Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Problem/Suggestion on Bulk Numbering Series Like

I am changing how I number some sets of books in a Series-like custom column.

I thought that maybe calibre would support decimal numbering, but it seems only to use integer numbering there (at least for the starting number).

So my suggestion would be for calibre to allow a decimal starting number, then to number the book using the smallest increment based on that number.

So if you put in a starting number of 5, it would number them 6, 7, 8, etc. as it does now.

But if you were to put in 5.1, it would number them 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 etc. Or if you put in 5.01, it would number 5.02, 5.03, etc.

Just a thought.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You might want to take a look at the Manage Series plugin, it helps with stuff like this.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't seem to accept decimal values.

I can't input 1.01 as the starting number.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
It doesn't seem to accept decimal values.

I can't input 1.01 as the starting number.
I just put in 1.01 as a number in the series field and it worked fine. I create a series title that didn't exist.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just click on the right arrow a couple of times (down the bottom right of the screen)
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru

Hmm, I tried to type in 1.01 and it appeared as 101.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Hmm, I tried to type in 1.01 and it appeared as 101.
@Pinecone
You are correct . Bulk Metadata edit (on XP) does not appear to allow fractional numbers

There is a tweak for Series Auto Numbering that will accept fractional numbers, but rare is the usage that you would have that as default.

Use the Manage Series PI, it allows both
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru

I tried the Manage Series Plug In, and it did the same thing 1.01 ended up at 101.

I will have to try some more.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
kiwidude

@Pinecone - just follow the instructions I have you above. Click the right arrow button (just above Cancel in the lower right) on the Manage Series dialog a couple of times, and the value will be come 1.01 for the selected book. You can't type it into the "Start At" box because that is necessarily limited to integers.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Pinecone
Guru

Once I was in front of Calibre, I was able to make the plug in work.

But wouldn't it be easier to just allow you to put 10.01 in the start number?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
kiwidude

This is the first time this request has ever come up. When I find the time at home I will take a look at it as an enhancement.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
kiwidude

On second thoughts (after a quick look at the code) I am unlikely to change it as it creates too many issues. There are too many permutations to deal with when it comes to attempting to preserve existing "depth" of series numbering.

Since it is a niche requirement, and you have the ability to apply the numbering you want using the arrow buttons that is as good as it is going to get for now.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Pinecone
Guru

NP

Thanks. It seemed like a quicker way to the end. If you put in a x.1, it would number incrementing by 0.1. If you put in x.01, it would increment my 0.01.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
kiwidude

If all you ever did with the plugin was assign series values by completely ignoring whatever existing values the series had, then yes it could do that.

However it does attempt to preserve whatever existing numbering strategy the series has. So if I have books in a series of 1, 1.5, 2 and being them up in the plugin, the default behaviour is to keep them as 1, 1.5, 2. Were you to type "2" as the start number, the books will become 2, 2.5, 3 - not 2, 3, 4.

That is only possible thanks to some complex logic which all goes to pot if the user were allowed to type 1.1 or 1.01. Or if the existing series numbering started at 0.5 for instance. Too much effort for the sake of a mouse click on your part
Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Pinecone
Guru

I like saving mouse clicks. They are valuable.

Thanks for the explanation. I see now.