Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Why the authors at Smashwords doesn't pay closer attention to the things they upload is beyond me. It doesn't leave a good impression when you end up with erroneous meta-data.
So many of the books I've downloaded from Smashwords look so bad formatting wise the messed up meta-data is just one more problem.

The ability to upload a word doc and have it available in a bunch of formats automatically is a nice option, but it'd be nice if they'd allow other options for authors/publishers who want to take the time to nicely format a book and upload it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So many of the books I've downloaded from Smashwords look so bad formatting wise the messed up meta-data is just one more problem.
Kind of sad though one would think that an author would take pride in a nice formatting at least something that's proof read, or perhaps this is where the publishers usually comes in.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #18
appasgirl
appasgirl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hi all

wow everyone here is so nice and friendly, thank you :-)

So let me see if I get this right. Import the book into Calibre, edit meta information (change the title and author field) then push to device? or do I save it and then drag and drop to my kindle?

again, thank you
appasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by appasgirl View Post
then push to device? or do I save it and then drag and drop to my kindle?
Either one will work, whichever you prefer. Calibre can be a good way to keep your books organized.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
appasgirl
appasgirl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
it worked! yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
appasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #21
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Excellent appasgirl, great to see you working out what you need and that you are happy. Wonderful!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #22
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Why the authors at Smashwords doesn't pay closer attention to the things they upload is beyond me. It doesn't leave a good impression when you end up with erroneous meta-data.
Hiya. In answer to you question, the chances are that it's not actually the author's fault (speaking as a Smashwords author myself). You see, smashwords publishes a formatting guide, which the author has to follow as closesly as possible; after that, it goes through an automated process which checks the manuscript for errors. If no errors are reported, then the author no doubt feels entitled to think that the manuscript is fine - and in most cases, it is. So the problem is definitely one regarding the vetting/conversion software that Smashwords uses.

However, I'm aware of this metadata problem concerning Kindle's .mobi format, and have been looking into it. Obviously, it can be solved by using Calibre, but I'd prefer it if my ebook could simply be dropped into a device without any hassles. I think I may have found a neat solution to it - however, it's far too early to make any promises, but I will certainly let people know should it work.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J_Lath View Post
Hiya. In answer to you question, the chances are that it's not actually the author's fault (speaking as a Smashwords author myself). You see, smashwords publishes a formatting guide, which the author has to follow as closesly as possible; after that, it goes through an automated process which checks the manuscript for errors. If no errors are reported, then the author no doubt feels entitled to think that the manuscript is fine - and in most cases, it is. So the problem is definitely one regarding the vetting/conversion software that Smashwords uses.
If this is related to Smashwords own software they're shooting themselves in the foot. This is sad because it's the author that gets affected in the end.

If this is related to .mobi and Kindle I would download the book after it has been uploaded and check it in KindleForPC for any problems. If you thereafter can confirm that Smashwords software isn't doing the job I would make a complaint and ask them to get it fixed.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #24
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
^^Well, I've checked my Smashwords .mobi version via Calibre, and it's ... not great. I've already contacted Smashwords about it and trust me - they're taking it very seriously. In the meantime, I'm looking at doing a standalone version of my book via Amazon, using their DTP software. That way, I can be pretty sure of getting a fairly decent .mobi version.

I can, however, vouch for the Smashword epub format - my ebook converted quite nicely onto it.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.mobi, ebook format, kindle 2.0