Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #511
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Re-listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first time around.
I listened to this one last year, liked it a lot. This is definitely something I'll listen to again, but right now, my pile of books to listen to has somehow exploded these last three months.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #512
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Finished listening to The List by J. A. Konrath last night. I found the audiobook at Amazon for only $1.99 and what a bargain it was! It has all the typical aspects of a good thriller and the bonus to me was the wonderfully likeable characters (their interaction with each other leads to some great humor).

It's just the right length -- not too long, not too short, so if you're looking for something light and funny with an interesting plot, you may want to give this one a try.

Next up...I'm about to find out all about Mr. Penumbra and his bookstore, then I may go back to Konrath and try his alcoholic (Jack Daniels) series.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #513
fancybee
fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I love to listen to the lords of the rings every night before going to sleep
fancybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #514
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just started Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets narrated by Jim Dale.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #515
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I enjoyed the Jim Dale versions of the Harry Potter books, but if you have a choice, the Steven Fry versions are even better, IMO. Unfortunately, they aren't available in the US, apparently. One of the few times it is better to be a Canadian. If you have a Canadian or UK friend, however, you might be able to work something out.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #516
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I agree with CRussel; if you can get your hands on the Stephen Fry versions, they are absolutely superb.

I am reading the ebook of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for a change , but I have listened to it many times.

At the moment, I am still listening to 11/22/63 by Stephen King and liking it a lot. I am also listening to A Universe From Nothing by Lawrence Krauss (in my bedroom), but while the subject is fascinating, it might not have been the best choice for a bedtime book (you know, you might fall asleep ). This one is read by the author himself, and while he is serviceable, I think a professional reader would have done the book some good.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #517
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm about halfway through An Inquiry into Love and Death. I had my doubts about Rosalyn Landor's narration, but she really is a good fit for the book.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #518
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I suppose that you can buy the Harry Potter audiobooks on Pottermore and gift them, saying the receiver lives in GB. I haven't tried it myself, but it might work. I've listened to the Jim Dale versions a number of times, but have never listened to the Fry version. Jim Dale is very good. I do wonder if this might be a case of the first version that you listen to is the "right" version and the other version sounds off.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #519
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I listening to the Complet Enchanter (that's not a typo by the way) by Pratt and de Camp right now. It's one of my favorite books. The reader is Ray Chase. He is a reader rather than a voice actor, i.e. he doesn't use different voices for different characters, he just reads the book.

It's been a while since I listened to a audiobook with this style of reading. It's ok. The story line is good enough to hold my attention. I would prefer a really good voice actor, but on the other hand, I've had other favorite books that were ruined for me by a bad voice actor.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #520
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I suppose that you can buy the Harry Potter audiobooks on Pottermore and gift them, saying the receiver lives in GB. I haven't tried it myself, but it might work. I've listened to the Jim Dale versions a number of times, but have never listened to the Fry version. Jim Dale is very good. I do wonder if this might be a case of the first version that you listen to is the "right" version and the other version sounds off.
Mileage varies, like always. For me Stephen Fry is the best narrator out there, not only for Harry Potter. I wish he would do more audiobooks. He reads his own stuff, of course, and his version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is great as well.

I have watched Jim Dale reading from the Potter books on Youtube, and while I enjoyed it, it's just not the same (for me).
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #521
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If that were the case, I would prefer the Jim Dale versions, since those were the first I listened to. Don't get me wrong, I think the Dale versions are excellent. But I think the Steven Fry versions are even better. And they have the virtue of the language not having been "Americanized".
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #522
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm still sticking with Cherryh's Foreigner series, but the third book certainly had a slow start. Things picked up at the dinner party, but it took me ages to get there with a lot of nodding off, wool gathering, and having to backtrack only to find nothing much happened. I might take a break after this volume.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #523
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Listening to the first Lord Darcy books by Randell Garrett. These books are classics (basically a series of short stories in which magic works). The reader is quite good as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #524
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'm listening to a Librivox recording of A Study In Scarlet by A. Conan Doyle. the reader is Laurie Anne Walden. It's quite nicely done and I'm enjoying it so far.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #525
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
I'm listening to Robin Hobb's Dragon Haven - book 2 of The Rain Wild Chronicles - and will read book 3 immediately after.

The stories are wonderful but annoyingly the books in the series have different narrators and it is very jarring.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations