Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Paperwhite now (might) comes with 4GB of storage

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/15/a...white-storage/

According to Engadget, the new Paperwhite has been updated with 4GB of storage vs the original 2GB.

Last edited by Outrager; 08-22-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yep. That has been discussed here on MR for a few weeks now.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Not mine...

I just bought a new Paperwhite (delivered last week), and it's telling me it has a capacity of 1.32 Gb so they appear to still be shipping the 2Gb version as of last week. (My serial number starts with 90D4.) I'm in the United States.
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
I just bought a new Paperwhite (delivered last week), and it's telling me it has a capacity of 1.32 Gb so they appear to still be shipping the 2Gb version as of last week. (My serial number starts with 90D4.) I'm in the United States.
I would return it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
The international version has the extra storage:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...le-paperwhite/

It's shown up in Canada and Europe.

If you want the extra storage then I would return the one you have and order a KPW from the product page for the international model. It has a different ASIN and everything.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Not mine

I've thought about calling them to ask why this one didn't have 4Gb but:

-they don't advertise the PW as having 4 Gb (the web site still says that it stores over 1000 books); and
-my old one had 2Gb and I never came close to maxing the storage (having collections sync across devices means I only store a few books on the device now).

I got this one with a 10% discount for having an AARP membership, so I've wondered if they were using the old stock for those orders.

If someone does care whether it has 4 Gb, I'd suggest calling before purchase to make sure it's going to have it, or maybe wait until next month to see if they announce a new version. (I'm replacing one I lost and didn't want to wait that long. The only thing that would make me buy a new version would be physical page turn buttons.)
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Hmmm. I wonder what they have up their sleeves by doing this? Wonder if they are doing anything else under the hood there...

Would rather a 4GB version too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
They probably know most buyers want 4GB so i am hoping the new one (assuming we get one of course) will be advertised as 4GB.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It's almost tempting enough to order one and sell my PW1. But I am more tempted to wait until they change the US product page.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I bought my PW2 in April but if the latest model is defintely 4gb then I'm ordering one, hubby can have my PW2 and we will sell the two PW1s
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
The real question, in my mind, is whether this means that they're distributing otherwise unsold product (IIRC the Japanese Kindles have always been 4 GB) in preparation for an entirely new model, or if this means that there won't be a 2014 refresh.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Does anyone know if the memory is soldered onto the motherboard or if it's an SDcard like some phones have? If it's an SDcard, the there may be a DIY way to upgrade your storage.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:21 AM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So is this the new Kindle refresh? Pretty disappointing if that's the case. I doubt that Kobo are going to rest on there laurels. Perhaps Amazon feels they can afford to.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
So is this the new Kindle refresh?
I doubt it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
The Dyslexic?

So, it comes with 3.1Gb instead of 1.3? Those seem like odd numbers.

Is it targeted at dyslexics?
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote