Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What do you recommend

I like Terry Goodkind and the wheel of time series and I do not like the series called A song of Fire and Ice.

Last edited by jbcohen; 10-09-2012 at 08:50 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
**Joke no longer applicable**

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I like Terry Goodkind and the wheel of time series and I do not like the series called A song of Fire and Ice.
Give the Drenai Saga by David Gemmell a go. Very good.

1. Legend (1984)
2. The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
3. Waylander (1986)
4. Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
5. In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
6. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
7. The Legend of Deathwalker: Chronicles of Druss the Axeman (1996)
8. Winter Warriors (1997)
9. Hero in the Shadows (2000)
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I just read The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and I thought it was awesome. Though it does have the gritty feel and violence similar to Game of Thrones, so if you don't like that series for those reasons, be warned.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The Scott Lynch books look like a definite maybe. Any other suggestions?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Have you taken a look at this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187317

A lot of good recommendations.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I have about the same opinions as you on the ones you mentioned, so here are some that I have enjoyed:
  • Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson (The Stormlight Archive is looking like it will be very good too, but with only one book published out of 10, it is hard to recommend at this point. At least he is "done" with the Jordan books now, so maybe he will work on it again.)
  • The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist. Although this universe has about 30 books, just reading the first, Magician (or split into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master) is enough to get an idea and is a mostly complete story arc on its own. There are also several sub-series that comprise their own complete arcs.
  • Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson - this one is a bit grittier than the others. I have only read the first of this series, but many people really recommend it. I enjoyed the first book, but haven't found the time to work on #2. Too many other things to read.
  • David Eddings - either the Belgariad or the Elenium and then the follow-up series to either one.
  • RA Salvatore - Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies are ones that I keep coming back to, possibly just because I grew up with them, beyond those I lose interest
  • Robin Hobbs - Farseer books
  • Ursula LeGuin - Wizard of Earthsea books. I love the first 3 especially.
  • LE Modesitt - The Recluce series, I love the first one the others are hit and miss, but overall are good.
  • Patrick Rothfuss - The Kingkiller Chronicles (not complete yet, but the first book is very good, the second a little less so, but big expectations for the last)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Odd how the Katheryn Kurtz Deryni saga gets neglected.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have to agree with The Recluce Series and add The Vlad Taltos Khaavren Romances by Steven Brust.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Halfway Home by Hugh Howey and the latest Grantville; 1635: The Papal Stakes, one of the best in this series in a long time.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Considering what you said you liked & didn't like how 'bout one of my all-time favorite large fantasy trilogies: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.

First book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dragonbone...mm_kin_title_0 (kindle format for ya since I see that's your current device)

There are some pretty deliberately obvious stereotypes here that get toyed around with by the author and just some really interesting characters, dialogue and world building. Good stuff - all available in ebook form.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Considering what you said you liked & didn't like how 'bout one of my all-time favorite large fantasy trilogies: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.

First book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dragonbone...mm_kin_title_0 (kindle format for ya since I see that's your current device)

There are some pretty deliberately obvious stereotypes here that get toyed around with by the author and just some really interesting characters, dialogue and world building. Good stuff - all available in ebook form.
I've read that and I liked Tad's Otherland series better. I've yet to read the Shadowmarch series.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read that and I liked Tad's Otherland series better. I've yet to read the Shadowmarch series.
Similar for me. I'd say I like Otherland about equally as well, for clearly different genres. Haven't read Shadowmarch yet. Every time I read summaries and reviews of that series it just doesn't pull me in.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Similar for me. I'd say I like Otherland about equally as well, for clearly different genres. Haven't read Shadowmarch yet. Every time I read summaries and reviews of that series it just doesn't pull me in.
Given that I like both of Tad's two other big series, I am going to give Shadowmarch a go. I might wait until sometime in January 2013 to start it though.