Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: WHAT DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT *THIS* YEAR?
Kindle 230 35.49%
Sony 210 32.41%
Nook 77 11.88%
Kobo 70 10.80%
Backlit LED (incl iPad) 108 16.67%
Other 104 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #76
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
This is how you "get it right." You do actual market research. And then charge $500 for the full report.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...76101cbaf5.701

Readership rates:
Laptops: 35%
Kindle: 32%
iPhone: 15%
Sony: 12%
Netbooks: 10%
Nook: 9%
iPad: 9%
Other smartphones: 8%

50% of ebooks are currently bought from Amazon.

This includes multiple device use (hence the total is above 100%), and as best I can determine is US-only.

Forrester believes 7% of the US public reads ebooks, and believes this will double next year.

If you actually want to pony up for the full report, here ya go: http://www.forrester.com/rb/Research...q/id/57664/t/2
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #77
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Why did you select you ereader?

Chose mine becuase of the price, I simply wanted to spend no more than $100 and Aluratek is willing to sell at that price. I think that the Sony PRS and the Kindle are better products then the Aluratek but I simply don't want to pay that price. You get what you pay for.
You keep saying this, all over MobileRead.

Seriously, $39 is a deal breaker for the superior device, and customer service?

Did you pay tax or shipping? Chance are you wouldn't have with Amazon.

Now.......I do not care which device anyone has, however, your constant harpings about Amazons $39 difference, that being the only reason you didn't buy it, is getting tiresome.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #78
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I got my Kindle last year, and didn't buy a reader this year, so I didn't vote.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #79
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
I got my Kindle last year, and didn't buy a reader this year, so I didn't vote.
I bought two Kindle DX's this year but could only vote for one. Can you vote for my second? (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #80
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I got my Sony in February!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #81
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
This is how you "get it right." You do actual market research. And then charge $500 for the full report.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...76101cbaf5.701

Readership rates:
Laptops: 35%
Kindle: 32%
iPhone: 15%
Sony: 12%
Netbooks: 10%
Nook: 9%
iPad: 9%
Other smartphones: 8%

50% of ebooks are currently bought from Amazon.

This includes multiple device use (hence the total is above 100%), and as best I can determine is US-only.

Forrester believes 7% of the US public reads ebooks, and believes this will double next year.

If you actually want to pony up for the full report, here ya go: http://www.forrester.com/rb/Research...q/id/57664/t/2
The figures which stick in my mind are the sum of Netbooks and Laptops: 45% AND Kindle plus Nook: 41%

This implies that even with all the nifty new e-reading devices out on the market the idea of reading on your computer is holding its own. I am considering going this 'plurality' route this year myself, for a new device, maybe one of the new Macbook Airs.

Well, something for me to ponder further I suppose.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #82
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what's up with the laptop thing. However this is not the first time I've heard that laptops are the most popular way to read ebooks.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #83
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure what's up with the laptop thing. However this is not the first time I've heard that laptops are the most popular way to read ebooks.
The larger screen is definitely a plus along with more processing power (usually).
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #84
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***this is not the first time I've heard that laptops are the most popular way to read ebooks***

Might also partly account for the huge slice of the download format pie taken by PDF, Kali. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #85
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is also probably because many folks travel with their laptops and so that is what they have gotten used to reading with. I would guess that many of the laptop/netbook readers will become tablet readers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #86
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
hasn't there been a similar poll here in the past? It would be fun to see if the results are basically the same, which as I recall, were the Sony was more popular and the Kindle was an eyelash behind. I also seem to recall it seems the reason, then, the Sony had been around longer and MR is one of the few sites where owners of all ereaders collect together.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #87
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

Yeah, my current theory is they're probably just asking "what device have you used," rather than "how much time / how many books do you read on device X." So maybe 1/3 of the people surveyed have a Kindle, 1/4 have a Sony, another 1/10 has an iPad -- but all of the above have a laptop and have read something on it.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #88
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***It is also probably because many folks travel with their laptops and so that is what they have gotten used to reading with. I would guess that many of the laptop/netbook readers will become tablet readers***

You make a good point, ProfCrash. Folks on the move are attracted to a single device that does it all rather than a bag full of function-dedicated gadgets.

I guess I'm -- like many here -- someone who uses a reader as an escape route from perpetual communication. I don't want connectivity. When I turn on my wee Sony, I want nothing at all but words on a page and no distractions after maybe fourteen hours on-line work 7x7.

It's all a matter of horses for courses. The great beauty of being around today is that we now have choices. Part of the fun of being here at MR is asking and learning about how other people opt.

Very best. Neil
Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #89
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I think we are talking about 2 different types of readers: Laptop readers probably read no more than 2 or 3 books in a year; Kindle, Nook, Sony, and other dedicated device readers probably read more than 12 (and probably a lot more than 12) books in a year.

It also may be a difference in the types of books read, not just the quantity.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #90
neilmarr
neilmarr

Interesting to read so many posts at MR, Rhadin, from folks who find their recreational reading has significantly increased since they got their hards on an ebook-dedicated device.

Maybe it's because so much can be read in those odd few minutes of standing or sitting around at rail stations, doctors' waiting rooms, even checkout lines at the supermarket rather than wasted.

For me (I've been housebound for some years), the undoubted increase in my recreational reading is mostly down to the ease of reading in bed after a hard day's slog at the desk. I didn't realise, until I got a reader a couple of years ago, just how darned awkward and uncomfortable a paperback or, especially, a hard back can be to handle when you're lying down.

Cheers. Neil