people, especially since it now has Google Play. But there were little Android differences that I missed, such as the back button and app switcher button on the bottom of the screen, and being able to get to all the system settings--not just the few that B&N allows.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #42
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I've actually seen this happen on my Nexus 4 (on the stock ROM), but it only requires toggling airplane mode on and off.
Thanks for the tip, the toggling airplane-mode trick amazingly also works for the HD+ and NT running CM10.2.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #43
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've been using CM 10.1 for a few days on the road, and I stillcan'tsay with any conviction that it's superior to stock. It's better looking, but it still seems less stable. I haven't had reboots, but I've had plenty of app crashing, especially Chrome. The multitasking interface is the most significant advantage for CM, but in practice having ADW Ex app catalogs in my dockbar on stock worked just as well. I like that the buttons, quick settings and notifications are less kitschy, but again, the kitschy stock stuff got the job done.

Stock has its shortcomings, too, but all in all the two systems break even for my purposes, making stock less trouble by default.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #44
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Thanks Kevin, my card should be in the mail today so hopefully I will get to it this week. So far my newly re-imaged n2a card is working much better for the HD, but I think I'd prefer just doing the HD+ in internal memory if it's as stable as it has been for you. Love these little tablets!
Karen
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
The stock ROM probably is fine for most people, especially since it now has Google Play. But there were little Android differences that I missed, such as the back button and app switcher button on the bottom of the screen, and being able to get to all the system settings--not just the few that B&N allows.
Kevin, that must be for the older stock firmware. The newer stock firmware versions since Google Play was added all have the back button, recent drawer, and easy access to all system settings via the notification center.

Since I bought my HD in May after Google Play was added, I am not familiar with the older firmware, but it appears current versions are a big improvement over it.

Really, I saw no need to put a different ROM on my HD. (I did root stock, however, and also added the mods to enable sideloading.) I find the GUI design very customizable and user-friendly. I also didn't want to risk the spontaneous reboots that some using different ROMs have had issues with.

I read that the HD+ can get hot in one corner and that a new ROM can alleviate that. I bought an HD+ but it hasn't arrived yet. If mine has the heat issue, then I might try CM 10.1 on it. But I'd prefer to keep stock.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote