Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #76
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
It should, of course, be optional -- and consistent, no mixing. Often, in the past, I have had the impression that Sigil is abstracting extended characters somehow, which helped make regex unstable.

I prefer the named entities, myself -- I like to easily distinguish between ' and ‘/’, for instance, or hyphen-–-—, •-·, etc. Of course, there are characters, but visually difficult. Regex is no more difficult for these than for characters; don't have to open Character Map or type ALT-NUMPAD codes, so it might be easier.

I guess my take is that, for me, if it's not on the keyboard, it should be an entity. And there are even a few on the keyboard that make life easier for me. (>, <, ', ˜, & # 96 ; ,[forum is eating the numeric entity for the grave accent (backtick)! which has no named entity, sadly], etc.)

This comes in large part from dealing with badly-formed source files, and slowly working via regex to get them consistent throughout. The named entities are emphatically expressive of content, not leaving it up to visual interpretation on my part.

Also, generally, the ereaders have a method of expressing most entities -- but the characters are more problematic, leading to ugly replacements or errors.

My 2 ¢

Aloha,

Last edited by capidamonte; 06-16-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: grave accent eaten by forum
Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Regex is no more difficult for these than for characters; don't have to open Character Map or type ALT-NUMPAD codes, so it might be easier.
It's possible you misunderstand me when it comes to "making my regex more difficult." Mainly, I mean that I already have quite an extensive personal collection of specific regexps that I don't want to have to overhaul. And besides my fingers have the ALT-NUMPAD codes down cold. Second nature. I want to use them.

I also use a lot of the unicode regex classes: \p{P} doesn't know what html entities are and won't match them. Neither will \p{Pd} or my favorite... \p{Po}. My custom tailored regexps are polluted with unicode classes like that.

I guess I don't understand why this even has to be an issue. People should be able to make their own decision with regard to entity vs character. That's the way 0.5.3 works for me: if I enter the mdash entity it stays an entity... if I enter the mdash character it stays a character. Beautiful.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-16-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #78
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
More or less agreed, pal. I have a full set, myself. I could probably stand to learn more unicode regex, honestly.

I think I jumped in here because I'm always afraid that things are going to go away that I use. I find that a lot of folks prefer to think about stuff that I prefer to just perceive, like named entities. I suspect that you perceive the characters themselves more clearly than I do.

Back to regularly scheduled discussion.

Aloha,
Old 06-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #79
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In regard to entities. Sigil has since the 0.4 series replaced em, en, and shy with entities. All other entities would be replaced with unicode characters due to how BV worked. Now the only automatic replacement is em, en and shy. Everything else is now left as is.

The above three entities were chosen for replacement for key reasons. em and en look so similar that it makes it easier to differentiate. shy, well you can't see it so you don't know if it's there or not.

Also, a new beta will be available once I get the unicode filename saving ironed out. Minizip is not very easy to understand.

Last edited by user_none; 06-16-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #80
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is it just me, or did 0.5.901 just silently replace all of my em-dash characters with its html-entity equivalent?

EDIT: Yes... yes, it surely did.
I've been using this patch for some time now:
Code:
--- sigil-0.5.0/src/Sigil/ResourceObjects/HTMLResource.cpp.orig	2012-02-02 04:00:34.000000000 +0200
+++ sigil-0.5.0/src/Sigil/ResourceObjects/HTMLResource.cpp	2012-02-02 06:43:11.293174051 +0200
@@ -473,8 +473,8 @@
     QString newsource = source;

newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\u00ad" ), "­" );
-    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\u2014" ), "—" );
-    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\u2013" ), "–" );
+    newsource = newsource.replace( "—", QString::fromUtf8( "\u2014" ) );
+    newsource = newsource.replace( "–", QString::fromUtf8( "\u2013" ) );

return newsource;
 }
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #81
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I had created an issue (316) which is now reported as "fixed", but maybe it can be reopened.

In any case,   is also something you probably want as an entity.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #82
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
In regard to entities. Sigil has since the 0.4 series replaced em, en, and shy with entities. All other entities would be replaced with unicode characters due to how BV worked.
I don't quite understand... in a stock 0.5.3 binary install (Windows and Linux), my EMs don't get replaced at all. Entity stays entity, character stays character.

Either way, I still think entity vs character should ultimately be an end user decision. Just two cents worth of whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir
I've been using this patch for some time now:
Thanks for the patch, Ahmed! That still looks applicable to the beta code. I'll play with that a bit.
EDIT: Works a treat! I chose to leave the source "as is" with the exception of the shy, zwsp, zwnj, zwj, and thinsp characters. I make sure those are all converted to some sort of visible entity

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-17-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #83
Zeypxi
Zeypxi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello user_none and meme, do you think that something can be done for the spell checking problem in French for 0.6 version? Indeed if one uses ' (straight apostrophes), spell check works properly but as soon as one uses (curly apostrophes), spell check makes false positive errors. Cheers.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #84
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Either way, I still think entity vs character should ultimately be an end user decision. Just two cents worth of whatever.
+1

IMHO, entities for otherwise invisible characters are fine, but mandatory entities for dashes are not, since those who use em dashes and en dashes usually can tell them apart from each other and hyphens.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #85
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Sigil 4.0 beta

I have now tried 4.0 beta now on three machines running Win 7. This version does not load HTML files. The OS reports that the program has failed.

Has anyone else tried Win 7? Have I done something dumb.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #86
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I have now tried 4.0 beta now on three machines running Win 7. This version does not load HTML files. The OS reports that the program has failed.

Has anyone else tried Win 7? Have I done something dumb.
When you say load HTML files - how are you loading them - Open, Add Existing, drag and drop, etc.?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #87
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeypxi View Post
Hello user_none and meme, do you think that something can be done for the spell checking problem in French for 0.6 version? Indeed if one uses ' (straight apostrophes), spell check works properly but as soon as one uses (curly apostrophes), spell check makes false positive errors. Cheers.
Not in 0.6.0. There is a ticket open about handling word boundaries for non-English languages. Its something that I want to look into for a future version since we re-wrote the spell check code, but I would need a clear list of items for various languages - French, German, Spanish in particular. I also need to take a closer look at the English parsing - so if anyone is using the spell check and you see it picking up words it shouldn't because of word boundary issues let me know. (I know there are a few oddities with upper/lower case and apostrophes that need to be looked at eventually).
Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #88
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
When you say load HTML files - how are you loading them - Open, Add Existing, drag and drop, etc.?
All of the above.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #89
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The beta works fine on x32 XP machines. Were your Windows 7 machines all 64 bit systems?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #90
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The beta works fine on x32 XP machines. Were your Windows 7 machines all 64 bit systems?
64 bit
Closed Thread