Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
How do I borrow a library ebook?

Sometime ago, I signed up for a nearby county's library ebook lending. (I'm in the UK.)
For the first time, I'm actually considering using this, but I don't know how to do it. On the card I was sent, there is the web address of the library. I googled this and found the site.

Under the ebooks section, it says: "Borrow from our e-book and e-audio collection".
Underneath this are three 'buttons' labelled: Overdrive; Askews; Bloomsbury

I'm confused. Which of these am I suppose to click? What will happen next?

I've watched a couple of youtube vids which state that I need ADE in order to borrow ebooks from the library. I hate ADE. When I've had it on my pc before, it's totally messed up my ebooks.

An encouraging word from an old hand at this would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
There will probably be a 'getting started' button somewhere on the home page. Or if you tell us which library service you are using, it will be easier to help and advise: I did look at Birmingham City Council's Digital Library, but you said 'a nearby county'.

I know that I get library ebooks using Adobe digital editions and that's likely to be what you need for a Sony 505.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I too had a wee search online but like Witty Username already says, you need to be more specific about which library it is you are registered on (if it's not Birmingham).

In the meantime, from the mention of Bloomsbury I searched and ended up at the "ebooks from Birmingham libraries" page (http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/ebooks), which then provides a link to the actual online library (most use Overdrive) and that link is:

birmingham-uk.lib.overdrive.com

If you click the 'Sign In' link at the top of that page, you should then be able to log in with your library card number. If it's not the right library, you won't be able to log in anyway!

The basics for the use of any online library are that you need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions to get library books, there is no way round this (unless you have one of the newer e-readers like the T1/T2 which allow you to do it directly via the e-reader). I have it installed on my PC and ONLY use it for library books and nothing else, my own collection of ebooks is managed with Calibre.

Once you've installed and set up ADE, when you checkout the library book from the website, it will download an .acsm file onto your computer (yourbooktitle.acsm) and you simply click on that and it will open up in ADE. I then just close ADE and open up the folder it stores your books in (which is normally My Documents > My Digital Editions) and find the .epub of the book I've just downloaded. Then just copy it across onto my ereader and I've got 7 or 14 days to read it before it expires.

You can choose to return it before the period expires by opening up ADE again, and clicking on the arrow on the book cover and choose the option to return. I also delete the expired books here, so I've only ever got one or two books in ADE at any one time.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-10-2013 at 10:34 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ADE really shouldn't mess anything up. I use it a lot, on various different PCs, and have had no problems at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
BookCat, since you have a Sony ereader, you could open book downloads from your library with the Sony computer software and transfer the books to your 505 that way. Then you don't need to use the Adobe Digital Editions software to manage your books. That's what I do.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
BookCat, since you have a Sony ereader, you could open book downloads from your library with the Sony computer software and transfer the books to your 505 that way. Then you don't need to use the Adobe Digital Editions software to manage your books. That's what I do.
As said in post#3 direct downloads only work with the newer (T1/T2) ereaders. The 505 will need ADE.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My response was not in regards to direct downloads. I recommended to use the Sony desktop software which is installed on your computer. It works just fine with the older models such as the 505 or x50. Like I said, that's what I do.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Witty Username
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My response was not in regards to direct downloads. I recommended to use the Sony desktop software which is installed on your computer. It works just fine with the older models such as the 505 or x50. Like I said, that's what I do.
I think that the libraries in UK use a different system to the USA. My Sony PRS-650 will not accept ebooks from the public library unless it is downloaded via ADE. The Sony desktop software is not compatible.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Some UK libraries do use Overdrive systems just like the US. It doesn't hurt to try it.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Sony desktop software is based on ADE. You just "open" the .acsm file with the Sony software instead of ADE and books will download into the Sony software just fine instead. It works this way for all sites that use Adobe DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, ignore the bit of my post that says you need to install ADE! I've never installed the Sony desktop software, so wasn't aware it copied what ADE does.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The library which I have a card for is Alcester library in Warwickshire.

Book_Worm Girl, will this work with a very old version of the Sony software: 2.5? I use this older version because it's so much easier to understand than the up-to-date one. I'm not sure that the old version is ADE based.

I managed to peruse the help section etc of the library only to discover that all the books are epub, which doesn't look great on the 505. I normally convert to lrf using Calibre, but I don't suppose I'd be able to do this with a library book.

I'm considering purchasing a new epub based ereader. Perhaps I'll leave library-borrowing until I have my new one, if I can decide upon which to buy. There's a shortage of the type I like:buttons rather than touch. But that's another topic.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by BookCat; 02-19-2013 at 02:02 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I think it was version 3.0 and later that incorporated ADE support when Sony transitioned to EPUB as their preferred format. When I used version 2.5, I think that I used to borrow PDFs from the library and transferred them to my 505 using ADE software. The latest version 3.3 is still available on the Sony US website for download. That's the version that I use with the 505 that I still have. What a great and reliable reader the 505 was! Or maybe it's just best to wait until you decide what new reader to buy. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Feeling The Pain
Feeling The Pain began at the beginning.

Device: mini
Frustration

Wife in tears. First experiences with Kobo far from enjoyable. Successfully downloading library books seems to only happen by luck or blind perseverence. Books lost in the between spaces or "Oops" messages appear.

Definitely not plug n play, nor click and drag.

Our grandkids will laugh at us 20 years from now when we describe how complex e-readers used to be. Like trying to explain incandescent light bulbs.
Feeling The Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

It'd probably be a good idea to have a sticky thread in each devices forum with a guide on how to borrow library books. It's not always the most straight forward process, especially for someone new to e-reading.

Tags
borrowing, library books, overdrive